Success Strategy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine is my guess strategy, I had about 48 questions are confident 100% to get correct, then for the remaining 32 questions. I make my choice base on how the other 48 questions's answer distrubtion was. For example, if B is most least choice of those 48 questions, then I will pick B for all the remaining 32 questions
I would have chosen an 'educated guess' method instead!

fine choice, but I still recommend my distribution method to anyone who planning to take the exam.

I make my choice base on how the other 48 questions's answer distrubtion was. For example, if B is most least choice of those 48 questions, then I will pick B for all the remaining 32 questions
That's impossible!

believe it or not, I did it with both FE and PE..it worked well for me. :D
All I was saying that you could not have known the answer distribution of ALL questions when you hadn't seen the 40 afternoon questions yet

mine is my guess strategy, I had about 48 questions are confident 100% to get correct, then for the remaining 32 questions. I make my choice base on how the other 48 questions's answer distrubtion was. For example, if B is most least choice of those 48 questions, then I will pick B for all the remaining 32 questions

I've heard of this working for others, however this kind of stuff never works for me, LOL!

Same here... having to guess on 32 out 80... with no clue on an educated guess, or how to work through the problem to at least come up with something reasonable seems like a real long shot.

I guessed on maybe 8 or 9 problems, the stuff I had no time to figure out. Everything else I was able to work to at least something resembling one of the choices right or wrong.

Same here... having to guess on 32 out 80... with no clue on an educated guess, or how to work through the problem to at least come up with something reasonable seems like a real long shot.

I guessed on maybe 8 or 9 problems, the stuff I had no time to figure out. Everything else I was able to work to at least something resembling one of the choices right or wrong.
I had an educated guess on 6 problems, I managed to get 4 right. After all, I had about 5 minutes to spare in both morning and afternoon.

For Civil PE:

I took an online course offered through Indranil Goswami of Morgan State University. In an introduction to the course he stated that there is no magic ticket and that we would all have to put our own time into working through the practice problems before he would review them with us in class. I worked every one of the problems he offered, took a 2008 NCEES practice exam and took a 2011 NCEES practice exam (online order). I only took the practice exams after getting through most of the practice problems from each discipline.

Overall, I found that the review course prepared me well for the morning session. Although most of the topics for the afternoon were reviewed during the class, I found that closely following the NCEES PE Exam Specifications and Design Standards (NCEES website) is essential to covering the necessary topics, because they were on the test (for structures atleast).

Since a decent amount of study time is needed, you might as well enjoy it as you brush up on important topics that are useful for your career! Best of luck and keep focused!

I am taking the Mechanical PE exam with T/F depth. I put in 8 weeks of studying for the April exam but quit studying before the exam because work became more demanding and I got scared. I do not want to let that happen this time. Fortunately I’ve been able to pick up where I left off with a few exceptions.
I’ve been going through the MERM, using college text as a reference, and working problems in the Kaplan workbooks. I have a practice exam, HVAC and T/F 6MS that I will begin working through later. After reading this thread I’m worried that I may ‘go rogue’ as I’ve done this in the past; chasing a topic/project down a rabbit hole to no end. I’ve been trying not to get hung up on math or obscure technicalities and focus on first principals and proper analysis methods. I started out last year by working problems in my old college text but that was a pain in the butt. These days I’ve actually been enjoying the Kaplan workbooks. We’ll see how it goes. I’ve put a lot into this test. I really hope I pass in October.
I passed TF ME first try. My advice is to really focus on the TF (depth) portion. I spent way too much time studying in depth machine design problems and to a lesser degree HVAC. Focus really hard on Fluids and Thermo. Also Heat Transfer is the one subject (in the TF depth) I don't think MERMs covers adequately. I would recommend pulling out Incropera/DE Witt (or whatever heat transfer book you have) and working some problems out of there. MERMs does not have enough good heat transfer sample problems.

Also if there is a smaller subject which you just cannot get - SKIP it! Chances are you will not get it on the test either. For me the subject I never could get was combusion (HHV, flue gas analysis and such) and to a lesser degree compressible flow.

Put the time in and you will pass. I estimate I put in over 400 hours of studying.

I am taking the Mechanical PE exam with T/F depth. I put in 8 weeks of studying for the April exam but quit studying before the exam because work became more demanding and I got scared. I do not want to let that happen this time. Fortunately I’ve been able to pick up where I left off with a few exceptions.
I’ve been going through the MERM, using college text as a reference, and working problems in the Kaplan workbooks. I have a practice exam, HVAC and T/F 6MS that I will begin working through later. After reading this thread I’m worried that I may ‘go rogue’ as I’ve done this in the past; chasing a topic/project down a rabbit hole to no end. I’ve been trying not to get hung up on math or obscure technicalities and focus on first principals and proper analysis methods. I started out last year by working problems in my old college text but that was a pain in the butt. These days I’ve actually been enjoying the Kaplan workbooks. We’ll see how it goes. I’ve put a lot into this test. I really hope I pass in October.
I passed TF ME first try. My advice is to really focus on the TF (depth) portion. I spent way too much time studying in depth machine design problems and to a lesser degree HVAC. Focus really hard on Fluids and Thermo. Also Heat Transfer is the one subject (in the TF depth) I don't think MERMs covers adequately. I would recommend pulling out Incropera/DE Witt (or whatever heat transfer book you have) and working some problems out of there. MERMs does not have enough good heat transfer sample problems.

Also if there is a smaller subject which you just cannot get - SKIP it! Chances are you will not get it on the test either. For me the subject I never could get was combusion (HHV, flue gas analysis and such) and to a lesser degree compressible flow.

Put the time in and you will pass. I estimate I put in over 400 hours of studying.
Thanks for the advise.

What reference materials, besides the MERM, do you suggest. I've heard that a good set of steam tables, ASHRAE handbooks, Cameron Hydraulic data, and CRANE T.P.#410 are all good references. Should I invest the time and money to become familiar with these? If not all, which ones? Thanks

Thanks for the advise.
What reference materials, besides the MERM, do you suggest. I've heard that a good set of steam tables, ASHRAE handbooks, Cameron Hydraulic data, and CRANE T.P.#410 are all good references. Should I invest the time and money to become familiar with these? If not all, which ones? Thanks
For T/F, I didn't use ASHRAE at all. I used the MERM for steam tables. And I used Cameron for fluids problems. I took the Crane TP #410, but didn't use it. Cameron and Crane have a lot of the same info in them.

Thanks for the advise.
For T/F, I didn't use ASHRAE at all. I used the MERM for steam tables. And I used Cameron for fluids problems. I took the Crane TP #410, but didn't use it. Cameron and Crane have a lot of the same info in them.
I think I'll buy copies of Cameron and Crane just so I have them on my book shelf. Unless someone recommends otherwise I think I'll skip the ASHRAE handbooks for T/F.

Thanks

I never bought the Cameron & Crane paper. Also I have never even seen an ASHRAE book.

The HVAC SMS is pretty good. With MERMs Practice problems that is all you need for HVAC. The HVAC problems you will see on the test are VERY easy. Don't spend too much time studying complex HVAC problems.

Separate steam tables are good. I had one so that I did not have to turn to the back of MERMs. Honestly though a lot of the time they will give you enthalpy values on the test. But it is good for studying.

My last piece of advice is to get Engineering Unit Conversions. I used this book a ton on the test. Units are cross referenced in every way. NCEES loves to throw unit conversion at you. You need to be very comfortable with going from Watts to HP to Btu/hr to ft-lb/s. It is best to have a book on the test and not try to have to do unit conversion. Believe me your mind will not operate as well on the test as it does during all your studying and practice exams. It is hard to anticipate the mental fatigue you will feel in the second portion of the test.

http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Unit-Con...g/dp/159126099X

Also make sure you completely understand open and closed feedwater heaters.

Gravy86,

GOOD ADVICE! I did thesame set of mind when I took the PE exam.

I just passed my PE Civil and am planning to go further with STRUCTURAL.Can you give also an advice if its worth pursuing it and the preparation required.

In the last 20 years, I focused more on the construction and I don't have much experience in the Structural Designs and I am willing to change my course and accept a new challenge.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just posted this as encouragement to the xx/80 thread:

I was a three time opener of a fail mail, and it is very discouraging. I Know now it's reflective of the effort I put into my weak topics. Every 6 months for two years, I'd get the anxious email and subsequent heart drop. I would run my diagnostics, feel depressed, wait a couple months and cram. This last time I finally got the hint. PRACTICE to become comfortable in EVERYTHING... & ONLY use the diagnostics as a tool to evaluate where you need more practice, then practice it over and over until you're comfortable (trust me, you'll know). DONT use the diagnostics to beat yourself up over an imaginary pass line. It's pass or fail, not failed it by 1 or passed by 2. Stay smart about it and You'll be successful.

Steps that helped me pass on the Fourth try:

1) Know your weaknesses & become comfortable in them

2) Sharpen your thought response (formula selection/use)

3) Tab your books for quick reference while #2 ing.

4) Develop a filter for superfluous information

I wish I would've understood this sooner, but to each their own. Don't start too early, and don't cram too much at the end. Just get well rounded, and imagine the diag's report showing an 80% in all cat's.

Back