PTOE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea haven't heard/seen anything but equally as curious. I think I took it about 6 weeks ago at this point.

Does anyone know when the results for the February 2021 testing period will be released?
Yes, didn't get the results yet. Its been a while I took the PTOE exam for Feb 2021. I believe this time they are taking much time to notify us.

Yes, didn't get the results yet. Its been a while I took the PTOE exam for Feb 2021. I believe this time they are taking much time to notify us.
When I took the RSP1 and PTOE exams they released the results to everyone at the same time. I got mine after 5 weeks (took it next to last week in October). I bet they will release next week

Hey, I just got an email with my results notice from the Feb 2021 PTOE exam period, best of luck all!

What references are best to review to answer the dominantly qualitative questions on the PTOE. The ITE Review Course Modules and practice exam are largely quantitative and I think ITE could improve this by providing more qualitative question reviews. I don't think this exam is as easy as some presume to be. I find the current ITE materials insufficient, but will agree they provide good reference materials. Seismic Exam for California Civil Engineering PE review courses provide sample qualitative questions. Many know that if they can answer the qualitative questions, then they can pass that exam. My thoughts. I have already gone over most of the quantitative stuff already.

Hi all,

Sitting for my PTOE exam next month. I'm currently going through the ITE PTOE refresher course, there doesn't seem to be much guidance on how to study outside of this. Is there anything that you wish you would have studied or read up on outside of this, that you think would have helped during the test?

Thanks in advance.
I totally agree. I suspected that during my 2nd attempt at the PTOE Exam this past February. The qualitative questions are quite tricky. Unlike IMSA Course Exams with more straight forward questions, this one has more tricky questions. I found the morning half to be quite mentally exhausting. I think ITE could do a better job with more pertaining to the qualitative portions. The quantitative portions which seem to be covered in their review course modules 1-6 seems more pertaining towards traffic engineering mathematics/mechanics based fundamentals and they only take up like 30-40% of the entire exam!!!

I take the exam in about 3 weeks and am on the fence about going through the modules. I felt pretty good after taking the practice exam but after reading comments here I’m unsure. I am strong in traffic signals and the MUTCD but not as much the HCM and our agency doesn’t use the Greenbook. For those of you who did the modules, how long did it take to complete each module? I’m also thinking at this point I should wait and if I don’t pass, purchase the modules at the 90 days out mark so I can get the most out of them before the second exam. Any other tips or suggestions on how to prepare? I work for a state DOT so I’m not as “in the weeds” with details as consultants. My practical experience is also somewhat limited (ex. minimal street / multimodal design experience).

Last edited:
This is a very weird test, i have now taken it twice, failing both times and i consider myself a very good traffic operations engineer. 17 yrs experience. As many people are saying here, the qualitative questions are very tricky....the choices are all similar so it can be very difficult if you are more quantitively oriented person. If somebody have a reference material on this part, please suggest here. I will be taking it for the 3rd time and if i don't pass it, i will just let it go.
The refresher course does not really help for sure.

This is a very weird test, i have now taken it twice, failing both times and i consider myself a very good traffic operations engineer. 17 yrs experience. As many people are saying here, the qualitative questions are very tricky....the choices are all similar so it can be very difficult if you are more quantitively oriented person. If somebody have a reference material on this part, please suggest here. I will be taking it for the 3rd time and if i don't pass it, i will just let it go.
The refresher course does not really help for sure.
I totally agree. I took this test today and the prep course that ITE sells isn't worth the money. I took the practice exam and got 90%. Based on the number of questions I had flagged on my real exam, I might end up with 60-75% correct. My exam had zero questions about traffic phasing, calc of yellow, red clearance or ped clearance, or crash rate calc. It had some odd physics type questions about vehicles accelerating from a stop. No questions about calculating trips for a development. I'll try to remember more questions that eluded me.

Back