Post your PE failure diagnostic report!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can someone who took Water Resource depth (PM) please post your diagnostic report?I'm still waiting for my results from CA...thanks.
I passed this time, but I took the test 2 years ago and failed. Here's my diagnostic for the Water Resources depth. Good luck. I was pretty bummed when I failed the first time, but I studied the heck out of my weak areas and overall studied about 3 times as much as the previous time I took it and passed.

Breadth:

Const. 88

Geotech 50

Structures 75

Trans 38

Water/Env 62

Depth:

Hyd. CC 67

Hyd. Open 67

Hydrology 83

Ground/Well 0

Wastewater 50

Water Qual 50

Water Treat 67

Econ 0

If you have taken the exam a few times one would be fed up, but for someone who has taken the exam once or twice, it would be useful info.
Useful in what way? Study with a goal of getting 56 or 59 or 61 questions and you're setting up for failure. Study with the goal of knowing everything.
At least for me, if I were close (which I wasn't), it would be good for me to know if I should pay a nice penny for additional classes or will a little additional self studying do the trick.

First attempt, fail :(

Here's my diagnostic report for the Civil - Transportation:

Breadth - Construction - 75

Breadth - Geotechnical - 62

Breadth - Structural - 50

Breadth - Transportation - 75

Breadth - Water and Env. - 75

Traffic Analysis - 56

Geometric Design - 67

Transportation Planning - 67

Traffic Safety - 50

Other Topics - 70

I computer my amount of problems correct to be 52. I heard that the passing score is around 56. So close, yet so far. It's really a mental challenge after one realizes they didn't pass as they put so much effort into this. Again, we can't dwell on it but keep on chugging. Here's what I've done to study, I briefly went through the ASCE Smart Pros CDs which helped me get familiar with the topics, went through the NCEES books (both version), went through the CERM and tabbed it good. I felt good going into the exam but realized it was not what I expected. The NCEES book helped maybe with about 5 problems maybe 8. CERM helped with a few but a lot was intuition and just doing problems over and over again to realize where to find certain equations.

Now my question to those who passed maybe on your second try or even third or fourth was what change did you do? What do you think I can do? I have the 6 min. solutions and did a few of them but more like skimmed through it and the answers. But now I'm thinking of hitting them hard like actually working them out on a notebook. I was also thinking of signing up for ppi2pass's Passing Zone and maybe even their exam cafe for more problems. I know because I took the exam and was close I was say at 65% passing, since the test I probably forgot some material so I'm down to about 40% maybe even 30%. I have to get at least up to 80-90% to be confident and walk out of that test center with a better feeling knowing I did it. What's your advice everyone! Thanks guys!

I passed 1st try Civil WR but did sign up for exam cafe through ppi. I found the questions to be more in-depth and involved than what was on the exam but it did help for learning the concepts and methods. I would hit the 6min solutions good and make sure you have all your traspo references known really well. Its all about the practice problems

Here's my diagnostic report for the Civil - Transportation:

Breadth - Construction - 75

Breadth - Geotechnical - 62

Breadth - Structural - 50

Breadth - Transportation - 75

Breadth - Water and Env. - 75

Traffic Analysis - 56

Geometric Design - 67

Transportation Planning - 67

Traffic Safety - 50

Other Topics - 70

I computer my amount of problems correct to be 52. I heard that the passing score is around 56. So close, yet so far. It's really a mental challenge after one realizes they didn't pass as they put so much effort into this. Again, we can't dwell on it but keep on chugging. Here's what I've done to study, I briefly went through the ASCE Smart Pros CDs which helped me get familiar with the topics, went through the NCEES books (both version), went through the CERM and tabbed it good. I felt good going into the exam but realized it was not what I expected. The NCEES book helped maybe with about 5 problems maybe 8. CERM helped with a few but a lot was intuition and just doing problems over and over again to realize where to find certain equations.

Now my question to those who passed maybe on your second try or even third or fourth was what change did you do? What do you think I can do? I have the 6 min. solutions and did a few of them but more like skimmed through it and the answers. But now I'm thinking of hitting them hard like actually working them out on a notebook. I was also thinking of signing up for ppi2pass's Passing Zone and maybe even their exam cafe for more problems. I know because I took the exam and was close I was say at 65% passing, since the test I probably forgot some material so I'm down to about 40% maybe even 30%. I have to get at least up to 80-90% to be confident and walk out of that test center with a better feeling knowing I did it. What's your advice everyone! Thanks guys!

I passed on second attempt. First try I studied about 20 hours, tabbed, reviewed and basically just prepared for it. Failed with a 68 factored score (not based on diagnostic but reported).

Second try I worked over 1000 problems from various sources, spent about 130-150 hours. PPI exam cafe helped get alot of problems.

Worked for me.

Also, make sure you work the problems as if you are doing the test.

Summit550,

That sounds great. I was thinking of signing up for the Exam Cafe. Once I finish the 6 min. trans solutions. I'm going to start the breadth portions of the other 6 min. solutions. Then maybe go to Chelapati's trans problems. Then go through Exam Cafe problems. How does the exam cafe work? Do you choose a subject and it gives you random problems. Can it give you random problems like an exam? Did you use it on your mobile phone. That would be awesome if I wanted to look at material if I don't have my books. But i'm signed up for the passing zone at ppi2pass to get myself familiar with the CERM supplelment problems although my CERM is already tabbed out. And I plan to take a local PE review course and asce puts out. I have their notes from a previous taker but nothing beats sitting in the actual class listening to an instructor for 3 hours right ;) Thanks for all the help.

It has over 1000 questions and the timed exams helped prepare for the pace of the test.

I did it online and got the ppi flash cards for iPhone (these were good but way more difficult than the test).

I FINALLY passed after 4 tries.... What was helpful for me this last time is developing an approach to answering the problems versus "studying". Many of the problems either give you too much information or not enough. Focusing on the information can be confusing and cause you to second guess yourself. So when reading the problem, this is how I approached the question.

1. What is the question asking me to solve and in what units?

2. What formula, table, graph, etc is available to solve the problem?

3. What information is needed?

4. What information do I have?

5. Solve

I hope this is helpful

Well I don't know if this is a great approach for anyone else, but I failed the first try Civil/Structural depth. Going into the exam I was nervous not knowing what to expect, not being a great test taker in the first place this sort of ruined me, the problems really weren't that hard, I just froze up on some, confused myself, and wasn't thinking clearly, which resulted in me making stupid mistakes. After leaving I didn't feel great but realized that the test really wasn't that hard, it's pretty basic stuff you just have to go in calm and work through each problem one at a time.

So, knowing what to expect I felt confident that I could go in and take the exam a second time and pass without any more studying than I had already done, which was 1.5 to 2 hours a night 3-4 times a week for about 3 months. I tried this approach, of course for the two weeks before the exam I worked a few practice problems just to get back in the right mindset but as far as trying to learn new material, I didn't do much of that.

Walked in the Aril exam, confident and calm and increased my score by 10 points (TX sends scores pass or fail) and passed. So, like I said earlier, maybe not a great approach but if you're similar to me when it comes to test it may just be a matter of getting better prepared mentally rather than putting in more hours of studying. :reading:

Smith,

Wow, I wish I could do that. Unfortunately, although I missed by only 4 questions I think, I didn't feel that the exam was that easy both morning and afternoon. I thought it would've been easy actually. That being said, I'm preparing for the worst and just going to keep doing problem after problem until it becomes second nature hopefully. It's funny how doing a problem even once....working it out on paper..it kind of sticks in your mind versus looking at and the solution. I hope to get by this guys. Thanks.

Failed 2nd time.

AM

Construction 88

Geotech 38

Structure 62

Transportation 75

Water & Environ. 88

PM

Earthwork & Construction 75

Estimating Qty & Costs 57

Const. Operations 17

Scheduling 86

Material Quality Control 25

Temp. Structures 40

Worker Health & Safety 33

Other Topics 50

Based on the analysis, I got 28 correct in AM and 20 in PM. So that means 48 is not good enough.

I don't know what is the purpose of this thread whoever started, but here are my scores:

Breadth:

Const. 50

Geotech 12

Structures 88

Trans 38

Water/Env 88

Depth:

Hyd. CC 83

Hyd. Open 83

Hydrology 50

Ground/Well 67

Wastewater 100

Water Qual 67

Water Treat 67

Econ 0

Pennsylvania - Civil (Structural Afternoon) - 1st Time Taker

Construction 63%

Geotechnical 62%

Structural 62%

Transportation 62%

Transportation 62%

Water Resources & Environmental 62%

Loadings 40%

Analysis 60%

Mechanics of Materials 60%

Materials 80%

Member Design 60%

Design Criteria 100%

Other Topics 0%

I did the Math myself, & it came out to 48 out of 80 correct - FAIL

Here is what I got in my diagnostic Report for Transportation-1st time taker

Construction-50

Geotech-50

Structural-50

Transportation-62

Water Resources/Envrionemntal-75

Traffic Analysis-78

Geometric Design-67

Transportation Planing-67

Traffic Safety-67

Other Topics-50

My bachelors was in environmental engineering, so never in my life have I taken a class in construction, geotech, structural... I am not sure which books I can use to boost my score in the AM portion for the ones I got 50 in atleast... any help is appreciated!!

I didn't take the ITE book- Traffic Engineering Handbook, or the Asphalt Handbook or the AASSHTO Pavement Structures.. did anyone who took transportation find that these references helped them with solving any problems directly by having these books..

I just signed up for PEreview.net, the practice problems only. I don't think I would recommend it. The problems are too easy and lacking in subjects, for example... there are no pump equations in the water sections. An instructor actually goes through the problems with you on video, so I thought that would help, but I have barely had to look at the video. It was $250 for 200 questions.... yeah, not worth it.

I am going to order the practice exams from Lindeburg series to help me study for the third time (anyone selling a clean copy?). In my case, during the exam, I THOUGHT I knew the answer. I didn't blind guess on a single problem. I get all of the practice problems correct, I can't figure it out. sooooo most people are telling me to (a) take the time to READ the problem, (B) check your UNITS, © look for common math mistakes... like did you remember to square that value? (d) know what they are asking! and © watch out for extra information you don't need!!

My opinion may not matter cuz I haven't passed it yet, but I am taking that advice to heart. these problems SHOULD BE straight forward, right? I got 51 out of 80 questions correct , which is a 64... you need 56 questions correct for a 70 and to pass.

For some reason, I decided to check out this post again as the process with waiting for the results begins again and I came across my old post of my fail diagnostics report. I'm actually surprised that I did everything I said I would as far as studying more for the second attempt. I walked out of the October Exam feeling confident that I finally did it. Of course, we will never know until our results come in but sometimes you just get a good feeling about something and usually it turns out good ;) You will never know those trick problems that we may have gotten wrong but I guess the "good feeling" will help us get by these days leading up the results better. I like the fact that there are so many events happening in the winter to take our minds off the results. Without reading who the poster was of the diagnostic score, I actually thought that person did ok.....and suddenly realized that was old post haha. I really hope the get past this exam this time as it's so much more than just a PE test. It's a test of a person's dedication, will, and drive to accomplish something they put their mind to. Good luck everyone and keep the posts coming :)

For some reason, I decided to check out this post again as the process with waiting for the results begins again and I came across my old post of my fail diagnostics report. I'm actually surprised that I did everything I said I would as far as studying more for the second attempt. I walked out of the October Exam feeling confident that I finally did it. Of course, we will never know until our results come in but sometimes you just get a good feeling about something and usually it turns out good ;) You will never know those trick problems that we may have gotten wrong but I guess the "good feeling" will help us get by these days leading up the results better. I like the fact that there are so many events happening in the winter to take our minds off the results. Without reading who the poster was of the diagnostic score, I actually thought that person did ok.....and suddenly realized that was old post haha. I really hope the get past this exam this time as it's so much more than just a PE test. It's a test of a person's dedication, will, and drive to accomplish something they put their mind to. Good luck everyone and keep the posts coming :)
I agree with you 100% Maximus. This is more than a PE test for me. It's a personal challenge for me and like so many here have dedicated a lot of time to pass this test. I don't even need it for my job out at KSC of 23 yrs but felt like I needed a challenge. It was actually interesting to learn all the basics again but I can honestly say I hope I don't have to go through that again.

The wait is no doubt tough but in a way it's a good thing. I look at it as more free time to not study in case I didn't pass. The down side is the more I think of the test the more I am convincing myself I did the solutions wrong. By the time I get my results i think I will have convinced myself I got everyone wrong. I guess the mind plays tricks on you.

Good luck to all.

The down side is the more I think of the test the more I am convincing myself I did the solutions wrong. By the time I get my results i think I will have convinced myself I got everyone wrong. I guess the mind plays tricks on you.
Same here...I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to start studying again...

The down side is the more I think of the test the more I am convincing myself I did the solutions wrong. By the time I get my results i think I will have convinced myself I got everyone wrong. I guess the mind plays tricks on you.
Same here...I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to start studying again...
I think I'm the opposite. The farther I get from the test, the better I think I did.

I think I'm the opposite. The farther I get from the test, the better I think I did.
I was the same way, and passed.

Here's the thing - even if you didn't pass, your brain needs the break. There's plenty of time to study between the results coming out and the next exam to start studying again if you need to. And if you don't need to study, don't waste the time and energy on it. Go skiing, play with the dog, play video games, read an enjoyable book, just do something to actually enjoy your off-time.

Back