Steak knifes...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Steak knifes....would you want to choose yourself or let someone else pick?

• I need to pick to make sure they fit my hands properly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
My mom is being crazy. She says she wants new steak knifes but when asked which ones she says whatever. No...that is not a viable option.

Get her a knife set from Target. Like, Chicago Cutlery. She'll be impressed that she got a full set of steak knives AND other knives AND a butcher block to hold them all. Mom will be happy.
Love my chicago cutlery set. But if she just needs steak knives and says she doesn't care what brand/size/cost/whatever, then maybe find a decent steak knife set. Or a bed bath beyond gift card or shopping trip?

Got a Tools of the Trade knife set for my wedding last year and it's awesome! Wish we knew who bought it for us lol

Fortunately, you don't have to go crazy on steak knives. Guests aren't going to treat them as anything special, and ceramic/enamel plates are hell on a sharp, non-serrated blade. So, stick to something serrated and half-ways decent and you'll see diminishing returns quickly (also stick to the thinner blades, not the "steakhouse" variety - the thinner/tapered blades cut much cleaner). If you want to splurge, Wusthof or Cutco make nice serrated sets. Middle of the road, Victorinox makes a number of wood-handled ones that are nice. I can't recommend Henckel anymore. Their stuff out of China just gets worse and worse.

I recommend the older cutco, they're usually more expensive when you find them but they last. I'm using the set my mom bought before I was born and only had to send two in for warranty over the years.

We honestly don’t even use our steak knifes that often, probably because we don’t cook food that needs them very often. We do have a 4-set of fancy French wooden handle ones, but I think we mainly use our old Chicago cutlery ones when we need them. Wüsthof is what makes most of our other knives and we loooove them!

We run Wusthof in our house. We also have a couple of Japanese blades, but I can't recall what brand. They're sharp as hell so we hardly bring them out because every time we do someone gets a secure strips.

We rarely eat steak at my house, so our steak knives are Target level.

Now since my wife can cook, our cooking knives are those Shun ones. Expensive but they are the best set if knives we ever owned.

The Shun steak knives are really nice (and readily available), but you need someone who will willingly care for them, because they're all non-serrated AFAIK and will dull quickly. That's probably why my parents never had good knives - my dad would always take the steak knives and go edge the yard with them. 🤦‍♂️

we use our steak knifes almost daily. steak, chicken, pork, anything that needs something sharper than a butter knife

Back