Targeted Advertising to the Max

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudpuppy

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/dvr-camera-microphone-target-advertisements-based-recordings-users-014434311.html

No more sex in front of the TV!

Verizon has filed a patent on a new DVR technology that works by filming and recording viewers in order to send them targeted ads through their TV's.

. . .

just consider two of the examples Verizon gives of how its new DVR technology could be used: sounds of couples arguing would trigger ads for marriage counseling while sounds of "cuddling" would prompt ads for contraceptives.

There is a reason I don't have cable or phone company supplied equipment in my house.

There is a reason I don't have cable or phone company supplied equipment in my house.
Ya but you're a conspiracy theorist.... :p
Saved my bacon once already in a major way...
That's good I guess. For me not so much. Right now from my smart phone I can turn on my house lights, adjust the indoor temperature, or boot up my PC and get a file I need. ;)
If you can do it, so can 'they.'

conspiracy-keanu-meme-generator-what-if-big-brother-can-change-my-thermostat-15504f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems funny doesn't it? HAHA!

Well, the power companies have already started approaching folks about installing 'smart meters' which shut off your AC when the power company finds it convenient to do so. How many folks have their smart phone number listed as POC number for the power company?

If not, how hard do you think it would be for the power company to get the info from Verizon/T-mobile/etc?

How long before government regs make it very convenient, and financially beneficial for the power companies to do so? All in the interest of saving energy/the environment and/or energy independence.

BTW, my cabin the woods will be completely off grid.

For years, I've made it a policy to make up info for those store discount cards. Yeah, I know they can cross index the store card to the debit card used, but I figured, why make it easy on them. Plus, I know they sell that info, and I figured it cut down on junk mail.

So, I have a name, birthday, and address I use and just make up a phone number on the spot.

The other day, I had to get a Walgreen's card to get a discount and after giving the clerk all the information. She said the number didn't match the name I had given her, and she had to personally enter the information. When we got to the phone number she asked me to confirm that I knew the person at that number (she told me the name the number was in), and I told her, "I have no idea who those people are. I just make stuff up because I don't want y'all to have my personal info." She let me have the card.

But I was surprised they started cross indexing with your phone company info to confirm it already.

I have a made-up address and phone number for when I'm filling out the paperwork for those discount cards too. It's the same address everytime, and the phone number is just a transposed version of my actual number. Mostly just do it because I hate junk mail, but I kinda feel bad for the guy that lives at the address I give...

It'd be funny to use an address like "1313 Mockingbird Lane" and see if they get it.

As our lives become more enmeshed in the digital playground, we reveal more information about ourselves than ever before in the history of mankind. Every online search, store purchase, Facebook post, Tweet or Foursquare check-in is creating a flood of data that, when organized and categorized and analyzed, reveals trends and habits about ourselves and society at large.

In the last two years, humans have created 90% of all information ever created by our species. If our data output used to be a sprinkler, it is now a firehose that's only getting stronger, and it is revealing information about our relationships, health, and undiscovered trends in society that are just beginning to be understood.
More (and a video) at: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/finding-meaning-human-data-mining-041552391.html;_ylt=Ag5iwS2t_duHYWO.EQBJBR9g24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTIzbG9sODZtBG1pdANIQ01PTCBvbiBhcnRpY2xlIHJpZ2h0IHJhaWwEcGtnA2lkLTI4ODU5MzYEcG9zAzgEc2VjA2hjbQR2ZXIDMjM-;_ylg=X3oDMTM1Z2w1Z3M2BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDZjg0NWZkYzQtODM3Mi0zNGIxLWE3MjMtOGQ0NWVkZjVhZTFlBHBzdGNhdANwb2xpdGljc3x0aGV0aWNrZXQEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdl;_ylv=3

Back