Planning to take the SE Buildings exam in October 2021

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonzaga

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning on taking the SE exam in October 2021 and I'm looking for some help and hear thoughts about which one should I take first Latera vs Vertical, also what are good prep courses and reference materials will help to pass this massive exam.

Thanks 

I would do vertical first, since the lateral stuff builds on the vertical anyway.  AEI(https://www.aei-california.com/) is great, and lots of people here have used it.  I used PPI as well as AEI, and do not recommend the PPI course. The ASCE course is ok as well not as in-depth as AEI.  The binder and quantity of worked examples is worth every penny of the AEI course, plus two instructors who want to see you succeed as much as you want to.

I agree with @vhab49_PE about AEI's course and material. I am actually taking both their vertical and lateral classes for April 2021. I've already started with the vertical class, and it is very thorough and in-depth. The practice problems and the practice exams are great, and definitely challenging.

They are not cheap, but I think they're worth the money!

As for which exam to take first, I agree with vhab. Were I to split them up, I would take vertical first.

As for which exam to take first, you may want to consider taking the Lateral first.  The codes will mostly change for the Fall, and the code change will be less of a burden for  the Vertical Exam.

As for which exam to take first, you may want to consider taking the Lateral first.  The codes will mostly change for the Fall, and the code change will be less of a burden for  the Vertical Exam.
Oh, very good take on it, right there!

Which just reminds me, I'll be over the moon if I can somehow get these silly exams done in one shot, my first and last shot before the code change.

Maybe it's my conservative nature, but I see that as a reason to wait on the lateral.  If you go all in for the lateral in the spring and fail, you'll have to relearn all that for the code change.  Not necessarily the end of the world, but 1 chance to pass with these codes or a couple years to pass with the updated ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I just realized @Gonzaga said they were planning to take it in October.  That is when NCEES will lost likely update the code references.  So my reasoning for taking the lateral FIRST is moot.

If you start studying NOW for the fall exam, you have a great chance to pass both.  Studying for that long may be daunting and "burnout" may happen....

Here are two study plans you can follow:

https://www.aei-california.com/content/se-lateral-webinars-schedule

https://www.aei-california.com/content/vertical-forces-live-webinar-schedule

I am enrolled in the Lateral course starting on Saturday.

All they have stated is that the current codes will be in effect until the April 21 exams. They will most likely change aftet that, this past summer is when they would have, but opted not to change with everything going on.
My guess is IBC 18, ASCE 7-16, and AASHTO 8. ASCE 7-16 is going to be a big change, as well as the AASHTO 8. (That is the version my office uses, and it was recommended not to take it in place of AASHTO 7 because of the shear amonut of changes.

All they have stated is that the current codes will be in effect until the April 21 exams. They will most likely change aftet that, this past summer is when they would have, but opted not to change with everything going on.
My guess is IBC 18, ASCE 7-16, and AASHTO 8. ASCE 7-16 is going to be a big change, as well as the AASHTO 8. (That is the version my office uses, and it was recommended not to take it in place of AASHTO 7 because of the shear amonut of changes.
Do you think the wood NDS and masonry TMS will be changed also?

A lot depends on how local jurisdictions have adopted and adapted their own jurisdictions’ codes. I think that is a factor. While it is reasonable to expect IBC 18 to kick in, the numerical soup among other cross referencing codes can make the Oct 2021 specifications hard to predict.

I chatted with NCEES. They said they can't provide any information on code updates until after the April exam. It seems very unfair, especially to those who's already studying for the October exam. Just retabing all the codes will be a nightmare....

I chatted with NCEES. They said they can't provide any information on code updates until after the April exam. It seems very unfair, especially to those who's already studying for the October exam. Just retabing all the codes will be a nightmare....
I think the reason NCEES can't release the new code updates yet is to avoid confusion with the April 2021 exam specs. But if we're predicting that the next code cycle will be based on IBC 2018 then you can use IBC's code reference section below to see which codes it will use:
https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IBC2018/chapter-35-referenced-standards
This doesn't include any AASHTO code update that might happen since that IBC Chapter 35 doesn't talk about AASHTO.

Plus the ~$1000 I'd have to spend on new references, or at least the $1000 I'd have to convince my boss to pay

Hello Gonzaga,
Did you make up your mind yet about what review course you are going to take for the SE exam? I am taking the vertical part this April and I am not sure which review course I should take (if any). They all are very pricey and I am paying out of pocket as my boss refused to pay. I am not sure if I need to take a review course to begin with. Can you share your thoughts please?
Any insight from anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Back