Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Dont really feel like working today. Just saw that there is marathon of "First 48" with mostly Tulsa episodes, so I'm out
My husband and I are obsessed with First 48. We record them and then get cozy on the couch for First 48 Fridays after our kid goes to bed. Before her bedtime, we do Forged in Fire Fridays lol

My husband and I are obsessed with First 48. We record them and then get cozy on the couch for First 48 Fridays after our kid goes to bed. Before her bedtime, we do Forged in Fire Fridays lol
First 48 is one of the few shows I can actually binge watch, And for a small city in the middle of country, a lot of messed up stuff in Tulsa.

Prusa 3D printer arrived today. Pretty impressive...shipped from Prague on Monday, and showed up in Kentucky at 10 am Wednesday.

I just marathon assembled the kit. Took me 7h15m. There were a few parts that were a right pain in the ass, but everything went smoothly for the most part. I'm too tired to fire it up and calibrate it tonight, but should have some time to play with it tomorrow.

Comedy Central has been airing Chappelle's Show all day. I forgot just how funny that show was. Really made me realize just how "PC" things have become over the last 15 years.

Comedy Central has been airing Chappelle's Show all day. I forgot just how funny that show was. Really made me realize just how "PC" things have become over the last 15 years.
Shows today try not to offend and just not funny. Current shows set in the 80s and 90s like the "Goldbergs" or "Young Sheldon", they try not to offend but the that era was very un-PC. I stumbled across reruns of "in Living Color" from the early days of Fox, that show would not get on air today. The outrage mob would be complaining about it nonstop.

Attachments

• make-comedy-offensive-again-shirt_2048x.jpg
    make-comedy-offensive-again-shirt_2048x.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 15
  • free-speech-more-important-than-your-feelings-libertarian-t-shirt_2048x.jpg
    free-speech-more-important-than-your-feelings-libertarian-t-shirt_2048x.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 16
Shows today try not to offend and just not funny. Current shows set in the 80s and 90s like the "Goldbergs" or "Young Sheldon", they try not to offend but the that era was very un-PC. I stumbled across reruns of "in Living Color" from the early days of Fox, that show would not get on air today. The outrage mob would be complaining about it nonstop.
Mel Brooks would not have been anywhere near as successful had he tried his stuff now.

Mel Brooks would not have been anywhere near as successful had he tried his stuff now.
And that's a sad thing. Today, a movie like Blazzing Saddles would be slapped with a racist label before anybody even read a script. Hell, it scared the hell out of the studios in 1974. The thing that seems to be lost today is that a movie like that doesn't glorify racism. It mocks it.

And that's a sad thing. Today, a movie like Blazzing Saddles would be slapped with a racist label before anybody even read a script. Hell, it scared the hell out of the studios in 1974. The thing that seems to be lost today is that a movie like that doesn't glorify racism. It mocks it.
yep. He mocks Stereotypes too.

so annoying...someone is trying to fax something to our house phone which does NOT have a fax feature. When it doesn't go through the first half a dozen times you would think you would verify the number. I have blocked the number but it still rings once before cutting the call.

Agreed to both. and Monty Python. And speaking of PC how my cable provider describes "Gone with the Wind", uh maybe you should also point out it was first movie a black performer won an Oscar for:GWTW.jpg

But see that's the thing. No one can tell someone else how they should feel about something. IMO Blazing Saddles if fine, but Gone with the Wind is very problematic and offensive. I know lots of people who have always felt that way; this isn't new.

I don't support banning any offensive media. But there is a lot of value to putting it in the proper context, which includes both understanding that something was acceptable in the past and understanding why it's not acceptable now.

Now that being said there's is a huge difference between banning something (i.e. government censorship) and a business deciding that they don't want to produce/sell/support/etc that content. Disney deciding that they won't offer Song of the South on Disney+ is not cancel culture. It's not censorship. It's Disney choosing the exercise their rights within the free market. Same thing with "Mr. Potato Head" becoming "Potato Head".

Why is it only free speech when people choose to say something offensive? Choosing to not say something offensive is also free speech.

I think I agree with your logic... but who gets to decide how to label it?

I don't like it when content gets deleted... or "canceled". You lose the history. Good or bad.
I think what doesn't feel right to me is that the companies now deciding are long standing enough to also be a major archive for the past.

I'd support a revision system... something like long standing drawing revisions.

- we're proud to bring you...
A. we made a small change...
B. Turns out this part didn't work but here's the fix....
CX. Refer to drawing _____ for the new and improved.

I like having the information available and making my own decision from there especially when I can see some progression.

so annoying...someone is trying to fax something to our house phone which does NOT have a fax feature. When it doesn't go through the first half a dozen times you would think you would verify the number. I have blocked the number but it still rings once before cutting the call.
That happens to us too. Happened once at around 2 AM. We were not impressed.

No way this would be on TV or movies nowadays

aDj8AgZ_700b.jpg

It's the nature of comedy. If one person thinks something is funny, somebody else will find it offensive. Conversely, if you're putting all that effort into not offending somebody, very few people will find it funny.

Back