States that don't require prior board approval before you can register with NCEES for the PE Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osburg

Reaction score
I took the PE test in Texas in October. They didn't require me to send any form to the board before taking the exam. I am about to move to the North East. I hope I passed but in the case I don't. Do you know which states don't require prior approval before you can register with NCEES for the PE Exam?

Thanks

If you passed, just apply in Texas, and then you can get a license by comity in whatever state you move to.

If you passed, just apply in Texas, and then you can get a license by comity in whatever state you move to.
You are assuming that I will pass, if I don't: I wanted to consider where else I can just sit down, just to maybe visit another city, now that I moved, or drive somewhere nearby, saving the trip. Thanks.

Its not a straight forward to apply via comity or transfer a passing exam as you may think.
Can confirm. SC gave me issues when I applied for comity (was already licensed in 3 other states).

I took the PE test in Texas in October. They didn't require me to send any form to the board before taking the exam. I am about to move to the North East. I hope I passed but in the case I don't. Do you know which states don't require prior approval before you can register with NCEES for the PE Exam?
Any reason why you don't want to register with your new state's board beforehand? I'm guessing you don't meet the typical experience or education requirements just yet? If you don't pass, why not just wait until you meet your new state's requirements and study while you're waiting?

What is your current situation? Do you meet all the requirements to actually gain licensure in a state or are you just wanting to pass the exam and get that part behind you?

If you don't pass the exam, are your options for moving limited to the states that allow taking the exam without approval from a state board? If so, that doesn't sound like the best life plan lol

Contact the state board in which
You are assuming that I will pass, if I don't: I wanted to consider where else I can just sit down, just to maybe visit another city, now that I moved, or drive somewhere nearby, saving the trip. Thanks.
you are relocating to.

I hope you passed it. if not, New Jersey Board does not require an application to take the PE exam.

Can confirm. SC gave me issues when I applied for comity (was already licensed in 3 other states).
Will add to this as well since I was licensed in 3 other states as well at the time. SC was an absolute nightmare and that's coming from getting my initial license in California....
Took me almost a year to get my license in which Lenora was horrible.

Back