SE Afternoon concrete and steel problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babyface

Reaction score
How shall I prepare the PM for the concrete and steel problems? Anyone can recommend books?

I don't have any books to recommend but if you are interested in taking a course - I would highly recommend AEI. I took both exams for the first time in April, and felt very well prepared just following the online lectures/ class binders (passed vertical, failed lateral by a couple AM questions). I didn't need any additional resources outside of the class binders and codes. Good luck with the study.

Agreed. I got both PPI books and AEI class with the binder for the vertical exam.
I also got NCEES SE exam book. NCEES exam was definitely not as difficult as the real exam.
AEI practice exam was closer to the difficulty of real exam. I used PPI books for extra practice to reinforce some topics that I didn’t feel very confident about after covering them in AEI class. I probably overstudied for AM vertical portion since I did not do a single guess in AM and prepared just right for PM. That’s how I felt about the exam, but passing result means I’ll never know my actual score :). Maybe I passed just by 1 point.
I doubt you can prepare properly just by doing some textbook problems. You really need a guide like AEI to walk you though all possible topics in just 100 days.

Agreed. I got both PPI books and AEI class with the binder for the vertical exam.
I also got NCEES SE exam book. NCEES exam was definitely not as difficult as the real exam.
AEI practice exam was closer to the difficulty of real exam. I used PPI books for extra practice to reinforce some topics that I didn’t feel very confident about after covering them in AEI class. I probably overstudied for AM vertical portion since I did not do a single guess in AM and prepared just right for PM. That’s how I felt about the exam, but passing result means I’ll never know my actual score :). Maybe I passed just by 1 point.
I doubt you can prepare properly just by doing some textbook problems. You really need a guide like AEI to walk you though all possible topics in just 100 days.
Hi Be-n, can you be more specific about the PPI books?

Hi Be-n, can you be more specific about the PPI books?
I had the whole package they sell for their SE class. I also had a list of homework problems they recommend for their class. I practiced some of PPI HW assignments in topics I did feel very confident about after AEI class. It is not because AEI class was not good enough. It was because I was just pretty bad in those topics to begin with.
I don’t think PPI has updated their books yet for the newer codes. So, I’m not sure how much sense it makes now to buy their entire package now.

Back