Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think everyone is going to experience different things when it comes to the PE, even within the same industry.

Case in point: I had a terrible attitude regarding the PE because of my experience with the first consulting firm I worked at. It was a private company and your salary was based on your performance. I literally witnessed other engineers take and pass their PE exam, and not only were they not able to sign their own drawings, they wouldn't even get a raise. After I got raises, I thought, "Why should I pursue my PE? If I pass, they'll just say, 'We just gave you a raise'." I was immature about it and not thinking long term.

Some companies will pay for a PE review course and even for your exam. Others will give you a raise if you pass the exam, but they wait until you receive your license. I was fortunate enough to be given a raise the day they found out I passed.

it really sifts my flour
I'm totally using this at my next meeting. In 20 minutes.

As someone who needs background noise to work efficiently and quickly
I'm an office earplugger/earmuffer. Sometimes if I'm feeling REALLY wild I use those YouTube channels with the brown noise and/or rainscapes. I'm boring even in my own brain. Really, I'm just cursed with loud talkers as cube neighbors.

I'm totally using this at my next meeting. In 20 minutes.

I'm an office earplugger/earmuffer. Sometimes if I'm feeling REALLY wild I use those YouTube channels with the brown noise and/or rainscapes. I'm boring even in my own brain. Really, I'm just cursed with loud talkers as cube neighbors.
I sometimes use rain or water sounds to help me focus. But I also find it relaxing so then I fall asleep.

I sometimes use rain or water sounds to help me focus. But I also find it relaxing so then I fall asleep.
I usually throw on LoFi Girl or similar youtube music channels. That seems to strike the right balance for me.

we keep a case of ramen in the back of the cabinet. It is a go to favorite of the kids.
Although we got one of those in the cup the other day and you can't microwave them any more.

We buy quite a few of the microwaveable ramen bowls, because Junior really likes to eat them for lunch. Harris Teeter has a decent selection. My two go-to items are Nissin Hot and Spicy, and Maruchan "Taste of Asia" tonkatsu, which is actually better broth than some of the restaurants around here, sadly.

Maruchan also makes good yakisoba noodles (haven't had any bad ones), but the Nissin "chow mein" teriyaki is straight up nasty, watery goo. We had a whole box of it from BJ's, and we usually end up tossing the sauce packet and mixing in some bouillon paste or something for flavor instead.

If the job rec says Master's required PhD preferred, would you still apply if you had a bachelors, your PE, and 20 year's experience? And if you do, would expected consideration for the position?

If the job rec says Master's required PhD preferred, would you still apply if you had a bachelors, your PE, and 20 year's experience? And if you do, would expected consideration for the position?
Yes I would still apply. It can't hurt. I don't know which industry you're in, but these days, so many places are having a difficult time finding qualified employees. If you have the experience then yes, definitely apply.

"I've been told" the positions where a PhD is preferred just means it shows your competent in research, and not something that X-years of experience displays. It probably just depends on who is looking at the candidates. I would still apply with confidence, especially if the quantity of experience is translatable to the position.

"I've been told" the positions where a PhD is preferred just means it shows your competent in research, and not something that X-years of experience displays. It probably just depends on who is looking at the candidates. I would still apply with confidence, especially if the quantity of experience is translatable to the position.
Thanks. 10 of my years in design were at a research and development firm where... I did research... and development. :)

Back