Reciprocity Delaware to Pennsylvania PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGonz

Reaction score
Looking for any help on this. I was recently told by someone I might have to retake the PE exam when applying for reciprocity to another state. I don’t believe this is true and wanted to get some opinions from someone who went through a similar situation.

I graduated from an ABET accredited school in 2011.I’ve worked at the DOT since I graduated. I’m a resident of PA and passed the EIT in PA two years ago. I recently passed the PE in Delaware and got licensed in Delaware. I’m completely aware I will have to wait 4 years after passing the EIT to apply for reciprocity in PA.

1. Has anyone applied for reciprocity from these two states?
2. Can anyone confirm I will not have to re-take the exam?

Go to pals.pa.gov and click the Application Checklist button. A checklist of application requirements will be generated based on your responses to the questions. In general, licensure by comity (or endorsement) doesn't usually require retaking an exam.

I am in NJ. My PA is pending. You don't have to retake the NCEES exams. They are universal. It doesn't make sense to have to retake the precise exam you've already taken. I wonder if NCEES would even allow it. As I understand it, the nuances come in the timelines and experience attainment. Some are very particular. I understand PA to be one of them.

It was explained to me when I started the process a long time ago that it is always better to be licensed initially in your home state then transfer to others, than trying to go around your state to get it in an "easier" state and transfer back. I do not know how true that is, but it made me do my home state first.

Back