PMP Certification

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, tell us your thoughts on the PMP review, exam, etc. Was it what everyone said, lots of memorization, easier than PE, any "hints" that you have. I have no interest in taking the PMP, however, know lots of folks that do. Share your insight with the group, please.

Honestly, I found it challenging. Not nearly as hard as the PE, but difficult in that I had to "unlearn" company policies and procedures and relearn the "academic" approach to project management. The writers of the exam make some very unrealistic expectations for how a project should progress, and it will take you some time to forget the real world and start approaching things from their perfect world approach.

The content isn't really that difficult once you figure out their patterned methods, and the practice exams I took were really good at showing what to expect on the exam. Most of my companies policies are in line with what they teach, but you still have to take things one step at a time and you cannot perform two tasks or take on two roles at the same time. It is a very methodical approach and requires some memorization as to exactly how you progress from one step to the next. It's hard to go into much more detail without talking about specific exam questions (yes, you have to agree to a similar non-disclosure agreement).

The exam itself is a 200-question test and you have 4 hours to take it (little over 1 minute per ?). It is entirely from memory, they provide the test (mine was a computer-based test), a few pieces of scrap paper, a pencil, and a calculator (a standard $5 one that only does the basic +-*/ functions, or the basic Windows calculator for the computer exam). You're given 15 minutes before your clock starts to do a "brain dump" of equations, acronyms, etc you may need, but once the exam clock starts the only way to stop it is to submit your answers at the end. You can get up and take breaks, but the clock doesn't stop.

Basically, all I did was I took a 4-day training class through Simplilearn (which was actually really good), took a few practice exams, re-read my class notes, then took the exam. The entire process took about 2 months, and the first month of that was the waiting period between signing up for the class and actually attending the class. I took the class the last week of August, then spent most of September getting my application approved (had to deal with a week of office politics to get everything approved and funded). My application was approved on the 15th of Sept, paid for the exam on the 22nd, and sat for it on Oct 2nd. I didn't start studying until after I paid for the exam, and even that was only a few days of skimming through my notes and taking a couple practice exams.

I had discussed possibly doing it with some of our project controls team who have the certification and hadn't ever really followed up with it, then in early August I saw an ad for the training class and saw it was held just down the road from my office so I decided to give it a go since the company was paying for it. I don't think I would have gone for it otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dexman-- Thanks! You have provided, in my mind, good insight into the PMP process. As I said, I am not interested in doing it, in my mind the PE is far better, but I do recognize and understand that many government contracts and some private firms believe that the PMP is the real key to success. Of course, anyone can take the PMP, you have to have a engineering/science/math background to pursue the PE-- and then, you have to take the FE before the PE.

I appreciate your insight into the whole process!

I place the value of the PMP as less than 1/50 of the PE. It took me 1/50 of the time to prepare for the PMP. One just needs a HS diploma to take the PMP. It is just a pump and dump test.

I notice the only people who value the PMP are non-engineers and people who do not understand the value of the PE.

Our project control team values the PMP because all they do is schedule, budget and contract administration. I realize I don't need it at my current employer and it won't be worth anything now, but if they are willing to pay for me to get it I might as well do it because I could be looking for a job in the next 18 months. I may good for the LEED AP cert next.

Whatever it takes to make me more marketable for my next employer is a good thing.

I'm with you on the LEED cert Dex. This may be something I pursue next year

Our project control team values the PMP because all they do is schedule, budget and contract administration. I realize I don't need it at my current employer and it won't be worth anything now, but if they are willing to pay for me to get it I might as well do it because I could be looking for a job in the next 18 months. I may good for the LEED AP cert next.

Whatever it takes to make me more marketable for my next employer is a good thing.
I'm not sure what line of work you are in, but my new company has been pushing the ENV SP, basically the same thing as LEED, only it is geared towards infrastructure projects (think water treatment plants, power plants, O&G facilities, transmission lines) rather than commercial buildings. It's a little bit cheaper and easier.

Thanks for the insight into your PMP process. Seems like everyone swears by the Rita Mulcahy book, so I went ahead and bought it. Though I think it's silly, I read online Rita Mulcahy passed away in 2010, and they are still releasing new editions of the book in her name. The class we they are doing at work is not really helping me that much, so far it's more to check the box on the application that I completed the 35 hours. So far I don't think the PMP education will be that helpful, but when HR has to check the box to approve promotions, it will help that they can check the PMP box.

How do you pass the PMP audit ? Any thing to watch out for ?
Try to avoid it, dont put too many hours (IE no more than 40/week) dont make huge bold claims just be normal.

Audit isnt bad, a coworker did it, lots of paperwork.  Just google for more info, theres sites to help

My application wasn't audited.  The prep class I took spent a fair amount of time helping us setup our application to prevent audits like glock mentioned above.

For PMP, does becoming member of PMI reduce chances of being audited. For those who got audited, did you pay non membership exam fees or member exam fees. Please post. 

For PMP, does becoming member of PMI reduce chances of being audited. For those who got audited, did you pay non membership exam fees or member exam fees. Please post. 
I've never heard of that before. But only something like 2% of applications are audited, so your chances are fairly slim. The only thing, is they won't tell you until after you pay.

If you do not pass the PMP audit, do they refund your money back ? The exam costs almost $555 and I don't want to lose the money . What happens if I do not pass the audit ? Can I   apply for CAPM instead as it has less stringent requirements ?

If you do not pass the PMP audit, do they refund your money back ? The exam costs almost $555 and I don't want to lose the money . What happens if I do not pass the audit ? Can I   apply for CAPM instead as it has less stringent requirements ?
You do not get your money back and I believe you're locked out from applying for anything for a significant time period.

Do you really have the experience? If so, you'll be fine. If not, save yourself the hassle and get the CAPM until you have the experience. $555 is a lot but if you have the experience youll be fine.

@thecityofjoy

there are 3 results of failing a pmp audit: 

1.) No Fault

“Cannot verify education or experience through no fault of their own - No suspension period and cannot reapply until candidate can provide the experience hours and document them.”

You should be able to avoid this by making sure you have all your documentation before you submit your PMP Exam application. However, if for some reason, your education or experience cannot be confirmed, through no fault of your own, then PMI will still let you fail the audit. You may reapply as soon as you have your experience hours documented or confirmation of your degree.

2.) Non-Compliance

“Candidate chooses not to attempt audit - One year suspension period”

If you are audited and you simply have too much going on in your life to participate in the audit, then you can choose not to give any audit responses. Similar to pleading “no contest,” the candidate is subject to a one year suspension period before he/she can apply for the PMP Exam again.

3.) Fraud

“Providing False Information - Permanently suspended from sitting for PMI exams.

This should be obvious to you… Don’t lie! It’s not worth it! If you provide false information on your PMP application and you fail an audit because of it, you will be permanently suspended from sitting for any PMI exams. And they truly do mean forever.
from: https://www.project-management-prepcast.com/free/pmp-exam/articles/248-three-ways-to-fail-your-pmp-exam-audit

Please suggest some good books for PMP exam. I purchased Paul Sangheera and Philips book. Are these good to pass? Exam scheduled mid March this year. 

Back