Technical review additional information

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DO NOT make this more difficult than what it is. Yes, it is a hassle when you have to reaccomplish a document, however, the board is trying to ensure that only engineers that are truly qualified are licensed. I would carefully rewrite each form, ensuring that the advice and counsel that I proffered above is carefully followed. Re do each form-- just do it. I would ensure that your references clearly understand what you did and in fact, it is real engineering work. Remember, the individual signing the recommendation/reference form is putting his/her license on the line for you. He/She is attesting to the jurisdictional licensing body/ board that the work is indeed real engineering work.

Sometimes, individuals will just sign the form, without a careful review of what is stated/documented/stipulated on the form. That is when questions generally arise. When you become licensed, you may be asked to attest to the relevancy and saliency of some candidate for licensure. You need to be real careful on what you attest to-- after all, your license is on the line. Many, many, many years ago when I became initially licensed, one of my references drilled that point into my head, hard. He was very clear on who he would sign a reference form for. I have never forgotten that. If I am asked to sign a reference form, I will want to see the work and really explore what the candidate did. Overkill, yes, probably by 1000%-- however, I am always very confident that after my review, there will be NO QUESTIONS asked by the board or anyone else. Just remember that when you are asked to sign/attest the work of someone else.

Dear All; I have another question; I thought I need to use my Master's Degree as work experience as well. This last Spring I completed my third semester and this fall I will be done with my Master's but before finishing I want to claim these past three semesters as work experience to cover my back in case if I am lacking some months. How can I claim that ? How can I calculate the months I can put as work experience for the three semesters I spent for my master's program? Do I need still a PE to sign or just one of my professors sign and then it would be OK?
@WingNut @CAacf @CaliPE @Calicivil

Dear All; I have another question; I thought I need to use my Master's Degree as work experience as well. This last Spring I completed my third semester and this fall I will be done with my Master's but before finishing I want to claim these past three semesters as work experience to cover my back in case if I am lacking some months. How can I claim that ? How can I calculate the months I can put as work experience for the three semesters I spent for my master's program? Do I need still a PE to sign or just one of my professors sign and then it would be OK?
I Still need help on this question I asked weeks ago. Any help on this would be highly appreciated. @CAPLS @CAacf Thanks all.

I've never seen where a state allows you to substitute time spent in a Masters program on a 1:1 basis for work experience. I *have* seen many states that will reduce your required work experience by 1 year after you have completed a Masters degree, but it's a mistake to assume that time spent in graduate school counts as "work experience."

I've never seen where a state allows you to substitute time spent in a Masters program on a 1:1 basis for work experience. I *have* seen many states that will reduce your required work experience by 1 year after you have completed a Masters degree, but it's a mistake to assume that time spent in graduate school counts as "work experience."
Thanks for your great response. I have not seen this on the board website but I heard that either you can claim your studies as education credit or work experience credit. Because you are practically involved in engineering designing, research and calculations during your studies for a master's degree. The big problem I see is that all of the professors are not PEs and that is hard to find a professor who is a PE too. Thanks. What do you think Sir? @CAPLS & @CAacf

An applicant may receive five years of experience credit for a Board-approved M.S. program, however you would need to have completed the M.S. program and your transcripts would need to show your conferral date. Experience credit will not be accepted for the three semesters.

And all four references need to be licensed civil engineers and must be familiar with your work experience, not your education or thesis/research/coursework.

Hope that helps!

Have you heard back? are you approved after you replied to their request?

I am in the same situation right now and Natalie King is not cooperating with me!

I have looked up the civil engineering definition and resend two additional reference forms and she still says that is not civil!!!
@CAacf
@CAPLS
@altezza3363
Can anyone help me? any suggestions?
Hi I am having the same issue with the same reviewer. After the first review, she rejected all 4 of my references because the experience seemed to be construction/project management and which does not require a license. I sent additional 4 references and now I am being told that my experience seems to be conformance review which is not civil engineering. I'm being asked to provide specific examples for engineering decisions/recommendations I've made during these engagements. Just wondering if you've had your issue resolved and if you've been asked for the same info? Also is you have any advice on what would be an engineering decision/recommendation? At this point I feel like anything say will be rejected, so just looking for ideas/suggestions.

Also having the same issue with the same reviewer...except apparently everything I do is traffic engineering, and not civil engineering. Funny because my coworker was able to have their application approved with no problem, so it must depend on the reviewer.

Also having the same issue with the same reviewer...except apparently everything I do is traffic engineering, and not civil engineering. Funny because my coworker was able to have their application approved with no problem, so it must depend on the reviewer.
I am also having the same issue, and just so you are aware I spoke with another administrator from the board and they said that there is only one civil reviewer.

I am also having the same issue, and just so you are aware I spoke with another administrator from the board and they said that there is only one civil reviewer.
Interesting. The board must be getting stricter then.

Back