Riddle me this batman

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for the ....

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

and a little bit for the ......

JR

I HAVE to print that picture out and hang it up in my cubicle, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. And every time I am on the phone with one of our "construction interface" managers, I will look at it and sigh.

Treadmill technology has so many promising applications in the transportation and military industries:

Twist...

How about the same Jet/Treadmill but add frictionless casters to the treadmill's base. Huh?

Would a Fat Naked old man in a lawn chair petting a persian cat:

a.) Shoot nerf darts at it

b.) Release the gimp

c.) Pick taco bell out of kitty's fur, maintaing visual w/ experiment

d.) Not care, 180 chair and surf internet chat rooms

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to write to mythbusters.
Mythbusters did an episode on this exact theory.

The gang put a small single prop plane on a long tarp attached to a pickup truck. The plane's take off speed was determined to be 25mph. The truck pulled the tarp at a rate of 25mph, and the plane accelerated to 25mph. The plane was basically not moving in reference to the ground.

The plane did in fact take off!!!

MaPE,

You almosty there. The runner is pushing off of a moving surface, the conveyor,.

The airplane is not. It is pushing aginst the air.

it wouldn't matter, except for friction in the wheels, if the conveyor was traveing a million miles per hour.
Except this thing called heat, the tires would explode from the increased pressure from the increased heat from the increased friction energy imparted from the wheels traveling a million miles per hour. Eventually a tire will blow apart. Chances are so slim they'd blow at the exact time. Once a tire blows, if the proper lift was not acheived, then this thing called gravity forces the planes landing gear on the belt, and has a higher coefficient of friction, and creates an off balanced friction lateral force, which creates an unblanced moment about the plane to the right or left, and then the plane crashes on takeoff.

Well, that is, if the plane did not have automatic thrust vector control capability to automatically compensate. :bag:

nice question for HS science students, not professionals who should have some knowledge of aerodynamics. 

assuming 0mph wind speed, if the plane is stationary relative to the surrounding air there will be no lift.

how in the world did i get here?

All I would 'really' care about is that the snacks on the plane were abundant and free of charge.

However, isn't this all up to the Bernoulli principle?  As I recall from Physics, it only needs enough air passing over and under its wings to get me to Disney World this summer.

Back