Self Studiers - What Resources did you use?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I passed the PE ME exam

I purchased the PPI2Pass class, just because my employer would reimburse me after passing, and I found it completely useless. In my opinion, the only resources you need for the mechanical portion is the MERM, NCEES Practice Test, Six Minute Solutions, and copy of the ASHRAE books to better understand concepts. 

PPI tries to sell tons of resources but they are all just condensed versions of the MERM - equation book, practice problem book, etc.  The video lecture playback function is terrible. The lecture notes are directly copied from the book, no additional insight from the lecturer. Don't waste your money on this service.

Structural PM

I used only the CERM for the morning and did not study for it. I only read through and highlighted the geotech section. I believe using the index is all you need when you read the problems properly and keep track of units.

I read through the structural section of the CERM twice and highlighted sentences and equations here and there that I felt were important. Then I took the NCEES practice exam as if it were exam day and then studied from those problems afterwards.

Electrical and Electronics:

Used the PPI review bundle.........concentrated on going through the book 3 times, taking notes on each chapter then organizing them before the test. Biggest thing was going through all of the review problems, examples, and sample tests (PPI and NCEES, 2 come with the package). Towards the end, I took out a few books from my college's library on Communications, Control Systems, and an overall Electronics handbook. 

Ended up passing the first time so it must have been enough...........
Pretty much exactly what I did. I also borrowed some antenna/rf books. Youtube was also quite helpful.

That's great . Could some some one suggest me how to get question bank for electrical and electronics?

read the problems properly and keep track of units.
Yes!!  I was far enough out of school and not doing much design at work that I was out of practice and had to be very conscious of this!  I missed several of the first practice problems I worked due to little mistakes like units.  Never had an issue with this before, but once I realized, I made sure to double check myself every time.  Just because you get one of the answer choices provided, doesn't mean it is the correct one!

Civil-Structural

CERM and a bunch of practice exams. I also count my failed attempt at an excellent study tool, because it always helps me to know what to expect as far as conditions and how well or unwell I did to use and grow from. 

Also many pep talks and support from fellows on the boards and also at work. My biggest hindrance is always test anxiety and just panicking, so that's what helps me the most. I am terrible at the actual act of "studying" unless I know exactly what is going to happen. 

Industrial Engineering

I passed the PE exam in Industrial Engineering in April of 2017.  I had a really hard time finding study resources to use for the exam.  I ended up creating my own study binder for the exam, and passed it on the first try.  After my frustrating experience studying for the PE exam, I created my own study guide.  All the topics outlined in the NCEES Industrial Engineering PE Exam specifications are explained, with multiple example problems for each specific topic.  My study guide contains over 250 solved example problems, a glossary of 270 industrial engineering terms and definitions, and all the necessary engineering tables.  I have also included my personal email for feedback on how to improve the study guide, and to answer questions.  Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578612798?ref=myi_title_dp

Last edited by a moderator:
you can get study materials here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CIVIL-PE-EXAM-Study-Mat-Tips-AM-TRANSPORTATION-Depth/312916080549?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item48db4077a5:g:MVwAAOSwPeRd5Hgt&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWZ59hx55SpWXgzbqt99mRzuqdDf4Lz74QXTRUN6fOKZ9OdBUCIWmGjmmZ2taLtw8TmzdAUJLGxYMUuV13jYvWoV2tqi88uXqPFgni5DZmfDwoBSHfkL5RaIMQ2nPj6ao4SvqHSGmSUXzD2v%2B1Ny85mWAHqIoteHFdKw05xOUbPOsBP%2FBtG%2FMOFGi0FKjb7v62Ozv8Z09x12gvtg7roTcxYmQTs4HCVD4NaPv9nYxjYcMSGwNPb7Sr5XLDKB%2FM1NQyLlT5FYdI4VoWuoHAhuy7J7%2BUGnNQgS7nyoRl9qGDqUpdNbOkTmzhQYBG9lQvmCEMWZLdqCuWSSsTFNZT3lLGz2lIjjq1P%2FmmiLbP9wFs0GoukLKVwWyIrEGikZKVMo7yCDj193iNTf3i0tDTw%2FlcTjk5Ayo5Rw%2BlD4Z5aZLWdfd5Z2AhPCa3IkjD9oioQYT8qgJmfZ%2BiV0xz2UwO7APhC7CZE75WCkubDxljoUYKHsC76feo%2FTDhsQ9163iZO50OOTYgjIw%2Fz6nFIUzklpKo%2BuLxSniMncTh0mB%2BM2t0YkJSdNQGJEpgnbP9n0W015qOwtLysdBxhTQwHl%2BGii0jsCULnT7LzH%2FKkysN26x3Dy9Y%2FbmICQvoLX6jnbs32lCmYCM3AZJFQnke5GmoByBlyQmZNKcnHuqc5MqqBZyXax%2FGuikm5LI5sXtF4PSJRJFm%2FgX%2B9hwrjbbUGwq2Jk63vZcohxCsIyGtD667BlmQtEw%3D%3D&checksum=3129160805497ef4e1607d4d4ccaacd44b4ad23c1d4b&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWZ59hx55SpWXgzbqt99mRzuqdDf4Lz74QXTRUN6fOKZ9OdBUCIWmGjmmZ2taLtw8TmzdAUJLGxYMUuV13jYvWoV2tqi88uXqPFgni5DZmfDwoBSHfkL5RaIMQ2nPj6ao4SvqHSGmSUXzD2v%2B1Ny85mWAHqIoteHFdKw05xOUbPOsBP%2FBtG%2FMOFGi0FKjb7v62Ozv8Z09x12gvtg7roTcxYmQTs4HCVD4NaPv9nYxjYcMSGwNPb7Sr5XLDKB%2FM1NQyLlT5FYdI4VoWuoHAhuy7J7%2BUGnNQgS7nyoRl9qGDqUpdNbOkTmzhQYBG9lQvmCEMWZLdqCuWSSsTFNZT3lLGz2lIjjq1P%2FmmiLbP9wFs0GoukLKVwWyIrEGikZKVMo7yCDj193iNTf3i0tDTw%2FlcTjk5Ayo5Rw%2BlD4Z5aZLWdfd5Z2AhPCa3IkjD9oioQYT8qgJmfZ%2BiV0xz2UwO7APhC7CZE75WCkubDxljoUYKHsC76feo%2FTDhsQ9163iZO50OOTYgjIw%2Fz6nFIUzklpKo%2BuLxSniMncTh0mB%2BM2t0YkJSdNQGJEpgnbP9n0W015qOwtLysdBxhTQwHl%2BGii0jsCULnT7LzH%2FKkysN26x3Dy9Y%2FbmICQvoLX6jnbs32lCmYCM3AZJFQnke5GmoByBlyQmZNKcnHuqc5MqqBZyXax%2FGuikm5LI5sXtF4PSJRJFm%2FgX%2B9hwrjbbUGwq2Jk63vZcohxCsIyGtD667BlmQtEw%3D%3D&checksum=3129160805497ef4e1607d4d4ccaacd44b4ad23c1d4b

Industrial Engineering

I passed the PE exam in Industrial Engineering in April of 2017. I had a really hard time finding study resources to use for the exam. I ended up creating my own study binder for the exam, and passed it on the first try. After my frustrating experience studying for the PE exam, I created my own study guide. All the topics outlined in the NCEES Industrial Engineering PE Exam specifications are explained, with multiple example problems for each specific topic. My study guide contains over 250 solved example problems, a glossary of 270 industrial engineering terms and definitions, and all the necessary engineering tables. I have also included my personal email for feedback on how to improve the study guide, and to answer questions. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578612798?ref=myi_title_dp
There is a 2nd edition out for the Industrial & Systems Engineering Professional Engineering Exam Study Guide

Back