References for the Construction Depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All:

Grab any and all practice problems and use the above references while you study, especially the NCEES Practice Exams. Write your solutions down clearly and concisely, and mark where you found the reference information – you will be able to use these solutions during the exam if you put them into an organized binder and tab them so you can quickly reference your material. Organize your reference material around you during your study sessions similar to how you will have it during the exam (i.e., books on the floor in your bag and a couple books on the table in front of you, or in your box crates, etc.).

Best of luck,

passthecivilPE

www.passthecivilPE.com - Special Discount NOW on the new passthecivilPE Guide Book

Has anyone purchased passpe.com's Construction PE Depth Review Module by Dr. Shahin Mansour? I found it while using Google... just wondering if anyone has used it and likes it or if it isn't worth the money...?

Link to the module is listed below...

http://035a5f2.netsolstores.com/constructionpackage1amtopics-1-1.aspx

Unfortunately I bout it about a week before the test and I wished I'd had it all along!!! I would saved myself ALOT of money!!! I found this book to be one of the most useful and helpful ... it goes over all the construction AM & PM topics with beautifully typed up notes and awesome problems ... I HIGHLY recommend getting both the AM & PM constuction reference book and the practice problems ... i didn't get the CDs so I don't know about those but the books were about $130+shipping ... best 130 you could spend for construction, imo ... very comprehensive too!!!

My reply would be late but for the sake of people who will take the future Construction Module, I will recommend the Construction Module book of Dr. Shahin Mansour. I used it, I passed. Try solving other problems from other books/references and use Mansour's reference to fully familiarize yourself. The book of Rjapanske (???) is a joke !

Currently building references to study for April 2014 exam, but have a few questions I thought someone might be able to help answer!

1. For NDS Wood Design, 2005 or 2012? NCEES website says 2005 but seems like it would have been updated by now?

2. Steel Construction Manual, 13th or 14th edition? I have the 13th edition from undergrad, tabbed, and noted. Also NCEES says 13th edition, but I read that some people get the 14th edition. Any thoughts on the differences that might affect an exam taker?

3. ACI 318-08. I currently have ACI 318M-08 from my undergrad, tabbed and noted. I think the M just means "metric". Is this going to be a huge issue or can I just convert?

4. OSHA 29CFR 1926. I see a 2008 and 2012 version on Amazon, any thoughts not the differences?

I've been skimming the forums and see some good stuff on other references, but was quite worried about all these "version" questions based on the NCEES reference list.

Thanks for any help!!

Andrew

Andrew, in general I usually suggest just buying what the ncees website tells you to. You probably won't get anything wrong, but there may be one question. If i were you this is what i would do,

1. get the 2012 NDS version, you will probably only use this book one or twice and a newer version he better, also ncees wil probably update to this version soon, so for resale value this is better.

2. keep The steel manual you have- 13th.

3. Get the ACI 318-08, and not the metric. It won't be a huge issue but might make your life a little easier during he test.

4. Get the OSHA version 2012 just make sure it is 29CFR1926.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Mark

Has anyone found the IBC useful as reference on either Breadth or Construction Depth PE exam?

Thanks!

bring all the reference code book listed on ncees website.

for the depth test, u need those codes/references for OSHA, roadway construction, concrete construction.

I didn't have SP-4 reference book, and i missed 2 simple questions which u can get answer from books directly.

every question counts.

I'm really hoping someone has some insight as to whether the new addition of the ACI MNL-15 Field Reference Manual, 2016, American Concrete Institute,
Farmington Hills, MI, www.concrete.org is necessary. Isn't it just a collection of various ACI specifications?

I'm really hoping someone has some insight as to whether the new addition of the ACI MNL-15 Field Reference Manual, 2016, American Concrete Institute,
Farmington Hills, MI, www.concrete.org is necessary. Isn't it just a collection of various ACI specifications?
As per my experience this October, there were multiple questions from MNL-15, so it is necessary to have it for the depth portion. I think a lot of the contents are different from the ACI specs, MNL has lots of tables which most of the questions are from those tables. 

Back