Q2 2021 Post-Surveying Exam Thoughts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They released the results for seismic test at 12:09 but not the survey yet! I took both in May but studied only for survey. Anyone got survey results yet?

I failed. Ugh. I have Seismic coming up, June 24. I hate how vague the diagnostic is, if we get 1 deficient no matter what the other areas are does that mean we automatically fail? I had marginal for everything except Construction Surveys (Deficient). If I had a proficient for maybe the other 35%er would that cancel out my deficient?

I failed. Ugh. I have Seismic coming up, June 24. I hate how vague the diagnostic is, if we get 1 deficient no matter what the other areas are does that mean we automatically fail? I had marginal for everything except Construction Surveys (Deficient). If I had a proficient for maybe the other 35%er would that cancel out my deficient?
I don't think so, they used to publish a raw cutoff score so I think it is about your overall performance.

Anyhow don't be too hard on yourself, when they used to publish cutoff scores this test had an abysmal 40-60% pass rate, it's no easy test that's for sure. I recommend you look into Reza's course, or at least his workbook. The example and quiz problems in his course are more difficult than what is on the test, so it prepares you well. I studied using Mansour's practice exams too, but they seemed easier than what I got on the test. Still good for practicing.

Passed surveying. All done. And I went to school for mechanical. Was a pain every step of the way for whatever reason.
Passed surveying, and all done as well. I started college in Mechanical and switched to Industrial Engineering, which is my degree. And I'm a Civil PE in 8 states. Well, 7, can't say I'm a PE in CA yet. One more waiting game to play...

I may be paranoid but why does the results email/notice have all these things about re-examination if I have a "Pass". Am I in the clear and I can stop worrying??

I may be paranoid but why does the results email/notice have all these things about re-examination if I have a "Pass". Am I in the clear and I can stop worrying??
Both the email and the attached letter are very much written as if you have failed and need to retake, the only difference is the diagnostic table in the center of the letter with the blank performance statistics column and the green "pass" box at the bottom right. There isn't even any information about "next steps" or when you will receive your license. If I hadn't been reading this board to know I would have to look myself up in the license database to know when I was licensed, I would be left wondering what my status was...

Both the email and the attached letter are very much written as if you have failed and need to retake, the only difference is the diagnostic table in the center of the letter with the blank performance statistics column and the green "pass" box at the bottom right. There isn't even any information about "next steps" or when you will receive your license. If I hadn't been reading this board to know I would have to look myself up in the license database to know when I was licensed, I would be left wondering what my status was...
Thank you!! I've been trying to figure out if I was just a mistake. The board should really change how they send out these letters..

Finally passed surveying, now to start studying for seismic so I can done with these exams.
I found surveying way harder. Pay for the Hiner course and do all probs twice and follow everything he says- I passed seismic 1st time because of him. IMO 3 mo prep was not enough but 4 was good. The videos are 32 hours alone.

Last edited:
Agreed. Almost Every step is a pain and ambiguous. Such as the fact the first time you apply, it is called the “re-exam” form and the fact you cannot pay on-line, mail in check, watch for it to clear, and if you take the exam in the 3rd month in a quarter, you will miss the next quarter. The people are nice but the process is archaic.

How did you study? I found the Reza course really good but I also paid for CPESR course. I never took surveying in college so needed alot of the background but passed after 2nd attepmt. For $300 for an additional courses and now paying $225 to take the exam, i figured i rather pay for an extra prep class then to fail again and deal with the anxiety and time of saving $75. I would recommend both courses for anyone just starting out instead of taking one and hoping to pass the first time. I found Reza’s videos very helpful

After failing seismic once, I decided I should take the course for survey so I don't fail that one as well. I only took the CPESR course, didn't do any other practice exams or problems, and felt that it adequately prepared me for survey. The course offers 5 CBT exams and I felt that the problems really prepared me for the actual exam. For me, the time constraint was the biggest issue, so it's important to do all the easy problems first because some of the problems can take up to 5 minutes.

Good luck on your seismic exam!

I took the surveying exam yesterday and was curious when I could expect the results. Could someone share when results for surveying are being released?

This was my third time...hope I passed but the exam was much harder than the prior two attempts.

I took the surveying exam yesterday and was curious when I could expect the results. Could someone share when results for surveying are being released?
This was my third time...hope I passed but the exam was much harder than the prior two attempts.
It normally the 2nd week of the exit month when you took it. So i think will be 2nd week of July for you. Mine worked they way.

Back