PE License Reciprocity To Another State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAconsteng

Reaction score
I just had a general question regarding reciprocity...

I did some looking and it appears NJ does not offer reciprocity according to their FAQ Page on their Consumer Affairs page (http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/pels/Pages/FAQ.aspx). The language is below. Does anyone have any experience with this? In reading the FAQ question, it would make sense that one is not "Automatically" licensed. I'd imagine there is an application process along with experience requirements, however in the response, it says that it does not provide reciprocity; which was the concerning part.

If I am already licensed in another state as a professional engineer or land surveyor, am I automatically licensed in New Jersey?

No. Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 45:8-35(1)e, the Board's enabling legislation does not contain an eminence or grandfather clause, nor does it provide for reciprocity with any state, territory or country.

Hardly any state has "reciprocity".  That would mean the other state completely honors your license from another state.  Your driver's license is an example of reciprocity.  Engineering licenses, and most other professional licenses use "comity".  Basically, that means you have to apply to every other state you wish to practice in, and must meet that board's requirements.  

Example: CA only requires 2 years of experience with an accredited degree.  Most other states require 4.  If you have a CA PE with 3 years of experience, most other states won't grant you a license.  A few you will have a hard time because they require you have 4 years of experience before even taking the PE.  A few others (like PA) require you have an FE certification for 4 years before taking the PE.  It's very convoluted.  

NJ will give you a license by comity (I have it).  If you use the NCEES record, they will ONLY accept the education and licensing part of it.  You still need to re-submit all the experience on the NJ-specific forms.  If you haven't done an NCEES record but plan to, wait until June 20.  They are rolling out a new system with no application or renewal fees (I'm guessing the only fees will be to transmit to the states).

Hardly any state has "reciprocity".  That would mean the other state completely honors your license from another state.  Your driver's license is an example of reciprocity.  Engineering licenses, and most other professional licenses use "comity".  Basically, that means you have to apply to every other state you wish to practice in, and must meet that board's requirements.  

Example: CA only requires 2 years of experience with an accredited degree.  Most other states require 4.  If you have a CA PE with 3 years of experience, most other states won't grant you a license.  A few you will have a hard time because they require you have 4 years of experience before even taking the PE.  A few others (like PA) require you have an FE certification for 4 years before taking the PE.  It's very convoluted.  

NJ will give you a license by comity (I have it).  If you use the NCEES record, they will ONLY accept the education and licensing part of it.  You still need to re-submit all the experience on the NJ-specific forms.  If you haven't done an NCEES record but plan to, wait until June 20.  They are rolling out a new system with no application or renewal fees (I'm guessing the only fees will be to transmit to the states).
Thanks! I guess I was using the term interchangeably and didn't realize the significance of "comity"

Correct. You still have to apply for a PE license via comity.  What forms you have to fill out vary by state and some states recognize NCEES records which shortens the application significantly, but some do not. 

Back