PE Seal document control

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy167

Passed PE
Reaction score
I supervise, control, direct and do final review of analytical studies which are submitted by my colleagues who are in different office location. Right now after I review the report, recommend changes and review it again to make sure changes are implemented. I electronically send my seal, sign it and date it. This then is inserted in a PDF document before the study is sent to client and final copy is sent to me for my file. 

I feel like I should have a complete document control after I seal it, meaning my electronic seal shouldn't be out there where I won't have any control as to how it gets used. 

How do you guys deal with this?  I'm sure many people have faced this scenario?  Ideally after you seal it, you can make a read /print only document that way no one can change what you signed on and you have complete control of your seal. But now a days, many things can be done such as take a print of your electronic seal, photo shop it and paste it in some other document. I don't know how you can control anything with electronic transmittal. If it is a hard copy then you have a lot more control. 

Please throw some ideas guys. 

We use DocuSign after affixing the stamp and flattening the PDF.  You should affix the stamp yourself after the document is complete.  That works for Massachusetts.  Do you really need to stamp your studies?  We typically only stamp permit drawings unless we are required to stamp the construction set; but never studies.

I'll have the production team send me the file for me to insert my seal myself.

As @vhab49_PE mentioned, in most states the seal will not be valid anyway unless it is a verifiable digital signature. Once printed it becomes invalidated in most states as the digital certificate can no longer be validated. Typically unlocking and editing the file after the digital signature has been applied will also invalidate the signature.

I print out the title page, put a ink stamp, sign & date it, then scan the title page and insert that in a PDF file which is sent to the customer. I have not found a way, where you just lock the title page, customer should be able to print and open the pdf file without any password etc. I think if someone has a pdf editor they can do the photo shopping. 

Docusign is a good solution, but if someone wants to alter a document or forge a seal, there's not a lot to be done to stop them. That's why it's so important to keep a copy for yourself. So if it ever comes you can can say, "THIS is what I sealed."

A couple things:

1.  We sometimes have to seal studies as well as a customer requirement.  Odd but ok.

2.  You will never have perfect control over your stamp once it leaves the door.  Your are relying on the ethical compass of others.  For that reason, keep a solid record of what you sealed and when so if it ever comes to it, at least you will have evidence to the contrary of anything nefarious.

Back