SERM Bridge Reference - Finding coefs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudd333

Reaction score
In the SERM there are several references to Moments Shears and Reactions For Continuous Highway Bridges. These references don't explain where the coefficients and formulas are coming from and I am having trouble locating them. 

On the attached PDF I think I was able to locate the gamma factor for example 8.16 in Table A4.0 of the mentioned reference above. Mmax is coefficient is at the center of span 1 and Md coefficient is at the very bottom listed as "total area".

However, in Example 8.2, the same formula is used but with "a" as the coefficient (M=awL^2). This example is referring to lane loads only and I'm unable to find where that is pulled from.

This feels like such an easy yet crucial step in calculating moments/shear for bridges so if anyone can shed some light on these formulas or give any tips on the reference I would greatly appreciate it. I'm a buildings guy so AASHTO and anything related are foreign territory.

View attachment Bridge_forum post.pdf

If you google  Moments Shears and Reactions For Continuous Highway Bridges , you can find a copy of that reference and read through some of their examples. I did this and it was very helpful in understanding what they were talking about.

I got the same problem, but I don't think we need it because the bridges questions only in the mornings so I think they will concern about specific other requirements than this which is considered as analysis,  it I agree whith you I got difficult to find out the factors values for the moment, shear and even the influence line.

Back