PE exam eligibility date

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreEngine

Reaction score
Hey guys. A quick math needed from you. I took And cleared FE civil in April 2019. I started working back in March 2018, so took FE a year later and already have a masters degree. When will I be eligible to write the PE exam in NY state? April or October 2021? Do I need the 3 years of work experience before the PE exam or before getting approval to sit for the PE?

Hey guys. A quick math needed from you. I took And cleared FE civil in April 2019. I started working back in March 2018, so took FE a year later and already have a masters degree. When will I be eligible to write the PE exam in NY state? April or October 2021? Do I need the 3 years of work experience before the PE exam or before getting approval to sit for the PE?
Take a look at the attached chart from NY State Office of Professions. The chart indicates that the state doesn't really accept any education credits beyond a bachelor's degree. If you obtain a bachelor's degree in any field of engineering from an ABET accredited school, you have 8 credits automatically and can only get the remaining 4 credits from working experience. You must have 12 credits in order to apply for the PE.

Now maybe you can document in the work experience forms that 1 year of additional schooling as long as the courses taken we're relevant to engineering and have that verified by your school advisor or something like that, but you would want to verify with the board if that would be accepted.

This is that New York State Education Department, Office of Professions website: NYS Professional Engineering:License Requirements
You should read through all of the pages and forms on there. There is also a contact us link where you can email questions and they will usually respond within 1-2 business days.

You should also get a move on in submitting the paperwork if you plan on taking the April exam at this point. It took at least 2 months for my application to get approved once it was submitted last year.

Attachments

• peexpchart.pdf
    181.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Your masters degree counts as a single year of experience (whether it took you that long or longer). You need the three years of experience + masters to equal four years, minimum, to get approval (I am assuming your undergrad was abet and you got full 6 year credit for that). NYS is super picky about experience and are known to toss years from your application if they don’t like the wording or description (I had a coworker who submitted 4.5 years and NYSDoE only accepted 3.5, so he had to resubmit again). They review kinda quickly, under 2months usually, but they do lose paperwork/appendices, so if you submit and don’t hear anything after a month and a half, a quick, polite, email will usually help.

Back