Snow Chains

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
In order to make sure it doesnt snow any more this winter I am going to order some snow chains..

I have a 2WD Dodge Durango, I was thinking about getting a better set for the rear wheels and a light duty set for the front?

Or is it a waste to get them for the front wheels since its rear wheel drive?

I figured it would be cheaper to spend $150 on snow chains than to rush out and buy a 4WD Expedition this weekend.. ;)

Of course once I have these it wont snow as long as I keep them in my garage... I had some for my ford ranger about 10 years ago, i only got to use them once in a 7 year period but damn they worked!

On a related note my sled from costco is all but destroyed due to heavy use this winter. there are some really cool ones online but I know my kids wont ever get to use it if I order some...

Seriously? How many times have you needed snow chains before this week? If you are going to waste money do it on something fun like hookers and blow.

:p

Snow chains for the front of a RWD vehicle are a waste of time and money. I will never forget, at age 13 or so, watching a guy put snow chains on the rear wheels of his VW Rabbit. It didn't work out so well for him.

snow chains only on the back, secured weight between the rear wheel wells in the box.

Seriously? How many times have you needed snow chains before this week? If you are going to waste money do it on something fun like hookers and blow.
:p

I could have used them a couple of times, my inlaws live in north, north carolina, seems every christmas we either get snowed in up there..

they have some light duty ones for less than 50 bucks, medium duty for 100 and then they have some apaprantly made of solid gold for $300..

On behalf of all of us stuck here up north.

BOO FREAKIN' HOO

(I shoveled for 50 minutes this morning just to get out of my driveway)

But you DO NOT put chains on the front wheels ever, even if 4wd.

Save the money from chains, go get a POSI TRAC carrier for your rear end on your truck. I swear, a truck with Posi traction and some weight in the bed will go about 90% of the places a 4wd will.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess in your area removable chains might not be a bad idea. I've lived in Boston my whole life. My family always drove full size GM cars RWD with (for the the most part) no posi. We ran real snow tires (not all-weather tires) and never really had an issue.

Often times we get studded snows. We are legally allowed to run them from Nov. to March.

Historically, emergency vehicles (Fire/Police) would run chains but only during the snow storm while snow accumulated on the road. As a DOT guy you know chains chew up the pavement, so is the damage worth it?

One one car site I go to, I guy suggested using rope as a quick and dirty "tire chain" for the situation where the car was stuck on snow/ice. The car would need open wheels where one could just tie some loops around the tire at 3-4 spots. I thought that was a great idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
We put them on all of the cop cars and dot trucks that didnt have 4WD when we started this mess..

and you northern assholes can laugh all you want but with me working at DOT, and my wife being a nurse, staying home isnt always an option when it ices, which we get more than snow...

We ran real snow tires (not all-weather tires) and never really had an issue.
I agree. Get a set of Blizzaks.

and you northern assholes can laugh all you want but with me working at DOT, and my wife being a nurse, staying home isnt always an option when it ices, which we get more than snow...
Yeah, a lot of folks from up north don't really realize that you can drive in snow, not in ice, and ICE is what the south gets 95% of the times they said it 'snowed' down here. My uncle used to make a lot of money on icy days pulling 4wd trucks and Northeners out of the ditches. Where there is no traction, there is no control.

Yeah, a lot of folks from up north don't really realize that you can drive in snow, not in ice, and ICE is what the south gets 95% of the times they said it 'snowed' down here. My uncle used to make a lot of money on icy days pulling 4wd trucks and Northeners out of the ditches. Where there is no traction, there is no control.
Stupidity is totally independent of geographical location. It has always amazed me how many people don't realize that even though you have 4WD, you still have the same contact patch as everybody else when it comes time to slow the f$%k down or turn.

I say trade for a 4 wheel drive Explorer....I just bought a 2006 model about 3 months ago and to me, it's the perfect vehicle. paid $14k for it, it's an Eddie Bauer 4x4.

With gas prices going up, it WOULD be a good time to buy a used BOF 4X4. I'd go for a Tahoe, personally.

You don't think our water freezes at 32degrees up here or something?

We got rain for a bit yesterday, then it froze, then we got 5 inches on snow on top of that frozen water stuff. I'll trade for your "ice" anyday.

:D

Our slush/slurry mix on top of the unknown frozen water stuff is pretty fun to negotiate.

I'm just giving you southerners a hard time, but if you seriously think you can top us with winter weather woes, then you must be insane. just sayin'

Actually DV...I kinda agree, except what makes it worse here is the government is ill equiped to deal with it. We get a little snow and the roads are toast for days sometimes. Other than that, I would think it's similar, just less of it here.

You don't think our water freezes at 32degrees up here or something?
Yeah, but the DOT is equipped to handle it up there. I lived one winter in IL, and the driving conditions were much less dangerous, despite much more snow, than down in the south. here, all they do is fling some sand on bridges and some interstates. That's about all the CAN do.

I'd agree we are usually better equiped to handle it. but, like anything else, the DOH budgets for a certain amount of salt and other supplies, so last winter, they ran out halfway thru since it was a bad winter. I think because we had 5-6 mild winters in a row, they got complacent and lowered the budgeted amounts. Then got jammed last year.

I figure alot of that goes on everywhere though

Living in New England and now living in the South, I can vouch for it being much easier to drive in New England in crappy weather. Like Captain said, it's usually ice because they don't budget for plows/sand/salt, and nobody in the area is equipped for it, so everything turns to solid ice. I used to have zero issues driving with RWD up North, but felt a legitimate need for it down here, and borrowed MIAF's Honda accordingly.

The worst part is the other drivers, though. As Flyer mentioned, the concept of momentum and the limitations of friction seem to completely elude most southerners thought process. Half go too fast and brake about 50 yards too late, whereas others will drive 15 on a highway that's barely got residual moisture on it, never mind ice and snow.

Back