Resources for Welding

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonhnny123

Reaction score
Anyone have good suggestions on reference books for welding?

This is not for the PE exam. I want something that can help me choose and size welds based on the application (for example what size fillet weld do I need between two plates that have x amount of stress).

Resources i use:

Design of Welded Structures by Blodgett --> design methodology and sizing

AWS D1.1 --> application and weld material strength. this is the authority.

AISC Steel Construction Manual --> application and weld material strength

NiDI Welding of Stainless Steels and Other Joining Methods --> stainless steel welding

I primarily utilize the first three books that Porter listed. Blodgett is considered a welding bible by some.

As I am in a seismic area, I have a copy of AWS D1.8 handy as well.

HTH

If you are fabricating any structural stainless steel, AWS D1.6 will have design jurisdiction just about anywhere in the States.

Excellent, thank you for the help. I think I may pick up "Design of Welded Structures" as that seems most likely what I'm looking for. I'm primarily trying to educate myself more on welding,

Be sure to check here: http://www.jflfoundation.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=24

Lincoln Electric sells quite a few books that are too cheap and valuable NOT to own. Some other ones include "Design of Weldments" by Blodgett, and "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding."
I purchased books after reading this post and I was very pleased at the quality of these resources for very cheap.

Glad to hear it, Lincoln has always done an exceptional job in that department.

Back