Scaffolding Help - Civil Construction Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmr

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some guidance on a scaffolding textbook that can help me get practice with calcs. I studied Samir's videos and slides a ton but it didn't seem to help. I have no experience with scaffolding so my only thought is that I need to start back at the intro level. Any refrences you can offer to help me fill this gap in my studies would be greatly appreciated, as we all know there are several scaffolding questions on the exam. 

Yes, shoring/reshoring
For shoring & reshoring - ACI SP4 - ACI347R (included in SP4).  With that, I believe you also get access to the ACI spreadsheets for each scenario (1S/1R, 2S/1R etc). I had trouble at first and I want to say I watched the EET lessons a few times but really took my time going through it.  It eventually clicked and made sense enough where I thought I could get by on the exam. 

For shoring & reshoring - ACI SP4 - ACI347R (included in SP4).  With that, I believe you also get access to the ACI spreadsheets for each scenario (1S/1R, 2S/1R etc). I had trouble at first and I want to say I watched the EET lessons a few times but really took my time going through it.  It eventually clicked and made sense enough where I thought I could get by on the exam. 
I agree. It's like once it clicks, it becomes simple. In addition to working sample problems, try to include a detailed description of each stage so you have that extra guidance.  In the end if you don't fully understand all cases, don't let this take away from covering other topics.  Double check the test specifications but you may only see 1 or 2 questions related to this.  There's a chance it could be a simple case that you breeze through.  Ao while it's important, don't focus so much that you run out of time for other stuff. This topic seems to be the 1 that catches everyone. 

I agree. It's like once it clicks, it becomes simple. In addition to working sample problems, try to include a detailed description of each stage so you have that extra guidance.  In the end if you don't fully understand all cases, don't let this take away from covering other topics.  Double check the test specifications but you may only see 1 or 2 questions related to this.  There's a chance it could be a simple case that you breeze through.  Ao while it's important, don't focus so much that you run out of time for other stuff. This topic seems to be the 1 that catches everyone. 
I did exactly this.  I printed out each scenario with enough space next to each stage to write out what's going on in each stage (ie, slab is "wet" cannot support itself all load to shore level X.  Load at shore level X = slab + self weight).  Then I wrote out the load combination at each level to justify the spreadsheet numbers.  It all really clicked after about 5 stages.  It just becomes more of a bookkeeping exercise at that point.  Just be aware of the little nuances/traps where they pull out an intermediate level shore and you need to distribute loadings.  That's where physically writing out the loading in the stage helped. it really is just something you need to take the time to sit and think about what's going on.  It's a very strange topic and it's overwhelming but it really is pretty simple once it clicks.  You'll have that "a-ha" moment and then beat yourself up for overcomplicating it.

If you asked me to do it again today, I probably couldn't.  I don't think I'll see it again in practice either (I hope).  

I did exactly this.  I printed out each scenario with enough space next to each stage to write out what's going on in each stage (ie, slab is "wet" cannot support itself all load to shore level X.  Load at shore level X = slab + self weight).  Then I wrote out the load combination at each level to justify the spreadsheet numbers.  It all really clicked after about 5 stages.  It just becomes more of a bookkeeping exercise at that point.  Just be aware of the little nuances/traps where they pull out an intermediate level shore and you need to distribute loadings.  That's where physically writing out the loading in the stage helped. it really is just something you need to take the time to sit and think about what's going on.  It's a very strange topic and it's overwhelming but it really is pretty simple once it clicks.  You'll have that "a-ha" moment and then beat yourself up for overcomplicating it.

If you asked me to do it again today, I probably couldn't.  I don't think I'll see it again in practice either (I hope).  
This seems to be the best description I've seen on how to take notes on this topic. Thanks for sharing!

This seems to be the best description I've seen on how to take notes on this topic. Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome.  Obviously, every one is different.  That strategy worked for me, or at least I felt it did.  Couldn't say if I got the exam questions(s) correct or not.  I think I did some Googling as well and read like 15 different approaches/explanations as well.

It really isn't a "difficult" topic.  As long as you understand what's going on and make sure you are careful to conserve all of the loading throughout the system you should be fine.

Just assume “minus 1” if you get this question on the exam and move on from this subject.

spent hours trying to figure this out and never did. It wasn’t worth the time investment for me.

youve got at least a 25% shot.

Just assume “minus 1” if you get this question on the exam and move on from this subject.

spent hours trying to figure this out and never did. It wasn’t worth the time investment for me.

youve got at least a 25% shot.
There's always this approach. Nothing wrong with throwing a dart. Especially on a topic where you might only get 1 question. If you put the focus on the morning and have a nice little bank of "free" wrong answers, I'd go this route as well. Or at least skip it until you complete the rest of the exam and go back with whatever time you have left. I had plenty of time left to complete the exam, check the ones I was certain on, and then go back a try to solve some that stumped me. I think I only flat out guessed on 2-3 questions. On the other ones where I wasn't entirely sure, I was able to work into a number close the solutions and went with that..

There are a couple detailed shoring/reshoring examples in ACI 347. I worked through them a few times until I got a better handle on it. I also noted in some practice exams which problems were shore/reshore and redid them as extra practice.

And as some other commenters have said, it doesnt hurt to guess. i guessed at one of the transportation questions on my last attempt and got it right

Back