Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! They've got a year warranty by default which is nice vs piecing one together myself. And at least the Lenovos will take any make of RAM for easy upgrades. HP (which I'm not a fan of in the first place) has a slightly better spec'd machine for the same price, but has some BS proprietary BIOS deal that will only recognize the way overpriced HP-branded RAM, which is an instant "no thanks" from me.

Thanks! They've got a year warranty by default which is nice vs piecing one together myself. And at least the Lenovos will take any make of RAM for easy upgrades. HP (which I'm not a fan of in the first place) has a slightly better spec'd machine for the same price, but has some BS proprietary BIOS deal that will only recognize the way overpriced HP-branded RAM, which is an instant "no thanks" from me.
Wow. I have never heard of this. That's insane.

Anyone have any experience with Lenovo desktops (I've always had good luck with their laptops)?

Looking to pick up a pair of them for my wife and daughter so the family can do some basic gaming together (middle settings on 1080p is pretty much all we need).

With the insane price and limited availability of graphics cards right now, I can grab a Lenovo 5i tower with a GTX 1660 Super, SSD, i5 processor, B560 mobo, 8GB RAM, Wifi/Bluetooth card, 400w PS, Win 10 and basic peripherals for $950. The 1660 Super cards right now are going for $500 alone, so I don't think I could even build it for less right now.
It's funny you mention a Lenovo gaming rig with those specs. Literally, I bought this laptop yesterday... from Costco..... for $700!!!!! (It's $1200 on Amazon)
EDIT: was supposed to be $1000. The sign was wrong. Costco honored the price though. <3

Attachments

• 20210804_150051.jpg
    20210804_150051.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up! That's a screaming deal on that. Mrs. Supe might actually prefer a laptop, and that would save us some bucks, even with the $60 Costco renewal (we switched to BJ's because its much closer, and now that I work from home, Costco isn't on the way anymore.)

Thanks for the heads up! That's a screaming deal on that. Mrs. Supe might actually prefer a laptop, and that would save us some bucks, even with the $60 Costco renewal (we switched to BJ's because its much closer, and now that I work from home, Costco isn't on the way anymore.)
I should add, it doesn't seem to be online. I found it my local store. So your milage my vary. Here's the sales tag if that's helpful. (I took lots of pictures for comparison shopping purposes.) Maybe you can call and ask if they have it before renewing.

EDIT: was supposed to be $1000. The sign was wrong. Costco honored the price though. <3

Attachments

• 20210804_150027.jpg
    20210804_150027.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks! I couldn't find it on their website, either, though I did find a couple others (not as good) through typing Legion 5 in the search bar. Weird! I found a flyer for it from February, so its probably just remaining stock.

Dang, no luck. Called and she checked the nearby stores too, said not available anywhere near this area.

so this laptop was supposed to be $1k, not $700
Costco charged me $1k. But just gave me a price adjustment to honor the $700 display price.
The $700 was for the display unit.
They had the wrong sign up.

So what happened.
It was $1k.
Then they sold out.
So they were selling the open-box, display unit for $700

Then they got more in; restocked; but accidently left the display unit sign up.

Last edited:
Costco charged me $1k. But just gave me a price adjustment to honor the $700 display price.

So what happened.
It was $1k.
Then they sold out.

Oh nice. Thats a deal!

So what happened.
It was $1k.
Then they sold out.

Ended up ordering a pair of the Lenovo desktops. First was supposed to be delivered yesterday, never showed. Pulled up order, shipping delayed, "we're working on getting your order". Taking bets on how many days they take to cancel the order saying its not in stock anywhere. Glad I didn't rush out to buy a monitor for it.

I hate being an adult and having sinking funds for future items (like car insurance, or vet visits, or vacation). I wanna take a pottery class but according to my budget app...I have no money for it right now. And I don't want to steal from one of those accounts, forget to replenish, and then fall back into the paycheck to paycheck cycle.

*sigh*

Life sucks.

I was out in the backyard the other day throwing some discs and I threw one into the woods. I went in to retrieve it and while on the way out, I stepped directly over this guy. I was mid-step when I noticed him coiled up below me, so I leapt forward as far as I could then took off running. Went inside and got the .22. Measured 5.5ft stretched out. Not the longest we've had here. Needless to say my heart was racing for a few hours after that, knowing the situation could've ended very differently. I felt the need to dispose of him because even though I keep and eye on the kids when they play in the yard, it ones takes a split second for something bad to happen with one of these around.

PXL_20210622_165341003.MP.jpg
PXL_20210622_185621712.jpg
PXL_20210622_195732473.jpg

I tanned the skin by soaking it in isopropyl alcohol and glycerin. It came out quite nice, but I haven't decided what to do with it yet.

We get black snakes in our backyard...maybe about 2-3 feet long. My husband kills them with a machete or throws them deep into the brush away from our house. I never see anything like this though. That's crazy!

Back