PE sample power 537

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kduff70

Reaction score
I was going over problem 537 of the Pe sample exam . To get a good understanding of this question would the  Icharging current flow through the line length of a conductor  acting as shunt capacitor to ground therefore the line length , the voltage to ground and the radius of the conductor would play a part in Icharging current. If this is the case shouldn't the radius of the conductor be included in this type of problem? any help with problem would be greatly appreciated

I agree too.  the equation for capacitance is  

image.png

Which has radius in the equation.  I think it plays a tiny role in the equation compared to length and voltage, but still proportional.  

What are we missing?

The length of the line and the voltage are directly (interpret linearly) proportional to the charging current. The radius of conductors is "positively" correlated but varies by a factor of log10, so is not directly/linearly proportional. This is a very confusing question in my opinion centering around the definition of "directly proportional".

Back