Surveying exam time was not enough

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bakheat

Reaction score
Today I set for CA surveying exam, the exam was simple and tricky in the same time, the time is a great challenge . I am sure of 24 problems and guess for 31. Is there any hope  passing this tough exam !! time restrict

Yes, there is a hope for passing this exam. But in the case you don't pass (as it seems you're depending heavily on luck), you will definitely need to do more practice problems. Speed is key! I cannot stress enough how important it is to do all the practice problems you can get your hands on to help yourself get faster.

Today I set for CA surveying exam, the exam was simple and tricky in the same time, the time is a great challenge . I am sure of 24 problems and guess for 31. Is there any hope  passing this tough exam !! time restrict
Just study and review more for next time in case you don't pass. I took the exam this cycle and had plenty of time to get through the exam.

Just study and review more for next time in case you don't pass. I took the exam this cycle and had plenty of time to get through the exam.
Sam, thank you for reply, I solved tons of problems but I am slow enough to go through all the exam 😕What can I do??

You need to work on your speed. It doesn't matter if you can solve the practice problems. You need to solve the practice problems under timed conditions. Don't spend more than 2.5 min per problem.

Also, manage your time wisely. Don't struggle on a problem for ten minutes when you haven't even look at the rest of the problems. When you read a problem statement your thought process should be:

Do I know how to solve this? If not move one.

Do I know where in my book to find the solution? If not move on. 

If I can solve it, will it take me less than 2.5 minutes? If not move on.

Do this for each problem. You should get atleast 40 of the 55 this way if you are prepared. Then you should have 45 min to an hour to do the harder problems. 

This is something I had to shift my test taking strategy from. In college my strategy was, make sure I get the problem right. Be vary careful, make sure I'm not doing silly mistakes, and double check my answers. You simply don't have time for that. You need to answer each question as quickly as possible so that you can get a shot at each question.

If we use the numbers you provided, then (24 + .25 * 31) / 55 = 57% = you possibly may pass but be prepared to not pass.  

What was your timing strategy?  One problem at a time in order or did you scan for the easy/iest questions first?  

If we use the numbers you provided, then (24 + .25 * 31) / 55 = 57% = you possibly may pass but be prepared to not pass.  

What was your timing strategy?  One problem at a time in order or did you scan for the easy/iest questions first?  
Most problems were easy.BUT I am very slow comparing the time restrictions!! .My strategy was attacking the easest ones firist then diffecult ones. But again time ran out of me!!!! I am a good test taker. I passed FE last Jan and PE in last April first try and I did good with Seismic yesterday, but didn't feel good in survey exam not due to preparation but due to time restriction. any advice??!!

Most problems were easy.BUT I am very slow comparing the time restrictions!! .My strategy was attacking the easest ones firist then diffecult ones. But again time ran out of me!!!! I am a good test taker. I passed FE last Jan and PE in last April first try and I did good with Seismic yesterday, but didn't feel good in survey exam not due to preparation but due to time restriction. any advice??!!
There is no magic pill.  The advice is the advice I am sure you have already heard and already know.  Keep working problems.  Time yourself at home.  Start by picking 5 random problems and see if you can do them in 13 minutes.  Then pick 10 and see if you can complete them in 27 minutes.  Work your way up to 55 question practice exams in 2.5 hours.  You can do it.  Good luck.  

Sam, thank you for reply, I solved tons of problems but I am slow enough to go through all the exam 😕What can I do??
First of all, wait and see how you did. If you didn't pass, you gotta just take what you learned from the exam (types of questions to expect) and practice them over and over again to improve your speed. You made it this far in engineering, I'm assuming you know quite a bit about how to approach exams given your strengths and weaknesses. Just keep practicing and you can do it!!

First of all, wait and see how you did. If you didn't pass, you gotta just take what you learned from the exam (types of questions to expect) and practice them over and over again to improve your speed. You made it this far in engineering, I'm assuming you know quite a bit about how to approach exams given your strengths and weaknesses. Just keep practicing and you can do it!!
:rolleyes:

There is no magic pill.  The advice is the advice I am sure you have already heard and already know.  Keep working problems.  Time yourself at home.  Start by picking 5 random problems and see if you can do them in 13 minutes.  Then pick 10 and see if you can complete them in 27 minutes.  Work your way up to 55 question practice exams in 2.5 hours.  You can do it.  Good luck.  
:rotflmao:

After my mind relaxed, I found out that I am sure of more than 35 problems and guess on the 20...hopefully I will pass

Because I don't think it can be accurate.  I think one's memory would be most accurate and most correctly able to gauge the # of "feel-good" problems during the exam (and even that is subject to human error).  But trying to remember the number of "feel-good" problems after you leave the exam room?  Mmmmmm..... I don't think so.  ;)  

Back