SE's (or aspiring SE's), What Kind of Work Do You Do?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitfire6532

PE Wannabe
Reaction score
I do very simple structural engineering in the residential field and have no intention of obtaining an SE licensure. A PE license covers everything that I do in my current field, and can't imagine many SE's work on such small projects.

So for those of you that already have the SE, or are currently working towards it, what field of work are you in? What is it that makes you want to obtain the SE license, and how will it benefit your career? I love structural engineering work, and would love to hear from some of you in more advanced/complicated field.

There are 6 structural guys in my office, one has a PE, the other two have SEs (three of us are EITs). We do a good chunk of residential work, but one of our main clients is a contractor that builds 90% of the charter schools in our state. Our office does the architectural and engineering work for those schools. Because it is a school, the drawings must be stamped by an SE. I haven't decided on getting my SE license yet (Just passed PE exam in October, not eligible for licensure yet), but the schools is the main reason in our office for encouraging SE licensure.

Most of my work is commercial / heavy industrial, also including schools and emergency response facilities. When Alaska adopted the SE licensure, they set limits on what could be designed as a Civil PE and a SE. As I've worked on several emergency facilities, a SE was required. Thankfully I already had by Civil PE and was able to get the SE through grandfathering. However, I'll have to take the 16 hour exam to use it in any other state.

Most of my work is commercial / heavy industrial, also including schools and emergency response facilities. When Alaska adopted the SE licensure, they set limits on what could be designed as a Civil PE and a SE. As I've worked on several emergency facilities, a SE was required. Thankfully I already had by Civil PE and was able to get the SE through grandfathering. However, I'll have to take the 16 hour exam to use it in any other state.
Ummmm. How did i not know you were an SE?

Wow, very interesting that they grandfathered SE licensure in Alaska, I have never heard of anything like that! Really lucky for existing PE's, but certainly a bummer for new PE's.

Several states have had a short time period where currently licensed PE's could "grandfather" into a different branch once it was recognized by their state boards. Alaska actually had 2 separate grandfathering periods for Civil PE's that wanted to get their SE's.

As most states have adopted similar regulations on the branches of licensure over the past 5-6 years, the ability to grandfather is significantly reduced.

Forensic engineering with emphasis on steel structures and welding. Lots of cracks and corrosion!

My state doesn't require passing the SE exam, so it's mostly for my own personal growth as a career milestone.

Wow, very interesting that they grandfathered SE licensure in Alaska, I have never heard of anything like that! Really lucky for existing PE's, but certainly a bummer for new PE's.
They had a program to grandfather PE’s in Georgia in the last year. I believe Applicants had a 6 month window to apply. It was my understanding that if you were a PE based on passed PE Civil Exam and you had a history of being EOR for designated structures (Risk Category III-IV and/or buildings with occupied floor at 45 ft elevation or higher) , you could get SE license there.
Is there anyone here who has actually got SE license in GA through grandfathering? How difficult was it?

I did SE primarily for my personal growth and to make myself stand out from a “crowd” of a large number of PE’s from different CE disciplines
I felt like my portfolio didn’t do the justice of my engineering skills and design experience.
I have worked in a growing small town for 9 years doing a lot of custom high end residential 3-4 story structures out of all construction materials and some small commercial and low rise condo work. My state doesn’t require SE. My original foreign engineering BS degree is not worth anything in this country. I’ve got a BS degree in CE from an average school in US just to be able to get licensed. I don’t have a master degree from a well known school or anything like that.
Passing SE Exam and obtaining SE license helped to make myself to stand out in structural engineering field and was a big plus in my recent job search when I decided to relocate and make some changes my professional career. Every potential employer I talked to gave a lot of respect for having SE. One even said that it was equivalent to at least masters degree in structural engineering. But the cost of passing SE was 5 time less for me than the cost of getting Masters Degree in structural engineering :)
SE really helped me to get a number of good offers and choose the job and company I liked the most despite of not having experience in the software they use or in type of structures they design. The new work will certainly require SE license at some point.

I'm in Illinois. I've done a lot of large jobs over the course of my career working under somebody else (high-rises, offices, schools) and eventually other states will require an SE to design those. My career will be severely limited if I don't get the SE (halfway there, need to pass the lateral exam).

I do low rise buildings (mostly wood), foundations, and quite a bit of mixed metal jobs.

Granted I got my SE before the current NCEES SE exam was out, I'm quite glad that I got it. (Yeah, I had to take four (4) 8 hour tests.)

If anyone is on the fence about trying for getting their SE or not, just think about it this way. Even if you spend $10k on books, review courses, and the heartache of studying after finding out that you had failed your previous attempt... it is a small drop in the bucket compared to your earning potential as well as your job prospects over the rest of your career after you pass.

I did SE primarily for my personal growth and to make myself stand out from a “crowd” of a large number of PE’s from different CE disciplines
I felt like my portfolio didn’t do the justice of my engineering skills and design experience.
I have worked in a growing small town for 9 years doing a lot of custom high end residential 3-4 story structures out of all construction materials and some small commercial and low rise condo work. My state doesn’t require SE. My original foreign engineering BS degree is not worth anything in this country. I’ve got a BS degree in CE from an average school in US just to be able to get licensed. I don’t have a master degree from a well known school or anything like that.
Passing SE Exam and obtaining SE license helped to make myself to stand out in structural engineering field and was a big plus in my recent job search when I decided to relocate and make some changes my professional career. Every potential employer I talked to gave a lot of respect for having SE. One even said that it was equivalent to at least masters degree in structural engineering. But the cost of passing SE was 5 time less for me than the cost of getting Masters Degree in structural engineering :)
SE really helped me to get a number of good offers and choose the job and company I liked the most despite of not having experience in the software they use or in type of structures they design. The new work will certainly require SE license at some point.
I have a Masters Degree in Structural Engineering and I'm working towards getting my SE someday. But I would say that the SE is worth more than the Masters in the Structural Engineering world. You can finish the MS in 3 to 4 years while taking 1 or 2 classes per semester and having a good idea how to pass your classes. But the SE has so much material to study in a short period of time while not knowing the passing score of the exams and how to specifically improve your exam when you fail.

Bridge engineer with 5.5+ YOE. Experience is in new bridge design, plenty of rail replacements, and some seismic retrofits sprinkled in. Took both SE Bridge exam components for the first time in October and passed both. Very pleased and surprised with that since I came out of both morning sessions assuming that no afternoon score could help me.

I live in a western state and one of the major clients requires an SE for bridges.

I do bridges. I work at a big firm, my state does not require SE. I think it eventually will because neighboring states either require it (IL) or recognize it (KY). We do work in those states so it helps. I have a masters in structures (thesis on seismic of floor diaphragms) and PhD in structures/materials (dissertation on concrete bridges). Other than stamping (when required) I would say SE worth the effort and money. It adds to your portfolio even if it is only because not so many around you have it.

Last edited:
I own an Engineering Firm, Quanta Engineering. I do small scale Structural Engineering, but mostly focus on Mechanical Engineering, spanning multiple industries. I am currently a Mechanical PE.
I have sat for the SE. It was brutal. And I studied a lot. I will probably take it again.

Back