Question on form bracing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodr

P.E.
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time differentiating between the "axial force in the brace" and "horizontal component". The calculation is not difficult, but I seem to be mixing them up.
To me, the axial force is F and the horizontal component is Fcos (x). But the problem below says the horizontal component is F/2. What am I missing here? A fundamental misunderstanding of statics? I think I'm confused about how the problem is stated. Can someone help me please?

Attachments

• PXL_20220513_234403878.jpg
    PXL_20220513_234403878.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20220513_234420366.jpg
    PXL_20220513_234420366.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 11
I'm having a hard time differentiating between the "axial force in the brace" and "horizontal component". The calculation is not difficult, but I seem to be mixing them up.
To me, the axial force is F and the horizontal component is Fcos (x). But the problem below says the horizontal component is F/2. What am I missing here? A fundamental misunderstanding of statics? I think I'm confused about how the problem is stated. Can someone help me please?
The axial force is in the hypotenuse of the triangle. It is a 30-60-90 triangle for which side ratios are 1, 2, sqrt of 3...So Rx = axial force/2

The axial force is in the hypotenuse of the triangle. It is a 30-60-90 triangle for which side ratios are 1, 2, sqrt of 3...So Rx = axial force/2
Thanks for the reply! I actually ended up passing the exam in June :) Appreciate your response!

Congrats...I am contemplating taking the exam soon, do you have any tips to offer? Also, how often is the construction exam currently offered? I know it says year-round, but I am unsure of the actual dates.

Congrats...I am contemplating taking the exam soon, do you have any tips to offer? Also, how often is the construction exam currently offered? I know it says year-round, but I am unsure of the actual dates.
Thank you! I had to take the exam several times so it was a huge relief.

Just know your resources! They could ask you a bunch of easy questions but if you don't really know your resources then you will waste time or miss easy points. They can also ask you nothing out of the resources but better to be prepared. The test is so broad it's hard to prepare. So eventually my approach was to try and learn a lot about a lot. Which seems impossible but you got it. Also keep in mind that chance plays a large role. You can never study a day, guess correctly and pass the test. So don't beat yourself up.

The test is offered year round. You can't see exact dates until you have been approved to take the exam by your state board.

Back