Puerto Rico License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaz0033

Reaction score
Can anyone help on how to get licensed by committee in Puerto Rico, I currently hold a PE license in several states and am having difficulty in getting information on Puerto Rican applications. The website link on NCEES to the Puerto Rico Board is dead. I contacted NCEES for information but they did not have anything.

Can anyone help on how to get licensed by committee in Puerto Rico, I currently hold a PE license in several states and am having difficulty in getting information on Puerto Rican applications. The website link on NCEES to the Puerto Rico Board is dead. I contacted NCEES for information but they did not have anything.
I had a hard time as well trying to get some paperwork from to get my license in Virginia. This is what I found, they have problems with their phones all the time and the guy who is listed as the POC on their website doesn't have a way to get emails but there is an email address listed for him. :suicide1:

In my search for an answer I got a couple of names that were able to help me out, Mrs. Nereida Velez ([email protected] ) and Mr. Eduardo Ballori Lage ([email protected]). Get in contact with them, they might be able to help.

Also, keep in mind that in addition to the Puerto Rico board you have to deal with an association that regulates the licensed engineers in Puerto Rico, here is their website http://cms.ciapr2.org/. After you get your license number from the board, you have to register with this association before you can work as a licensed engineer in Puerto Rico.

Hope this helps.

I had a hard time as well trying to get some paperwork from to get my license in Virginia. This is what I found, they have problems with their phones all the time and the guy who is listed as the POC on their website doesn't have a way to get emails but there is an email address listed for him. :suicide1:

In my search for an answer I got a couple of names that were able to help me out, Mrs. Nereida Velez ([email protected] ) and Mr. Eduardo Ballori Lage ([email protected]). Get in contact with them, they might be able to help.

Also, keep in mind that in addition to the Puerto Rico board you have to deal with an association that regulates the licensed engineers in Puerto Rico, here is their website http://cms.ciapr2.org/. After you get your license number from the board, you have to register with this association before you can work as a licensed engineer in Puerto Rico.

Hope this helps.
^^^ :plusone: what he said.

The problem is that the Puerto Rican Department of State, who is the agency that issues the licenses, is understaffed right now. The actual Governor fired about 22,000 public employees and that particular office took a big hit. I hope not but the last time I talked to Mrs. Velez she told me that her position was going to be cut.

In Puerto Rico first you have to pay a compulsory fee to the Colegio de Ingenieros y Agrimensores (Board of Engineers and Land Surveyors...about $200 a year) and then you alfo have to pay the Department of State but I think this is only every 3 or 4 years. Cannot remember right now.

The Board of Engineers says they are the autoproclaimed engineering police watching for the purity and integrity of the profession but in reality they are just an elitist social club. They do nothing but to collect fees and have a pitcher and catcher combo with the CEUs. Very profitable for a non-profit organization. If you cannot find them during the week go to their place Friday nights. You will find whoever you are looking for in the bar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Try calling the college of engineers and land surveyors of puerto rico. Their website is http://cms.ciapr2.org/ their website is in spanish i hope you know spanish..haha thats the phone number (787) 758-2250

Back