PE Power #13

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaoyaodes

Reaction score
Can anyone help me explain this question? My answer was D, not quite sure how the capacitor impact the circuit.

Attachments

• IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 29
This problem is a bit hard to explain. I tend to have a more difficult time explaining power electronics. Attached is my work and notes for this problem (this was problem 113 in the previous version of the NCEES PE Power practice exam).

Attachments

• NCEES 113.jpg
    NCEES 113.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 80
Also attached are some notes and information I have about the capacitor and charging current in a rectifier circuit. I learned this from Zach Stone's Electrical PE Review.

• Remember from circuit fundamentals that a capacitor is able to hold/store a voltage. So when the input or source AC voltage cycles between positive and negative, the capacitor stores some of that voltage. More specifically, the capacitor cycles between charging up and discharging.
  • The capacitor charges up when the input voltage is greater than or equal to the capacitor voltage. So there is charging current flowing into the capacitor during this time.
  • The capacitor discharges once the input voltage is less than the capacitor voltage. So as it discharges, the charging current leaves the capacitor.

Attachments

• Rectifier Capacitor Charging Current (1).jpg
    Rectifier Capacitor Charging Current (1).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 71
  • Rectifier Capacitor Charging Current (2).jpg
    Rectifier Capacitor Charging Current (2).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 63
Also attached are some notes and information I have about the capacitor and charging current in a rectifier circuit. I learned this from Zach Stone's Electrical PE Review.

• Remember from circuit fundamentals that a capacitor is able to hold/store a voltage. So when the input or source AC voltage cycles between positive and negative, the capacitor stores some of that voltage. More specifically, the capacitor cycles between charging up and discharging.
  • The capacitor charges up when the input voltage is greater than or equal to the capacitor voltage. So there is charging current flowing into the capacitor during this time.
  • The capacitor discharges once the input voltage is less than the capacitor voltage. So as it discharges, the charging current leaves the capacitor.
Thanks for the mention @akyip!

This problem is a bit hard to explain. I tend to have a more difficult time explaining power electronics. Attached is my work and notes for this problem (this was problem 113 in the previous version of the NCEES PE Power practice exam).
Thank you! I am sorry, I could not read. The image is not so clear. is that possible that you can take another photo?

Thank you! I am sorry, I could not read. The image is not so clear. is that possible that you can take another photo?
You can download visible attachments and then open them up separately and zoom in on them further if needed... Does this not work for you?

Thanks for a good explanation but to clear my doubts further I want to read the attachment but even after downloading and I open in further I am not able to read.

You can download visible attachments and then open them up separately and zoom in on them further if needed... Does this not work for you?
Thanks for a good explanation but to clear my doubts further I want to read the attachment but even after downloading and I open in further I am not able to read.

Back