SOPE vs EET April 2020

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you guys recommend waiting until I receive my references to start watching the videos for the course or can I jump right in? I purchased the course (EET) a couple days ago and I got an email saying my references will ship on the 11th.
As I recall, the materials were delivered very quickly, so you probably don't have that much of a wait (and I'm in Hawaii). If you want to watch, I suppose you can start by watching subjects you are comfortable with. Don't know if I passed this last go around but the classes definitely helped; reorganizing my breadth materials these days just in case.

As I recall, the materials were delivered very quickly, so you probably don't have that much of a wait (and I'm in Hawaii). If you want to watch, I suppose you can start by watching subjects you are comfortable with. Don't know if I passed this last go around but the classes definitely helped; reorganizing my breadth materials these days just in case.
Awesome thank you!

I just passed Oct 2019 with the help of SoPE, first try.  They nailed the morning material.  They got about 90% of the afternoon Material.  I thought I had failed.  Key thing is to do practice problems over and over.  And Practice ALL OF THE MATERIAL THEY COVER.  The same question could be worded differently in an attempt to trick you.  My problem was always speed and making stupid mistakes.  Slow down, read carefully, then do the math.

I decided to take EET instead of SoPE after reading through some Reddit posts and advice from coworkers. My coworkers that took EET all passed, while only some passed for SoPE. One of the SoPE guys took EET with me, and we both passed our Transportation PE this October. 

EET breadth and depth binders are both wonderful. There is a wealth of information (examples and reference materials) that makes studying and taking the test a lot easier.

I'm happy to report that I passed the October 2019 Transportation exam. To those who are considering a study program, I strongly recommend doing it. I can't speak about School of PE, but I took the EET On-Demand programs for both the morning and afternoon sessions and can vouch for them. First of all, EET sends printed study guides to their students. Except for an occasional revision, you don't have to print anything for yourself. These study guides are well organized and complete. Most of the questions on the exam can be answered by referencing the EET material. Just be sure to spend enough time getting acquainted with the study guides and tab them well. I worked all the practice problems in both the AM and PM guides and took their practice tests. I think it made all the difference in the world. The level of difficulty of their practice problems is very close to that of the exam. They don't over prepare or under prepare their students. The guides not only provide good reference and practice materials, but they provide a structured study program to help you pace yourself and study the topics most pertinent to the exam. Their study videos are very good and available at all hours. There is no limit to how many times one may access them through the day of the test. I watched each one at least three times. Their instructors are good lecturers and always promptly answered any questions I had about the examples. I highly recommend them.

I failed in the Spring 2019 and passed in the Fall 2019. I took the School of PE both times, but I really didn't study very hard the first time around and mostly was distracted during the live video classes. In the Fall I decided to take it really seriously and really focused on the notes and paying attention in the videos. When I got to the exam I was humming and I was shocked that even problems that I had no idea when I initially saw them, I was able to use the SoPe notes to work through it and I actually solved them. I came in with a lot of confidence that second time and I left knowing that I passed. I highly recommend the School of PE. I have no experience with EET but I'm sure that it's comparable. Honestly it's all about the amount of time you put into it. I've talked to people who failed other disciplines and then they switched over to transportation thinking it would be easy but then they come out of it saying oh my gosh that was way harder than I thought. It is a PE Exam so it's going to be difficult otherwise anyone could do it.

Anyway no matter whether you do EET, School of PE or just study on your own you are going to have to put in a lot of time. 200 - 400 hours is not an understatement. The first time I put in maybe 100 hours and it really showed when I got to the test. This time I was around 250 hours and it really showed as well.

I think more than anything School of PE provided a roadmap for how to study. Like here's a problem and here's how you go through it step by step. But it's your job to study on your own doing practice problems and tabbing and working through things to get yourself ready for the exam.

Just advice to those looking to take it in the future.

I decided to take EET instead of SoPE after reading through some Reddit posts and advice from coworkers. My coworkers that took EET all passed, while only some passed for SoPE. One of the SoPE guys took EET with me, and we both passed our Transportation PE this October. 

EET breadth and depth binders are both wonderful. There is a wealth of information (examples and reference materials) that makes studying and taking the test a lot easier.
How much time do you think you put into learning the references ncees recommends bringing to the exam? In other words, did the EET binder provide a decent portion of what you need from those references or was watching the videos and doing the practice problems just part of the battle?

Congratulations to everyone who passed!
Just came here to add support for the EET courses. I did their breadth and depth (WRE) webinars and almost nothing else, and passed on my first attempt. The breadth was a GREAT refresher and you can tell that the folks putting together these binders and lectures are really familiar with what to expect on the exam. My boyfriend did their transportation depth and also passed on his first attempt (he is fresh out of school so didn't focus as much on breadth studying). The webinars were great because you can schedule them on your own time; I would recommend following the schedule of the live courses as closely as possible (the schedule is provided even if you are not enrolled in live). Also, some of the problem solving sessions and other live materials are available to attend live even if you are only enrolled in the webinar sessions so keep that in mind. For instance, if Nazrul adds an extra question/answer session or makes additional videos to cover material that wasn't covered in the last "season" you will have access to anything new. The webinars are described as being "last season's recordings" but you will actually have both, once the live sessions are recorded he posts them for all students to access. So you have the option to watch the current season's videos if you wait a day after they are scheduled to be recorded. The pacing was manageable; I studied mostly in the mornings (~4 hours) on Saturdays and Sundays and maybe 2-3 hours a night for 2-3 nights a week (total of approx. 20 hours per week max), so I was actually able to maintain some sanity on weekend evenings and weeknights when regular life demanded attention. 

I also cannot speak highly enough of the binders that are provided; these were worth the money on their own in my opinion, as they were my most crucial resource during the exam. Organizationally it can take some getting used to because certain sections of the binders are prepared by different people and have some varying formats; that being said, the professors and students collaborated to create a pretty comprehensive and helpful index for each binder that makes navigating the wealth of information much easier. I leaned very heavily on these binders in the exam, and hardly opened any other resources (I only used the CERM on 2-3 questions). 

To wrap up I will say, I know two people who did School of PE (one transportation and one geotech) and both also passed on their first attempt. Personally, the confidence I gained from EET went a long way; I actually FELT prepared and was psyched up to take the test and that energy/confidence carried me through the tougher moments when I may have otherwise panicked on a difficult question. Nazrul Islam was both an fantastic professor and an awesome support/encouragement, and that made EET well worth the money. 

I don't know anything about EET, but I took the School of PE prep course based on recommendations from a couple of peers that I know and respect, and I believe it was a worthwhile effort.  I took the online course for 6 weeks leading up to the October 25th exam and passed on my first attempt, Civil - Transportation.  There was a ton of material covered, I missed some parts of the course due to work / family, but was able to get to most of it.  The SOPE instructors were very knowledgeable and explained the subject well, in my opinion.  The big thing for me is to work problems.  I was able to answer some questions in the test that I wouldn't have been able to without the SOPE course. 

So I majored in Mining Engineering in college, but the past three years I've been working in civil transportation so I decided to do civil transportation rather than mining. I took SoPE in the Spring 2019 and failed and I actually wasn't even close. It really wasn't their fault as I didn't apply myself very well and I didn't take it seriously. They give you a free redo so I used it for the Fall exam and I really applied myself this time and studied hard and I passed easily (easily as in I knew the second I walked out of the exam I knew I passed). No experience with EET but it really is up to you on how you apply yourself.

No class is a guaranteed pass unless you put in the time outside of class as well. I'd recommend School of PE but it really depends on your schedule. I didn't really like the EET schedule format and the School of PE seemed more reasonable for my schedule. I did want to do live however as it keeps you accountable as opposed to the on demand.

I'm happy to report that I passed the October 2019 Transportation exam. To those who are considering a study program, I strongly recommend doing it. I can't speak about School of PE, but I took the EET On-Demand programs for both the morning and afternoon sessions and can vouch for them. First of all, EET sends printed study guides to their students. Except for an occasional revision, you don't have to print anything for yourself. These study guides are well organized and complete. Most of the questions on the exam can be answered by referencing the EET material. Just be sure to spend enough time getting acquainted with the study guides and tab them well. I worked all the practice problems in both the AM and PM guides and took their practice tests. I think it made all the difference in the world. The level of difficulty of their practice problems is very close to that of the exam. They don't over prepare or under prepare their students. The guides not only provide good reference and practice materials, but they provide a structured study program to help you pace yourself and study the topics most pertinent to the exam. Their study videos are very good and available at all hours. There is no limit to how many times one may access them through the day of the test. I watched each one at least three times. Their instructors are good lecturers and always promptly answered any questions I had about the examples. I highly recommend them.
Thank you for your response! I do have a couple of questions on the depth portion of the exam. How do you feel the course did on preparing you for the depth portion, and did spend a lot of time getting familiar with all of the recommended references for the transportation depth or was the binder sufficient in preparing you to solve the problems? I am almost through the breadth material for the course but I haven’t dove into the depth, and I’ve sort of seen on here that you have to know the NCEES references like the back of your hand. I was just curious as to what you thought about this.

One more question, I’m working through all of the examples and exams provided, and I’m considering working through all of them again when I complete the course if I have enough time, just because when I work through them I do miss a few questions here and there. Would you recommend working the problems through again, or is that a tad excessive?

Thank you!!

Ok so please let me get this straight. When signing up, I only need to sign up for this http://www.eetusa.com/classes/civil-pe/depth/transportation

The $550 on demand for Transpo - I don't need to sign up for anything for the morning?  Want to do it by the end of the month. Thanks!!
Only if you are going to study depth.. I would advise both breadth (which is also $550) AND depth because the AM is where you need to do extremely well on (atleast 36/40) to help you pass.

Did anyone who took the transportation EET depth course make a formula sheet for the binder or did you just tab it well? or both?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your response! I do have a couple of questions on the depth portion of the exam. How do you feel the course did on preparing you for the depth portion, and did spend a lot of time getting familiar with all of the recommended references for the transportation depth or was the binder sufficient in preparing you to solve the problems? I am almost through the breadth material for the course but I haven’t dove into the depth, and I’ve sort of seen on here that you have to know the NCEES references like the back of your hand. I was just curious as to what you thought about this.

One more question, I’m working through all of the examples and exams provided, and I’m considering working through all of them again when I complete the course if I have enough time, just because when I work through them I do miss a few questions here and there. Would you recommend working the problems through again, or is that a tad excessive?

Thank you!!
I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I do have what I think is good advice for you though. The depth course did a good job preparing us for the afternoon session. There were a couple of things on which the test hit us harder than EET did in the afternoon, but it's generally through.The binder material is probably 90% sufficient for the morning and afternoon tests. The others that I found helpful were the Green Book, the Roadside Design Guide, the Highway Capacity Manual, the MUTCD and the CERM. Take the CERM with you. I ran into several questions whose answers were found in the CERM and in none of my other references. They're easy pickings if you have it, but not if you don't. Spend a lot of time getting to know your references. I can't stress that enough. If you don't know them through and through, you will waste a lot of valuable time searching for the information you need. Take your time and thoroughly tab your binders and the rest of your references. Work as many problems as you can. You can't work too many of them. Do the problems in the text. Take the quizzes. Take the practice tests. I worked all of them at least twice. I did hundreds of problems. I worked my way through the morning and afternoon material, then took the last month to go back and review both the morning and afternoon problems to make sure I didn't get rusty on the morning material while working on the afternoon stuff. The practice tests will show you where you need to concentrate. I'll come back and check within the next few days. If you or anyone else reading this have any questions, I'm happy to help. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back