Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We saw a black racer that was ~3' last week and I tried to catch it. I was close, but naturally it was faster than me. I would've just let the kids pet it then release it.

I came across this cute garter snake today and I'm trying to convince my wife to let me and the kids keep it as a pet. He's about 6" long.

PXL_20210817_185445046.jpg

I recently had one of these little guys in my backyard, probably about 2.5 - 3 feet long. I was going to try and catch it and release it somewhere else. But my dog caught it and killed it.

Last edited:
So on this next edition of animals spotted in the backyard, we introduce Cornelius:

turtle.jpg

When I was letting the dogs out I saw him way across the yard and I thought to myself, "Why is that rock moving?" I hadn't had any coffee yet.

Drove by a HUGE snapping turtle on the way to the gym last Friday. Sadly, it had been smooshed. I'm not sure what it was doing so close to home, because there are no bodies of water around there aside from the pond in the neighboring subdivision, which is a long ways away in the opposite direction.

So on this next edition of animals spotted in the backyard, we introduce Cornelius:

View attachment 23413

When I was letting the dogs out I saw him way across the yard and I thought to myself, "Why is that rock moving?" I hadn't had any coffee yet.
Hi Cornelius! Thank you for not being a snake! :)

Just as a follow up, Junior's and Mrs. Supe's Lenovo desktops have been running flawlessly, and have been running the games we play on "epic" settings without any perceivable hiccups or frame rate drops despite having "only" a 1660 Super card in them.

However, I have not been so lucky, and have encountered FPS drops and even audio issues with my older machine on games that SHOULDN'T be taxing the systems with graphics, but are optimized pretty poorly by small developers so they are resource hogs.

So as not to be one-upped by the wife and kid, and due to the fact that when I'm sad/stressed I buy totally unnecessary ****, I ordered a new machine (through BJ's of all places) because its the only way to get near-list pricing and availability on graphics cards these days. So I have a liquid cooled i7 unit coming with a GTX 3070, 800W PSU, 16GB RAM, and 1TB SSD, which will handle pretty much everything I could possibly need (including 4K and VR) until way down the road when 8K gaming becomes the standard rather than the norm. I will probably add another 16GB of RAM and a WiFi card to the old machine and move it into the theater room in case I want to game or fart around up there.

I also upgraded to a Razer Basilisk mouse for gaming since I don't like corded mice, and a set of HyperX Cloud II headphones/mic, and both have been great.

Just as a follow up, Junior's and Mrs. Supe's Lenovo desktops have been running flawlessly, and have been running the games we play on "epic" settings without any perceivable hiccups or frame rate drops despite having "only" a 1660 Super card in them.

However, I have not been so lucky, and have encountered FPS drops and even audio issues with my older machine on games that SHOULDN'T be taxing the systems with graphics, but are optimized pretty poorly by small developers so they are resource hogs.

So as not to be one-upped by the wife and kid, and due to the fact that when I'm sad/stressed I buy totally unnecessary ****, I ordered a new machine (through BJ's of all places) because its the only way to get near-list pricing and availability on graphics cards these days. So I have a liquid cooled i7 unit coming with a GTX 3070, 800W PSU, 16GB RAM, and 1TB SSD, which will handle pretty much everything I could possibly need (including 4K and VR) until way down the road when 8K gaming becomes the standard rather than the norm. I will probably add another 16GB of RAM and a WiFi card to the old machine and move it into the theater room in case I want to game or fart around up there.

I also upgraded to a Razer Basilisk mouse for gaming since I don't like corded mice, and a set of HyperX Cloud II headphones/mic, and both have been great.
So now for the 49" curved monitor?

So now for the 49" curved monitor?
I actually have a 34" LG 21:9 monitor with a slower refresh rate, but 21:9 stuff with higher refresh rates and 1440/4K/HDR support is still WAY more than I'm willing to pay, so maybe in a couple years when they come back down to earth. Won't go back to 16:9 since it doubles as my work monitor.

In case you don't like to listen to good quality Christmas music, this YT has a muffled, barely recognizable, mix that just might make your skin crawl with how out of time it is (being posted here in August). Hope you hate it.

Back