Pre-Approval for EIT/FE Exam in PA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtree

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently looking into the pre-approval process to sit for the FE exam in Pennsylvania. A little bit of background...

I began undergrad in Civil engineering curriculum (ABET accredited), and completed roughly 3 years of that curriculum. After 3 years in civil engineering undergrad I began working full/part time in highway engineering design (under PE's) doing the usual intern>entry level work. I ended up graduating in a different program (non-engineering degree) while I kept working for the same engineering firm.

At this point I have been working for the same firm, progressing in level of work tasks and responsibility, for just over 5 years. My first 3 years in engineering undergrad and my subsequent 5 years working experience do not overlap.

At this point I am hoping to apply for PRE-APPROVAL (EIT by experience) to sit for the FE exam in Pennsylvania. Per the PA law/code Section 4.2, "eight or more years of progressive experience in engineering work and knowledge, skill and education approximating that attained through graduation from an approved engineering curriculum."

PA Board law

I am hoping that the board will view my 3 years of ABET curriculum, combined with 5 years working experience, as sufficient to meet the 8 years of progressive experience in "engineering work and knowledge".

Does anyone know what the pre-approval process is like and how successful this might be? My supervisors and managers are happy to provide recommendations and I am confident I can put together a proper amplified record, as well as providing transcripts showing my 3 years of completed curriculum.

I am curious about other states which may have more flexible requirements that would allow me to obtain my EIT.

Any thoughts/guidance is very appreciated!

I imagine that you will ultimately need 8 years of full time experience. PA also requires that you have 4 years of work experience AFTER the EIT is issued before sitting for the PE Exam, so I don't think you'll be successful in arguing your case. That being said, the only way to find out is through trying and I wish you good luck.

Back