Putting P.E. after your name

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like PhD for the reason I wrote above. If you follow that PhD should be used because it's a great accomplishment, you'll have to reason away those cases where a AA is a great accomplished for some.
Esq. makes sense to me because it is a (even though unregulated) term that denotes the person is licensed to practice law.
No, actually my reason is that people with PhDs usually require that distinction in order to be considered qualified for their job. Professors and senior researchers usually require a PhD much like a lawyer requires a JD.

I have seen some Canadians that put "B.Math" after their names for a Bachelors in Math. I don't know why they do it, but I've seen several cards like that.

No, actually my reason is that people with PhDs usually require that distinction in order to be considered qualified for their job. Professors and senior researchers usually require a PhD much like a lawyer requires a JD.
That's the rub... if it's "needed for the job" as the criteria, what about things like all the IT certifications as mentioned by others?

Don't you think it's silly for a lawyer to put JD after their name?

Again... public interest is the discriminator for me.

That's the rub... if it's "needed for the job" as the criteria, what about things like all the IT certifications as mentioned by others?
Don't you think it's silly for a lawyer to put JD after their name?

Again... public interest is the discriminator for me.
No, they typically put Esq. after their name instead of JD.

If somebody is a computer repairman, I would expect them to put APlus or similar certification after their name on business cards and email signatures. I think it gets a bit too much to have more than one certification after your name, but in some cases it is appropriate.

All I want to know is,
"PE" or "P.E." ?
The answer to this question is: Yes.

It's personal preference as to whether you put in the periods or not. Whichever you pick, stay consistant. I prefer the non-punctuated version myself, especially if you have multiple bowls of alphabet soup after your name (PE, CFS, PhD, MBA, CPA, PLS, LEED AP, etc...). Looking though most of my business cards from others, most put P.E. if they don't have anything else.

I decided to go ahead and wait until the full-fledged license number arrives in the mail. Until then, technically, I am still not licensed to practice engineering in the state of NJ. I sent off the $80 and the activation form about a week ago. Here's hoping it comes right away so I can edit that signature.

And to the person who said it seemed "haughty", I say good for you for being so humble. I am also that way about other things. But not this one, buddy. No way. I cannot wait to see it in print on my cards, to see it on my email signatures and to sign my first plan or report. I'll have someone take a picture and all

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is just as silly as putting a lot of alphabet soup after the name...

30. Retiree On School Board Demands Rank Be Used(NAVY TIMES 26 JAN 09) ... Andrew Tilghman

A retired Reserve captain is threatening to sue her local California school board if the board’s members do not address her by her military title.

Retired Reserve Capt. Noreen Considine, 64, was elected to the Jurupa Unified School Board near Riverside, Calif., in November. She claims her political foes are deliberately disrespecting her by not using her rank when discussing school business.

“It’s a way to diminish me. If they take away my title — the one I ran on and the one I’m entitled to — then they have a better shot at demonizing me,” Considine said in an interview.

At a Jan. 20 meeting, Considine told the school board they were harming her reputation, violating her civil rights and may be liable under California state laws.

“None should doubt my resolve in this matter,” Considine told the crowd, according to the minutes of the meeting.

“Those who think they can act contrary to the law with impunity — proceed at your own peril,” she said.

Considine, a medical services officer who retired in 2004, said in an interview Jan. 23 that she hopes her disagreement with the board members does not end up in court.

“I am giving them a chance to stop this nonsense,” she said.

Jurupa Unified School District Superintendent Elliot Dushon said Considine said his district is facing a massive budget crisis that may force them to layoff up to 200 teachers in the next 18 months. He said the board members have discussed Considine’s title at several recent meetings and he’d prefer they address more student-oriented matters.

“There are bigger issues we have to deal with, frankly,” Duschon said in an interview. “This would be the type of lawsuit that would take a lot of time and a lot or resources and a lot of energy that I think would be best spent dealing with the budget.”

Lt. Cmdr John Daniels, a Navy spokesman, said the Navy encourages retirees to use their titles in public, but no law requires civilians to address active or retired military service members by their ranks.

My ex-boss was a project engineer. I took his place when he left. My office person gives me a hard time because my ex-boss made him change a letter because it said Name, P.E. instead of name, P.E., P.E. He said his name should be followed by Professional Engineer as well as Project Engineer, thus the P.E., P.E.
That's cool because you could call him, "Name, peepee" to his face.

I found out I passed the exam well before they notified me with a letter. Here in Massachusetts, the board of professional licensure will usually update their rosters, with your name and your registration number immediately upon passing the exam, or at least within a few days.

I discovered my registration number and that I passed because I was contacted by a headhunter that found my name on there. If you are in other states, maybe you can check to see the registration board's website and see if you are listed anywhere. Just do a search for your own name. It might help, it might not. But if you're eager to see if you can use the P.E. after your name, that would be my advice.

I personally don't see any problem with using the designation if you know you passed the exam. It's not like you're stamping anything. If the state wants to be nitpicky, let them. Let them worry about these types of things that really don't matter in the long run. It's what states and government do best.......they waste their time and effort on things that really don't even need to be discussed beacuse of their endless rules and statutory regulations that don't make sense. They have rules just for the sake of having rules, and these rules keep government employees employed, and they have these employees just for the sake of having employees. If anything, we should be more critical of some of the standards that states set forth that don't have any justification.

Please, use your "engineering judgement" when attaching P.E. to the end of your name before obtaining your actual license number.

If the state wants to be nitpicky, let them. Let them worry about these types of things that really don't matter in the long run. It's what states and government do best.......they waste their time and effort on things that really don't even need to be discussed beacuse of their endless rules and statutory regulations that don't make sense. They have rules just for the sake of having rules, and these rules keep government employees employed, and they have these employees just for the sake of having employees. If anything, we should be more critical of some of the standards that states set forth that don't have any justification.
Turned down for that government job or something? Good sized rant for a "can I put PE behind my name?" question.

Got license number yesterday in the mail. Letter dated 1-29-09. As of that date, I am official. Changed that email signature this morning

^ This is great news WaterGirl - But one must wonder why you've neglected to have your name up on the Scrolling EB Banner!! You really haven't arrived until your name gets 'put up in lights' :true:

You have 5 posts to go. . . and you have to post in the Member's Results Thread under PE Exam results - Do It! Do It Now!

[edit] or not i guess. . . :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Turned down for that government job or something? Good sized rant for a "can I put PE behind my name?" question.
Congrats Watergirl. I also received the letter "Initial Licensure" for the NJ Board. My license number ends with 88, what's yours?

:party-smiley-048: [SIZE=12pt]I called the Florida Board again, and found that my PE number had been issued last Thursday, January 29![/SIZE]

I now have a number! COOL! :multiplespotting:

I think things like PhDs, PEs, and lawyers (Esq.) are significant enough in their respective industries to warrant some initials after your name. I have LEED AP after my name in my email signature, but it's just another line item on my business card (like "Electrical Engineer") because it is important in my industry, but I would never put something like that after my name on LinkedIn, for instance. My dad has "PhD, PE" after his name on just about everything.

I used to have a professor that put "PE, Phd, Esq." after his signature (he was all three). i found it a little pretentious but i guess it was warranted.

Back