SE Exam Oct 2019 Result

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean as part of the compensation package is it 106k + X% yearly bonus.  Set aside the SE for a second.

Honestly, I think your compensation is fair man.

Shop around if you get a better offer (after the SE that is), take it.

106 K

8 years

PhD, PE, PEng

WA

Not sure,

So, how much should be my salary after passing the exam?
 May be underpaid depending on where you live in WA. Living in Seattle, which cost of living is almost double the southeast in which average structural engineer with more than 6yrs experience (~licensed PE) in my firm makes around 85k-90k. I'd either push for 10% raise or find a company that will value the SE more to get a better wage if $$$ is your motivating factor. 

It should be noted he also has a PhD
PhD means nothing if you are in wrong position/company I guess, which I have and I get way underpaid comparing with he got... My heart and wallet is broken now.

This may be the wrong thread for this, but since we're all just waiting for S.E. results I figure it couldn't hurt to ask...

Is it just me, or does it seem like the only way to move up in pay, responsibility, and title in the structural private design sector is to bounce around from company to company every 3-4 years? I would love to hear other's opinions especially if you work in other regions outside of Southern California if this is common everywhere?

In my own Experiences: Having a Ph.D. (especially if you're coming into industry at entry-level straight from academia), it may help you during the interview process when being compared to the other pool of applicants, but it certainly doesn't equate to higher pay (at least not here in California). Of course there are exceptions if you land some niche at a specific firm that does R&D or some sort of specialized services which requires a Ph.D., but I'm speaking specifically to your typical structural design firm. I work along side Ph.D.'s with the same amount of work experience as me (I stopped at Masters) and we make the same salary (plus or minus a $1/hr). I've talked to Professors, Principals, and Partners and have been told by all that while having your Ph.D. helps you technically, it certainly does not equate to higher pay, promotion, etc....in fact one principal even told me they have shy'd away in the past from hiring a Ph.D. because they tend to make some tasks way over complicated which isn't good when you need to stay under budget...(not sure if fully agreed with their logic, but I'm a small fish here..) 

I interviewed recently with a professor here at a local university because I'm interested in heading back to academia, and he told me point blank "do not pursue this Ph.D. if you're wanting to be paid more if you return to industry, it wont happen".

For those thinking they are underpaid, please take my unsolicited advice with a grain of salt, but I would highly recommend finding a way to make yourself indispensable and looking at different avenues for growing your personal business.  What I mean by that as it relates to the SE is what helps set you apart in your company and does it get the company more revenue or a new marketing tool or anything like that?  Without getting into too much detail, I have 12 years of experience now and do pretty well.  There is no doubt in my mind that many of you are better true engineers than me, but I lucked into an opportunity where I got to head a structural and geotechnical group based on my varied experience and ability to deal with clients, not really based on my licensure or extreme structural knowledge, and I've moved up from there.  This is lucky for me because I don't think things like business development are my strong suit. The reason I bring this up is because I may have lucked into my situation, but I think it could help get your wheels spinning as to how to parlay what you do into different avenues.  To make more money, you want to theoretically make it so your company wants to pay you more money and rid yourself of the mindset of "I need X years of experience and Y licenses," and more of a, "What do I or can I bring to the table that sets me apart from other structural engineers in my company or elsewhere?"  Your role matters more than your years/licenses/education, so you have to find ways to grow your role.  Just my two cents.

JP87 -- I was going to post this yesterday too.  All the biggest bumps I've ever got have been leaving my job to hire in at a higher level elsewhere.  I've seen some folks leave an A/E, and actually return 6mos to a year later to get hired in at a higher level.  I know a lot of that has to do with head counts and other bean county kind of things. 

I have much respect for those with Ph.D, however, I've seen no discernible difference in roles / responsibilities when working along side some.  To me Phd is only useful if you plan to remain in the academic sphere.  I'd rather get PMP or MBA,  (in addition to engineering masters) as opposed to PhD if were speaking strictly career development.

No updates on the result release? Looks like it might not even be until mid next week?

JP87 -- I was going to post this yesterday too.  All the biggest bumps I've ever got have been leaving my job to hire in at a higher level elsewhere.  I've seen some folks leave an A/E, and actually return 6mos to a year later to get hired in at a higher level.  I know a lot of that has to do with head counts and other bean county kind of things. 

I have much respect for those with Ph.D, however, I've seen no discernible difference in roles / responsibilities when working along side some.  To me Phd is only useful if you plan to remain in the academic sphere.  I'd rather get PMP or MBA,  (in addition to engineering masters) as opposed to PhD if were speaking strictly career development.
It really depends on the work.  If your PhD helps you to do things that others can't in a company, then you should get paid more.  In my experience, I have found PhD graduates to get too into the weeds for the type of work we often do.  But if it happens more than once or twice, then that's my fault for not properly addressing that.  In the consulting engineering industry, of course you want to design the best structures, but you also need to be mindful of deadlines and budgets.  Getting a PhD doesn't mean you can't operate in the consulting world, but it also doesn't mean you can.

And without a doubt, I've worked at 3 companies and the biggest bumps have come from the switch.  Frankly, I would have stayed underpaid and underappreciated forever because I loved working at my first company.  Lucky for me (not for others), they got shut down for political contributions and so it's helped my career substantially by opening my eyes to other opportunities.

Does anyone else check NCEES religiously now?  I think I check every hour.  It's been too long since I last took it, so I forget whether the email comes out instantly when it's up.  Even if it's instant, I feel like I'll continue to check anyway.

Based on my friend who received her PE Results yesterday (and had multiple tabs open) the email is pretty instantaneous.

Back