PE Power New CBT Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a COVID-related question to ask. I know that you obviously have to wear a mask for the duration of the exam, and you can't show up to the exam if you're positive (stay safe and healthy, everyone!)...

Are there any other COVID or health-related requirements for the CBT exam that we should know about? They didn't ask you to show proof that you're not positive, did they?

@akyip They haven't asked anything at all. They were just asking all examinees to wash their hands before entering test center and also they were sanitizing the fingerprint  area after each examinee give their fingerprint. You should wear mask at all time during exam. I found it difficult to use glasses with mask and removed my glasses within no time. Staring computer for 8hours drive us crazy as even simple questions look harder.

Did Pearson-Vue send you a confirmation email before the exam or did you just show up on your scheduled day? 

Did Pearson-Vue send you a confirmation email before the exam or did you just show up on your scheduled day? 
I didn't receive an additional email from them. Just showed up on the scheduled day. (Took it on Tuesday, 12/1)

I didn't receive an additional email from them. Just showed up on the scheduled day. (Took it on Tuesday, 12/1)
I do believe that you should bring a printed copy of the email from Pearson when you first scheduled your exam date, correct?

I do believe that you should bring a printed copy of the email from Pearson when you first scheduled your exam date, correct?
Some of the info say to do so. At my location, the lady didn’t look at anyone’s copy. They have you on a list. It could be useful if there is an issue or if you are at a very large testing center, but they weren’t even used at my location.

Yeah that "bring a printed copy" has been on NCEES email for years and years. Now that covid exist I doubt anyone would want to hold a random piece of paper. If you can't pull up your email on your phone, i would bring it. I think the entire purpose is if you show up and they don't have your name down, that paper or the email on phone can show them the mix up. 

Like everyone said though, i printed mine and took it, can't hurt. 

So today, I was finally been able to take my PE power Exam for the first time in my life after being cancelled twice a row due to this COVID thing.

So I arrived at the testing center at 7:15am and they already letting us in. The proctor checked my ID to verify my appointment. She inspected my calculator and my glasses and checked if I was wearing any electronics or jewelry, checked my pockets , and sleeves. It took me  about 5 mins for those inspections. 

My exam room was not that quiet. There were people outside cutting trees with their chainsaws(so annoying). So I used my earmuffs for 30 minutes. The room were not that cold nor warm as well, so I have no complains about it since I also wear a sweater.

Like the other said, the morning have 42 questions and afternoon have 38 questions. 

My experience in the morning is not that bad for me. I finished my first pass in 1hr, 2nd pass in another hour and reviewed all my answers in the 3rd hour. I think I guessed about 3-5 questions in the morning session. But for the afternoon session, I feel like they just pound me with all those qualitative questions. Questions that even I have the references with me I will still not going to understand. I think I guess 8-10 questions for that afternoon session. But I finished the test with 20 minutes left in my clock after doing my 3rd pass and review all my answers.

Overall, I could say that the power handbook is useful in most of the problems. You just need to dig deep and know how the formulas work and how to use it. I would also say that there are formulas that are not in the handbook as well and will need to memorize to answer the problem. In regards to NEC, you have really need to understand what the question is asking and then look for terms so you can just use the search bar to find it. 

Best of luck.. My waiting game of 5-10 business days is on.. I will update when my result came. ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:
To those who have taken the exam, did you find a need to use the math section of the handbook as related to trig/derivateives/integrals? I feel like they took such a large portion of the handbook for it, does anyone recommend I brush up on my integration by parts?

So today, I was finally been able to take my PE power Exam for the first time in my life after being cancelled twice a row due to this COVID thing.

So I arrived at the testing center at 7:15am and they already letting us in. The proctor checked my ID to verify my appointment. She inspected my calculator and my glasses and checked if I was wearing any electronics or jewelry, checked my pockets , and sleeves. It took me  about 5 mins for those inspections. 

My exam room was not that quiet. There were people outside cutting trees with their chainsaws(so annoying). So I used my earmuffs for 30 minutes. The room were not that cold nor warm as well, so I have no complains about it since I also wear a sweater.

Like the other said, the morning have 42 questions and afternoon have 38 questions. 

My experience in the morning is not that bad for me. I finished my first pass in 1hr, 2nd pass in another hour and reviewed all my answers in the 3rd hour. I think I guessed about 3-5 questions in the morning session. But for the afternoon session, I feel like they just pound me with all those qualitative questions. Questions that even I have the references with me I will still not going to understand. I think I guess 8-10 questions for that afternoon session. But I finished the test with 20 minutes left in my clock after doing my 3rd pass and review all my answers.

Overall, I could say that the power handbook is useful in most of the problems. You just need to dig deep and know how the formulas work and how to use it. I would also say that there are formulas that are not in the handbook as well and will need to memorize to answer the problem. In regards to NEC, you have really need to understand what the question is asking and then look for terms so you can just use the search bar to find it. 

Best of luck.. My waiting game of 5-10 business days is on.. I will update when my result came. ;)  
Best of luck to you sir!

anyone got their results???? I took it yesterday and honestly.. I am not sure. Am I supposed to feel like I passed if I passed? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
@bufalita I would reference the first post in this thread

Given that we are on a condensed results period, you will experience a lot of feelings in a matter of a week. The only advice I can give (having not been through it yet) is to stay positive and be patient. It doesn't help to worry about the exam results until they are released.

@bufalita I think NCEES release exam results every Wednesday 10AM CST just like FE exam results. Tomorrow 10 AM CST will be golden hour to check our results. Hope everyone passes. 

image.png

Passed! It seems the "Wednesday at 10AM ET" results rumor is correct for the CBT exams.

Shoutout to @justin-hawaii for his review guide and practice exams, as well as @Zach Stone, P.E. for his practice exam. I believe these were the two best resources I used to prepare for the exam this year, and I don't think I would have passed without them. 

I hope everyone else receives good news today!

Back