Power PE transferring to CA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy167

Passed PE
Reaction score
Hey guys, 

I passed my FE and PE while in NY state, what are the reciprocity requirements for CA?  I hope you don't have to pass more exams and it is just matter of paying fees and getting registered. 

You have to have 6 years of experience up to 4 of which may be a bachelors degree, pass a take home ethics exam, get finger printed, and pay the fee.  The registration fee only covers your first 1-3 months and then you have to renew for 2 years.

You have to have 6 years of experience up to 4 of which may be a bachelors degree
I think anyone who is PE in any state can only take PE exam if they have this much experience. Otherwise they won't be be eligible for the exam let alone license. So, does that mean only requirement would be home ethics exam, finger printing and pay the fee if you are a PE already in other state? 

I just want to make sure I understood your post completely. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think anyone who is PE in any state can only take PE exam if they have this much experience. Otherwise they won't be be eligible for the exam let alone license. So, does that mean only requirement would be home ethics exam, finger printing and pay the fee if you are a PE already in other state? 

I just want to make sure I understood your post completely. Thanks!
As I read it, you are correct.  Also, if memory serves, CA is one of the states that will not accept the experience portion from your NCEES record so you'll have to do hard-copy, signed and stamped experience docs as any new application with CA would.  I stand by to be corrected on that one though.

@CAPLS

As I read it, you are correct.  Also, if memory serves, CA is one of the states that will not accept the experience portion from your NCEES record so you'll have to do hard-copy, signed and stamped experience docs as any new application with CA would.  I stand by to be corrected on that one though.

@CAPLS
While generally consistent throughout the nation, the requirements for PE license can vary state to state.  So, if roy167 truly wants an accurate answer, he/she would contact the CA Board to find out.  One thing to keep in mind is that about a dozen states license by branch of engineering discipline (i.e., civil, electrical, mechanical, etc.) while the remainder issue a general PE license and expect the individual to practice within their area of expertise.  CA is one of the branch specific states.

Based on roy167's initial post, it appears that the area of specialty would be electrical and he/she passed the Electrical Engineering - Power exam.  CA doesn't have a state exam for electrical engineers (like they do for civil) so he/she can submit an application documenting a minimum of 6 years of experience (yes, education can be credited towards 4 or 5 years of that experience based on the degree) on the experience/reference forms.  This process would included submitting fingerprints and passing the Laws and Regulations exams (take home) for engineers.  Alternatively, an NCEES Record can be used in lieu of the experience/reference forms but you should know that the NCEES Record does not always contain all the information necessary for the CA Board to complete the review.

Back