Seismic Review Courses: Heiner/Seismic Design Review vs. Ibrahim/AEI

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jespal01

Reaction score
I plan to start studying for the seismic exam in February. I'm debating between signing up for courses from Heiner and Ibrahim. For those who have used their courses, can you tell me your experience? Is there a consensus about which instructor's course is better?

I remember when I was debating the two also because most people that I knew who took seismic swore by Hiner.

After reading several reviews and also talking to a few friends who took AEI, I went with AEI's course. One reason being that I liked that AEI videos were unlimited (meaning you could rewatch them as needed), whereas Hiner's was limited on something like 40 hours.

My experience with AEI was great, considering I was able to pass the exam on my first attempt and I have no structural/seismic background. Everyone's experience is different since I do know people who weren't able to pass with AEI or Hiner.

I really liked AEI but I put in the work, so be prepared to put in the hours to watch all the lectures, do all the workshop problems/quizzes, and you will be set up for success. I felt like the AEI workbook truly had everything you needed to bring into the exam, minus a couple PDFs that they provide you that you should print out and put in a separate thin binder with your cheat sheets.

The instructor is also very thorough with his videos and is easy to reach out to if you have any questions.

I also had Hiner's workbook but only looked through the practice problems/exam in the back. If you compare the two workbooks, you will find differences in some of the formulas because of the different approaches, so I wouldn't recommend trying to learn both because you'll confuse yourself. It also seems like with Hiner you will need to supplement with other materials.

One reason being that I liked that AEI videos were unlimited (meaning you could rewatch them as needed), whereas Hiner's was limited on something like 40 hours.
I'm leaning towards the AEI for this reason. Like you, I've got colleagues who swear that Hiner's course is the way to go. However, I want the ability to rewatch the videos. I'm studying for the surveying exam now using the CPESR study course and the ability to rewatch videos has been valuable.

Back