Post October 2010 Diagnostic Report scores here if you failed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
newpeexam, 66% is pretty close. You are almsot there. Be sure to get a good night's rest every night leading up the exam and especially the night before. For some reason, I ended up drinking a iced coffee the night before and didn't get any sleep the night before. A couple of 5 hour energy drinks helped me get through the exam though. Be relaxed and confident during the exam doing the problems you know quickly even checking the problems you did correct too. I find this was better than spending unnecessary time on the questions I had no clue on. Good luck!

ipswitch, thanks. I remember using it in April when I failed. I believe I got a score of 52 using your spreadsheet. Does this apply to the October exam as well? Hopefully I won't have to use it this time, but you never know.
The NY Board hasn't released results yet and I didn't fail this time. The Magic 8 Ball told me so.
Yeah, the magic 8 ball told me that I will passed my PE this time.
Yeah, magic 8 ball is correct. I passed the Mchanical PE (T&F) Oct, 2010 and result by Jan,2011.

base on the following by other people.

here are the hidden/protected cells

Fact - 45/60 = 65% ---> PE EE passing score is 54

Correct _____ Score

10 _____ 50

11 _____ 50.5

12 _____ 51

13 _____ 51.5

14 _____ 52

15 _____ 52.5

16 _____ 53

17 _____ 53.5

18 _____ 54

19 _____ 54.5

20 _____ 55

21 _____ 55.5

22 _____ 56

23 _____ 56.5

24 _____ 57

25 _____ 57.5

26 _____ 58

27 _____ 58.5

28 _____ 59

29 _____ 59.5

30 _____ 60

31 _____ 60.5

32 _____ 61

33 _____ 61.5

34 _____ 62

35 _____ 62.5

36 _____ 63

37 _____ 63.5

38 _____ 64

39 _____ 64.5

40 _____ 65

41 _____ 65.5

42 _____ 66

43 _____ 66.5

44 _____ 67

45 _____ 67.5

46 _____ 68

47 _____ 68.5

48 _____ 69

I think the passing score will always vary based on the difficulty of your exam and how everyone else does. At one time I was so sure the passing score was 56 correct questions....56/80=70%. But this may vary. According to my April 2010 diagnostics, I got 53/80 and didn't pass. Passed in October 2010 and didn't get a score.

I'd say, the best the thing to do now, is relax and enjoy the life w/o studying you had before. Trust me, the built up nervousness will come weeks before the results come in and that is inevitable. And if things don't work out as planned, start hitting the books hard again. Try to develop a different study strategy and stick to it. Use the failure as motivation to study even harder. The knowledge you will gain from studying for this exam will come in handy in practice as well...or we hope so ;) Good luck to you all!

I think the passing score will always vary based on the difficulty of your exam and how everyone else does. At one time I was so sure the passing score was 56 correct questions....56/80=70%. But this may vary. According to my April 2010 diagnostics, I got 53/80 and didn't pass. Passed in October 2010 and didn't get a score.
I'd say, the best the thing to do now, is relax and enjoy the life w/o studying you had before. Trust me, the built up nervousness will come weeks before the results come in and that is inevitable. And if things don't work out as planned, start hitting the books hard again. Try to develop a different study strategy and stick to it. Use the failure as motivation to study even harder. The knowledge you will gain from studying for this exam will come in handy in practice as well...or we hope so ;) Good luck to you all!
I agree with Maximus808. In oct-10 I got 48/80. I try this time hope I will pass though this time exam is difficult than previous one. ( Civil-transportation)

Here is a scan of the diagnostic report of my performance on the Oct. 2010 test, civil/transp. For this April's test, I hammered out problem after problem for the morning. For the afternoon, I did quite a few problems, which helped me become very familiar with my resources. I also watched the videos of the review course by Texas A&M, that helped to refresh the basics. I thought this April's test was fairly easy, both morning and afternoon. I'm cautious though, whenever I think something is easy, it usually blows up in my face.

Publication1.pdf

Attachments

• Publication1.pdf
    46 KB · Views: 204
1 Construction 8 4 50

2 Geotechnical 8 7 87

3 Structural 8 7 87

4 Transportation 8 6 75

5 Water Resources & Environmental 8 4 50

6 Subsurface Exploration & Sampling 3 1 33

7 Engineering Properties of Soils & Materials 5 1 20

8 Soil Mechanics Analysis 5 2 40

9 Earthquake Engineering 2 1 50

10 Earth Structures 4 2 50

11 Shallow Foundations 6 3 50

12 Earth Retaining Structures 6 2 33

13 Deep Foundations 4 0 0

14 Other Topics 5 2 40

total 28/40

14/40

I got total 66%... trans and I failed...
So newpe, you are saying that on the Oct '10 PE exam, in Civil - Transpo, you got a 53 out of 80 and failed? This is the first I am seeing that anyone got over a 51. There goes my theory that 52/80 was the cutscore.

I believe I calculated my score based on my diagnostics for April 2010 and got a score of 52/80 and still did not pass. It probably varies every exam however.

I don't know how i performed at this past April test. I am embarrassing to say how many hours I spend studies - hundreds. :reading: Took school of PE, which helped me in the morning a lot (i hope). But afternoon I found difficult and some questions were completely out of my expertise. I felt like all these studies i have done, are for nothing. By reading posts about this April exam, I could see that Traspor. was easy for many people, not for me. And it make me sick in the stomach. I am probably not smart enough to achieve this test. I actually worked out all of the questions in the morning and afternoon, had only 4 unknown in Transp, but about 6-7 was educated guess. Morning was the same story with only the difference that Structural is out of my knowledge. So, i assume about 10 questions was guess. :true:

Well, i know that i have to relax and not thinking about it, but it keep bothering me day and night and my confidence fading away with every day. Waiting is sucks. :waiting:

Tanya,

Keep your confidence up regardless of the result of the exam. Honestly, even if things don't work out this time, open the books up tackle the problems again, change up the study routine, get a study partner, what ever takes, to improve.

Although you may not "pass" with that official letter from the NCEES, each time you take the exam you will be learning more and more about engineering. This will last for a lifetime and you will know how to tackle these problems in your career and in life. From someone who took more than one time to pass it, I'm glad I went through it more than once. The feeling of accomplishing it after failing it is much better than passing it on that one try. You need to dig deep, ignore what others say, and do this for yourself and no one else. When you finally pass it, I guarantee you will retain a majority of that info you studied during these attempts.

Let's cross our fingers and I'm rooting for you! Good luck.

I believe I calculated my score based on my diagnostics for April 2010 and got a score of 52/80 and still did not pass. It probably varies every exam however.
I wonder if the diagnostic reports used to be different. With my Oct. '10 report, there is nothing to calculate. One column is "Number of items" and the next is 'Number correct". So, all I did was add up my numbers correct to get my 51. Maybe the previous diagnostics didn't have this column?

Either way, I hope that is the last diagnostic report I ever receive. :)

I got 42/80. Construction April 2011

I feel that 56 is the magic number, unless the exam has one or two questions that are thrown out because a majority gets/got them wrong. Then you may get lucky And getting 55 or 54 questions right will give you a passing score.

I wonder if the diagnostic reports used to be different. With my Oct. '10 report, there is nothing to calculate. One column is "Number of items" and the next is 'Number correct". So, all I did was add up my numbers correct to get my 51. Maybe the previous diagnostics didn't have this column?

Either way, I hope that is the last diagnostic report I ever receive. :)
yes they used to be different. I believe Oct 2010 was the first offering with the new disgnostic

Here is mine- I fail - Civil- Transportation

Knowledge Area ..... Number of Items ..... Your Performance (No. Correct) ..... Your Performance (% Correct)

1 ..... Construction ..... 8 ..... 4 ..... 50

2 ..... Geotechnical ..... 8 ..... 4 ..... 50

3 ..... Structural ..... 8 ..... 6 ..... 75

4 ..... Transportation ..... 8 ..... 2 ..... 25

5 ..... Water Resources & Environmental ..... 8 ..... 5 ..... 62

6 ..... Traffic Analysis ..... 9 ..... 6 ..... 66

7 ..... Geometric Design ..... 12 ..... 10 ..... 83

8 ..... Transportation Planning ..... 3 ..... 3 ..... 100

9 ..... Traffic Safety ..... 6 ..... 3 ..... 50

10 ..... Other Topics ..... 10 ..... 5 ..... 50

Total = 48/80 = 60%

Please advise me how to improve for traffic safety and trasportation in morning section.

I am surprised to see your score in Transportation in AM section, given that you have a very good Geometric scores in the pPM section! Good luck next time!

Back