Stupid cost savings ideas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
Geeze...they are really getting hard pressed with no budget in IL.  

They have turned the water down to just a mere trickle in all the faucets. 

They told us the use of certified mail is verboten until further notice.

The paper we have on hand for the copy machines is essentially the last we have, use sparingly

... because there ain't no environmental agencies in Texas.  Right???

Or just because everything is bigger in Texas, including the copier paper cabinet?

More like not run into the ground like large blue & cities, no unions in government, etc...

We have one bottle of white out for 9 of us..   You pick it up at the supply cabinet, use it, and put it back.  

they have cut back our day time janitorial crew to half days....the bathrooms are starting to suffer.  The overnight crew is worthless, they are the ones that should have been cut back.    

We have to print our own letterhead now. The template they gave us was embarrassingly bad. I redesigned it for my own use. The only color printer in the area is always low on color toner now too. Those things are expensive.  

the temp cleaning crew is using straight bleach, or in some cases what smells like stale bleach to clean everything, floor, counters, sinks....it is horrible.  The contact high I got yesterday followed by the headaches was horrible.  

the temp cleaning crew is using straight bleach, or in some cases what smells like stale bleach to clean everything, floor, counters, sinks....it is horrible.  The contact high I got yesterday followed by the headaches was horrible.  
I'm so glad that my department leases space from a privately owned and managed commercial building. Cleaning and maintenance are included in the lease. 

for those of you able to pitch serious cost savings ideas I would really recommend you research and then present the ditching of the clunky desk phone that your taxpayers pay thousands a year to lease to your city / agency / etc.. Can be replaced with Skype for business and a headset or speaker phone for like $150 bucks.. Those super nice desk phones generally are 2-3 thousand a year to lease.. Its literally the biggest no brainer in the history of earth... I was leery at first but its actually made my life so much easer.....

imagine if you have 2000 employees, replacing the phone system would save you literally millions... go get you a piece of that action.. of course the people that sell / lease the phones to your agency probably take your leaders to nice vacations and such...

My state has some stupid law that skype video has to be recorded and stored for "discovery."

Video is optional - works just like a phone and not like Skype from 10 years ago..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which agency are you with? I’m in IL, too, and the bleach cleaning problem seems to have died down...however the floors in our washrooms are atrocious. 

Back