Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, I used to love BK over McD’s when I was a kid. I only broke down for McD’s happy meals when they had the mini beanie baby giveaways, but even that wasn’t worth doing more than once.

Nowadays, having no children to feed, I probably would only go to In n Out (whose fries are actually pretty bad) or, if in CA, some random burrito place, if I’m not providing for myself already. That’s how we found the best burrito spot right off the highway in a grocery store center, in Davis, CA.

After just over 12 months of living with my parents, we finally closed on a house Tuesday morning! I worked all day Tues, Weds, and Thur loading up our storage units and moving into the new house. There is still some stuff at my parents' house I need to load up, but the bulk of our belongings are moved. I hurt my back and ended up with a swollen Calcaneal tendon Tuesday evening, but Advil helped me push through the rest of the move. It was the least I could do to get my wife moved since she put up living with my parents for so long. I'm excited to be getting fast internet again. We have 1 gig fiber in the new neighborhood for cheap. I'm getting 620 mbps download on my phone over wifi! Will have to see how fast wired is. There is also a 5G tower within eyesight, so I get 320 mpbs download on my phone. If the fiber goes out, I'm still good to go. We plan on moving the kids over there today which will be their first time at the house. Henry finally gets his own room and won't have to sleep in a laundry room (he's only 15mo so he didn't need much anyways)!

Now that we've closed, I can apply for a car loan to get my wife a new car. I ordered the Tesla Model 3 from Carvana and it should be here Sunday afternoon. We're going to try it out for the week to see if we really like it for a family car.

Hunting season also starts this Saturday, and the weather isn't too hot!

We're 20 min from my hunting club, 15 min from my gun club, 3 min from a brewery I'm a "founding member" of, and 1 min from Publix.

the-office-michael-scott.gif

For the first time in my career, I get to invoice the client or architect after submitting my design. I also have the authority to bill for extra hours if changes are made by the owner, architect or HVAC designer which affect our design. I must admit its very satisfying.

For the first time in my career, I get to invoice the client or architect after submitting my design. I also have the authority to bill for extra hours if changes are made by the owner, architect or HVAC designer which affect our design. I must admit its very satisfying.
working for yourself?

working for yourself?
No. I'm just given the authority when to invoice, the amount, and when. I should clarify though: I don't actually submit the invoice. I fill out the form instructing the office admin how much, whom to bill, the amount, etc. The office admin then submits the invoice and enters the information in our system and she keeps up with the actual invoicing and when we get paid and all that. It's a small company with 10 employees, (3 PEs), so whomever stamps the drawing for that particular project is tasked with filling out the invoice forms.

No. I'm just given the authority when to invoice, the amount, and when. I should clarify though: I don't actually submit the invoice. I fill out the form instructing the office admin how much, whom to bill, the amount, etc. The office admin then submits the invoice and enters the information in our system and she keeps up with the actual invoicing and when we get paid and all that. It's a small company with 10 employees, (3 PEs), so whomever stamps the drawing for that particular project is tasked with filling out the invoice forms.
ok, got it. well YAY! happy for you and your new responsibility! :)

I wish I could do engineering work and not just project management work.

There is absolutely no point in my having my PE.
Not 100% true. I have never used my PE in the 15 yrs I've had mine. But it was helpful in other ways My input was taken more seriously once the PE was after my name. I was no longer that young, inexperienced female regulator anymore. The change in respect level was very clear.

Not 100% true. I have never used my PE in the 15 yrs I've had mine. But it was helpful in other ways My input was taken more seriously once the PE was after my name. I was no longer that young, inexperienced female regulator anymore. The change in respect level was very clear.
Couldn't have said this better myself. It's stupid, but some people act differently now.

more money?
Lol, in federal it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference, especially in a non-technical/engineering agency.

@snickerd3 that does make me feel a little bit more better. I feel like I just leave bad a bad impression even with the PE, since I call people out on **** when they try to mess with my projects.

Lol, in federal it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference, especially in a non-technical/engineering agency.

@snickerd3 that does make me feel a little bit more better. I feel like I just leave bad a bad impression even with the PE, since I call people out on **** when they try to mess with my projects.
oh yeah... i totally understand. i had a federal client who told me, "get your PE, make more money, then come over to the feds. they don't give you anything here for it"

Back