Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it bad that the true reason I want to go is because this great aunt comes from Ireland and usually summers in the Hamptons/Montauk, and suddenly she's like "Jersey Shore is cheaper, I will attempt that."  And I'm rubbing my hands together like, 'yes, yes, see the greased up guido parking themselves on your private beach.' 
Sounds like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is settling to be The Mediocre Mrs. Maisel. 

Sounds like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is settling to be The Mediocre Mrs. Maisel. 
She is very posh (aka; has a **** ton of money that's she's spending before she dies).  So I'm sure she'll find the one place in Jersey Shore that isn't covered in tanning oil or small children.

Worse comes to worse, she's going to Japan in September for shits and giggles, so I'm sure anything traumatic that happens during the summer, like aggressive flexing, will be forgotten as she eats small portions of delicious food while traveling to places I could only dream (she's already been to Antarctica and an African safari, so I'll just weep).

She is very posh (aka; has a **** ton of money that's she's spending before she dies).  So I'm sure she'll find the one place in Jersey Shore that isn't covered in tanning oil or small children.

Worse comes to worse, she's going to Japan in September for shits and giggles, so I'm sure anything traumatic that happens during the summer, like aggressive flexing, will be forgotten as she eats small portions of delicious food while traveling to places I could only dream (she's already been to Antarctica and an African safari, so I'll just weep).
you can go to places too!!! 

while traveling to places I could only dream (she's already been to Antarctica and an African safari, so I'll just weep).

you can go to places too!!! 
Agreed.

Both of those places are pretty affordable on an engineer's salary. I've done both. It's just a matter of picking the right "requirements" and doing a little research. If you plan it 'right', it could would be about as much as Disney on a per day basis.

It's been fun, folks.  From AC Slatering to treadmills to boobs on a plane... party on, EB.

images
15k? Well done. 

Agreed.

Both of those places are pretty affordable on an engineer's salary. I've done both. It's just a matter of picking the right "requirements" and doing a little research. If you plan it 'right', it could would be about as much as Disney on a per day basis.
...My friend works at Disney World so I get in for free, lol, but I don't think I can travel for free, so I'll need to start planning.  I actually have some vacations planned out until June 2020 (including a TA cruise from NY to England).  My main goal after June 2020 is to get back into okay riding shape so I can do a horseback African safari!  That's my dream!  But have to be fit in case we need to get away from animals (a legit concern since you're in the safari without a vehicle/only being protected by the guide's dogs).

I have several friends who have been there. Really beautiful areas, but you have to be extremely careful with your food and water consumption. So many sources of sickness that outsiders have about a 25% chance of catching some sort of stomach bug (typically food poisoning or a parasite).  Basically only eat fully cooked food and only drink bottled water packaged outside the country.

If you go, pay the extra money for traveler's health insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever been to Indonesia?

Yes, including Bali, but also asking about Indoensia in general.

One of the guys that works with me is an Indonesian native.  I can probably put you in touch if you have questions.

My wife's cousin went to Bali and ran into Barak Obama there.   :true:   I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the pictures of him she posted on facebook.

I have several friends who have been there. Really beautiful areas, but you have to be extremely careful with your food and water consumption. So many sources of sickness that outsiders have about a 25% chance of catching some sort of stomach bug (typically food poisoning or a parasite).  Basically only eat fully cooked food and only drink bottled water packaged outside the country.

If you go, pay the extra money for traveler's health insurance.
Sounds like a good time.

I thought this was just a bunch of dorks wearing sons of anarchy type jackets until I got back to the office and looked up the Mongols MC - the jackets were mostly California, but a few Colorado..but apparently this is like a legit criminal bike gang?

Guess they don't know drugs are already legal here and nothing to sell?

mongols.jpg

One of our pipe welder general foremen at the coal plant I built in Western NC was a chapter president in SC for the Outlaws.  Tons of fitters and welders on that project with the OMC stickers on their hard hats.  First name was Johnny, can't for the life of me remember his last name.  Really nice guy to work with though!  Sadly he was killed in a motorcycle accident a year or two later.  Think it was a 17 year old girl that made a turn without right of way, and he was DOA.

Back