Preparation for April 2020 PE Power Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akyip

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just want to hear your opinions on how well or how much prepared you guys think I am for getting ready for the PE Power exam, coming up in April 2020. Right now these are the PE Exam prep books I am using:

-A.S. Graffeo PE Power Exam Guide

-NCEES PE Power Practice Exam

-Complex Imaginary PE Power Sample Exams

-Spin-up Sample PE Power Exams

-Engineering Pro Guides PE Power Study Guide and Exam (I mainly got this for the exam, and I read up not all of the guide, but only sections where I needed to improve on.)

-Zach Stone PE Power Sample Exam

I started off with the A.S. Graffeo book back around mid-October 2019 (a little bit before I even got my approval letter). My progress was slow at first, I finished going through all the chapters and the included practice exam by around mid-to-late December 2019.

Then I started to go through the NCEES PE Power practice exam, and shortly afterwards the Complex Imaginary PE Power sample exams. My first runs on these exams was around early-to-mid January 2020.

Shortly afterwards, I also started to compile my own reference book based on A.S. Graffeo, the textbooks I had (e.g. Power System Analysis and Design by Glover/Sarma/Overbye; Electrical Machines, Drives, and Power Systems by Wildi, just to name a few).

I also took the Spin-up Sample PE Power exams, but I felt some of the questions were too easy and others didn't really feel PE power related (e.g. asking about PLC protocols...)

I only started using the Engineering Pro Guides around early February (early last month). I practiced the April 2020 sample exam a few times, and I read up on some sections that I needed to expand on.

I also recently went through the Zach Stone PE Power Sample exam last week, and incorporated whatever I needed to know from this exam into my binder.

At this point, I've gone through a few runs of each of these exams (except the Zach Stone exam, but I plan to do that too).

So with these resources that I have (and I haven't taken any classes/courses), and that I've gone through a few runs of these sample exams, how prepared do you think I am right now? Or maybe put it in another way, are these resources I have adequate for preparing for the PE power exam?

Thank you for any time you spend commenting on this!

Did you do a timed test on each of the practice exams? I think that will be the way  to know if we’re already well prepared(atleast in my opinion).

i also have the same references as yours, same practice problems too. Every weekend I took a timed test. I’m typically getting not below 70% in all those practice test. 

I would recommend the Cram practice exams. The difficulty of it is way to far than the spinup and complex imaginary, and would pressure you and forced you to open your references(atleast in my opinion). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. The Cram for the Professional Engineer Electrical and Computer Power Exam Sample Test Volume 1, 2, and 3 are worth it.

There's also an April 2020 prep topic here:

I guess that's another 3 more sample exams to drill through within a little over a month... Oh well, I seem to have a decent time drilling through the other exam sets so far...

Thank you guys for your input!

I have one question regarding the Cram for the PE Power Exam volumes of practice exams... Are they repetitive in questions similar to how the Complex Imaginary sets are? In other words, do some of the same questions appear over again between the different volumes of Cram for the PE Power practice exams?

I have one question regarding the Cram for the PE Power Exam volumes of practice exams... Are they repetitive in questions similar to how the Complex Imaginary sets are? In other words, do some of the same questions appear over again between the different volumes of Cram for the PE Power practice exams?
I took volume 1 and 2 already and they are all different problems. I will take the volume 3 this coming weekend and I bet this will be different too, as per the author of the book @Cram For The PE. two thumbs up for him.👍👍

Bebesh, thanks for your input. I feel like suddenly there's more to cram into my brain in a relatively short amount of time left now haha. Oh well, I have been incorporating whatever solutions and things I need to know from practice exams into my reference binder.

Back