Project Manager and Project Engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tm_PE

Tried to change the title, but didn't see how. This proposal/project is in Central Florida. It is a proposal for design for improvements to the intersection of University and Goldenrod.

In order to fulfill the requirements for a proposal my company is putting together for Orange County, FL we need to supply two individuals with specific qualifications.

Project Manager and Project Engineer requirements:

"Similar Project" for the purpose of the Request for Proposal for the University Boulevard at Goldenrod Road Intersection Improvements final design project has been defined as a road project successfully completed within the 15 years immediately preceding the submittal date of this Request for Proposal and containing the following elements:

1. 1. Design of a multi-lane urban roadway having a minimum length of 0.5 miles and a design fee equal to or greater than two hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($250,000.00). For purposes of this Request for Proposal, "urban" is defined as projects with either open or closed drainage or a combination thereof, which traverse an urbanized area with multiple intersecting streets and connecting driveways, and multi-lane is defined as having four or more lanes. Credit shall not be given for limited access roads.
  1. 2. Permitting for drainage facilities (must include preparation of application and receipt of permit from the regulatory authority.
  1. 3. Preparation of bid documents (must include both final construction plans and technical specifications). Projects where the technical specifications were prepared by the Owner or by individuals not employed by the consultant or his sub-consultants are not acceptable and will result in no points being awarded.
  1. 4. Preparation of legal descriptions
and parcel sketches for property acquisition (must include both requirements).
  1. 5. Design of a roadway containing the intersection of two multi-lane roadways. Multi-lane is defined as having four or more lanes.
Limited access roads will not be accepted.
  1. 6. Preparation of a design survey.
  1. 7. Preparation of signalization plans.
  1. 8. Preparation of maintenance of traffic plans.
  1. 9. Utility coordination and adjustment plans.
For the Proposed Project Manager and Project Engineer, Elements One (1), Two (2), and Three (3) are mandatory. To be considered for a half point, a project must contain Elements one (1), two (2), and three (3). To be considered for a full point a project must contain the mandatory elements one (1), two (2) and three (3), plus at least three (3) of the remaining elements listed above. Projects not containing the mandatory elements will receive zero points.
In addition to the point consideration above, at least one of the projects submitted must contain Element five (5); and at least one of the projects submitted must contain element seven (7). If one of the submitted projects does not include Element 5 and 7, then no credits will be given for that project.

To be credited as similar projects for the particular Project Manager that individual must have served as either the Project Manager or Project Engineer on two (2) of the similar projects listed for a substantial majority of the project activities and duration. To be credited as similar projects for each of the remaining three (3) similar projects listed the individual must have served as Project Manager for a substantial majority of the project activities and duration.

To be credited as similar projects for the particular Project Engineer that individual must have served as the Project Manager, Project Engineer or Design Engineer on two (2) of the similar projects listed for a substantial majority of the project activities and duration. To be credited as similar projects for each of the remaining three (3) similar projects listed the individual must have served as Project Manager or Project Engineer for a substantial majority of the project activities and duration.

Substantial majority shall be defined as 70% of the work.

The Proposer shall ensure that the basic description of the similar project, including all required performance requirements and/or dimensions are identified and that the elements are adequately explained in the text. The description shall document how the particular element was performed in conjunction with the overall project. The mere listing of elements without specific details in the body of the description will negatively impact the scoring for the project.

Failure to identify the specific performance requirements and/or dimensions of the project to ensure it meets the similar project description shall negatively impact that project's score.

Please email tmckeon_PE@f'tard.com if you are interested. If you qualify and are chosen, a Letter of Intent will be initiated and will be included with the proposal. This proposal is due by July 31st, 2007, so time is of the essence.

Thanks.

Last edited:
SapperPE said:
Tom,
I have to ask, if you got these two folks, why wouldn't they just partner up and do the project themselves? If you can't bring at least half of that to the table yourself, why would anybody want to join up with you? Correct me if I am wrong, but it almost seems like you want to compete for a project that:

1. You aren't qualified to compete for

2. You want people who are qualified to rush into the project, even though they would be working for somebody who isn't qualified

I am not trying to steal your thunder, but this kind of seems half cocked.
I can do all the work myself except for the surveying and underground locating, but would find it difficult to prove that I meet those specific requirements.

If the two individuals want to partner up and do it themselves, they can. However, there is the proposal, the MBE/WBE goals, welfare recipient hiring goals, location of the company or firm, 'Approach, Understanding, Scope Response', proposal bid amount (I have extremely low overhead; therefore, low bidder is likely).

I meet all but one of the weighted items and might still get the project without the two positions, but would like to increase the likelyhood of getting the project by getting half or full credit in that weighted area. That area is the only area where I might lose points and may not cause me to miss getting the project.

I have done similar work in all the areas mentioned, but the specifics (i.e., $250,000 project amt, 0.5 mi of multilane roadway all specific to intersections will be difficult for me to prove since I usually handled mostly the stormwater, drainage and grading aspects).

Even if I don't get the project, the proposal process will teach me something. However, I would like to move forward with the proposal with the assumption that we can compete well for this project. I will hire any needful personnel as needed, but would like to have the two individuals to contact me to increase the likelyhood of receiving the project itself.

Not as half-cocked as you might think.

Thank you for the observations. Keep'm coming!

make sure to point out welfare recipent goals in your executive summary, I am sure that will go over well

make sure to point out welfare recipent goals in your executive summary, I am sure that will go over well
If you meant to insult...it came over well.

However, if you were trying to help, I would appreciate a little more depth with the comment.

SapperPE said:
Oh well, now you will never know if anybody ever applies for your job because you have been IP Banned, gotta get a new internet provider or run over to the neighbors house to get on our site now, Tom.

Why? What did he do this time? I thought he was behaving himself this time around.

I meet all but one of the weighted items and might still get the project without the two positions, but would like to increase the likelyhood of getting the project by getting half or full credit in that weighted area. That area is the only area where I might lose points and may not cause me to miss getting the project.
Likelyhood ? It appears CEO level status may have taken a toll on the spellmeister. Or perhaps he contracts that out now.

I wonder what witty ID he'll use next time. I didn't understand the welfare recipient status, what's that about??

he wrote this regarding DBE requirements (DBE are woman or minority owned businesses) normally if there is federal money or a certain % of state money they may require 10-12% DBE.

Tom was referring to this practice as welfare, it might be that, but if I was proposing to do work I wouldnt mention that my welfare firms were ready to go.

I would pay money to read that proposal though.

he wrote this regarding DBE requirements (DBE are woman or minority owned businesses) normally if there is federal money or a certain % of state money they may require 10-12% DBE.
Tom was referring to this practice as welfare, it might be that, but if I was proposing to do work I wouldnt mention that my welfare firms were ready to go.

I would pay money to read that proposal though.
I must have misunderstood what he wrote. I thought he meant welfare recipient hiring as separate from DBE (disadvantaged business enterprise which is different from WBE (women...) and MBE (minority...)).

I was wondering why hiring welfare recipients was an important part of a business proposal. Why stop there... why not felons and lepers? (I could come up with many other groups but don't want to be judged politically incorrect!)

But I didn't (and still don't) understand the ban. I'm guessing I'm too new to appreciate the history.

^^^ It is really a shame that TM isn't able to listen well.

dramallama.jpg

JR

Well put Sapper, one more thing is that he is banned on the "the other board" as well.

There has only been one person ever banned on this board, and the mods were very patient before it happend and in the opinion of many participants, his ban was overdue.

It is a shame that it came to that, he did have some good stuff to offer. But in the end the bad far outweighed the good. No one really knows what the source of his foul moods was, but it would usually come late at night. Substance abuse, lack of sleep, faulty air conditioning, who knows the reason for the change in personality. But it would come like clockwork. The personal threats were the last straw. This board hardly ever has a cross word from it's participants, and any misunderstanding is usually cleared up the next post. We are engineers, and we talk about test prep, work issues, and general fun stuff. TM would launch on name calling riffs for no apparent reason, and then follow with religious tirades which really did not belong in this forum.

He pops in every once in a while now with a new psuedonymn, but this cat has not changed his stripes, and it does not take long before we see his old habits. It may appear to some newer members that the mods acted quickly in recent re-bans, but we have seen it too many times before. my :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
No one really knows what the source of his foul moods was, but it would usually come late at night. Substance abuse, lack of sleep, faulty air conditioning, who knows the reason for the change in personality.
I think it was the humidity ... it does crazy things to you :wacko:

On a serious note, it is true that the administrators of this board put up with his offensive shennanigans probably a lot longer than they needed to just out of respect for a fellow engineer. Mr. McKeon did not reciprocate that respect and in fact has made every effort to belittle and lambast the very members of this board that he is attempting to foist himself upon.

Indeed it is sad when you must ban a fellow member of your profession for poor behavior. Unfortunately, Mr. McKeon did not leave the administrators or the members of this forum much choice.

JR

Back