PE exam - Discussion

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganesh

Reaction score
I do structures but also have some transportation experience.

I passed my PE Exam in the second attempt. the smart thing i did this time was to go for transportation in the afternoon. I had taken structural the first time and did not pass. Transportation seems to be the easiest. The biggest thing is to know the standards especially HCM and AASHTO green book. The morning session was very easy this time. I was out of the hall in 2 hrs.

I carried less books this time and everything was more organized. I studied pretty much all the areas even economics and environmental which I did not do it first time and left them to guess in the exam. That is a bad strategy as most of the time guessing is wrong and lot of questions (atleast 8-10 (environmental, economics, construction management) are asked in these areas.

All those who passed congratulations from me and all those who did not pass all the best for the next timem there is always a next time and nothing is end of the world.

Thanks

Ganesh Deshmukh

Elite engineering solutions.

[email protected]

Please feel free to ask me questions if you have any and I will be more than glad to help out my fellow engineers.

Thanks

I passed my PE Exam in the second attempt. the smart thing i did this time was to go for transportation in the afternoon. I had taken structural the first time and did not pass. Transportation seems to be the easiest. The biggest thing is to know the standards especially HCM and AASHTO green book. The morning session was very easy this time. I was out of the hall in 2 hrs.

I carried less books this time and everything was more organized. I studied pretty much all the areas even economics and environmental which I did not do it first time and left them to guess in the exam. That is a bad strategy as most of the time guessing is wrong and lot of questions (atleast 8-10 (environmental, economics, construction management) are asked in these areas.

All those who passed congratulations from me and all those who did not pass all the best for the next timem there is always a next time and nothing is end of the world.

Thanks

Ganesh Deshmukh

Elite engineering solutions.

[email protected]

Please feel free to ask me questions if you have any and I will be more than glad to help out my fellow engineers.

Thanks
I took Structural I and failed. Now dunna what to do. Should I stick with STR I or switch to Civil. People do recommend to take the CIVIL.

I took Structural I and failed. Now dunna what to do. Should I stick with STR I or switch to Civil. People do recommend to take the CIVIL.
I know failing in SE1 always makes one doubt whether you should go for Civil or not..... I have given SE1 and waiting for results.

I would say that think about it yourself.... Why did you give SE1 the first time? PE Civil has been traditionally viewed as easier than SE1 partly due to its passing rates....... But that does not neccessarily mean that it will be easier for you.

I would rather spent time learning about things I would actually use then learning something that I would never use...

It is upto you which way would be easier for YOU, not for anyone else. Everyone has different tendancy and you would well served to find out which exam suits you better.

In most of the states it does not matter whether you pass in CIVIL or SE1, so do a little self analysis to find out which exam would be easiest for you.

I know failing in SE1 always makes one doubt whether you should go for Civil or not..... I have given SE1 and waiting for results.
I would say that think about it yourself.... Why did you give SE1 the first time? PE Civil has been traditionally viewed as easier than SE1 partly due to its passing rates....... But that does not neccessarily mean that it will be easier for you.

I would rather spent time learning about things I would actually use then learning something that I would never use...

It is upto you which way would be easier for YOU, not for anyone else. Everyone has different tendancy and you would well served to find out which exam suits you better.

In most of the states it does not matter whether you pass in CIVIL or SE1, so do a little self analysis to find out which exam would be easiest for you.
Thanks for the thoughts. I work 100% structural in the office. But I don't do Timber, Prestressed or Masonry. These subjects killed me in the test although i did very well on other subjects.

The bottom line is; I wanna pass. The pass rates are obviously higher in PE-Civil. But I'm gonna have to deal with Transportation, Const Management, Geotech if I switch to Civil. That's the down side.

Thanks for the thoughts. I work 100% structural in the office. But I don't do Timber, Prestressed or Masonry. These subjects killed me in the test although i did very well on other subjects. The bottom line is; I wanna pass. The pass rates are obviously higher in PE-Civil. But I'm gonna have to deal with Transportation, Const Management, Geotech if I switch to Civil. That's the down side.
polat kardesim

I took SE-1 this april and passed it thank god.I am working 100%structural in the office and it is better for you to take again SE-1.

Because you have to learn masonry timber prestressed one day in your engineering life.

first time i hesitated either taking SE or Civil exam. but i am glad that i took SE.

This time spend more time on solving questions. NCEES sample SE-1 question book is very helpful.if you need more advice let me know i can help you out

good luck

I passed my PE Exam in the second attempt. the smart thing i did this time was to go for transportation in the afternoon. I had taken structural the first time and did not pass. Transportation seems to be the easiest. The biggest thing is to know the standards especially HCM and AASHTO green book. The morning session was very easy this time. I was out of the hall in 2 hrs...
I completely agree, that was a smart decision. Upon arriving at the test center I met a few college classmates who does structures for a living but decided to take something other than structures in the afternoon. Everyone told me that it was really hard. These guys are going back because they have previously failed the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time with structural depth. "Just look at the Lindeburg structural section and compare" one guy explained to me.

Oh great, I have both outdated steel and masonry manuals. I was ignorant and naive then (should have gotten on this board sooner). Honestly, I felt horrible after and during the test. I had to guess on half of the questions in the afternoon. I could not sleep at all that night even though I needed it badly because here in California you have the seismic and surveying tests the next day.

In 3 plus months of waiting I kept thinking, I should have taken the Geotech depth in the afternoon. Fortunately, I did very well in the morning, hardly any guessing and it helped me passed the the national 8hr exam the first time. If I was to do it all over again, I would not have picked structural depth. Who knows I might have passed all 3 tests instead of 2 with more rest and less anxiety. Anyways, thank God that part is over.

I would be interested to see the pass rates for the various afternoon modules. I know that ncees scores them differently, but I'm wondering if less structural pm takers pass vs transpo takers.

I'll be sitting for the SE1 for the first time in April. It sounds quite daunting.

Thanks for the thoughts. I work 100% structural in the office. But I don't do Timber, Prestressed or Masonry. These subjects killed me in the test although i did very well on other subjects. The bottom line is; I wanna pass. The pass rates are obviously higher in PE-Civil. But I'm gonna have to deal with Transportation, Const Management, Geotech if I switch to Civil. That's the down side.
Merhabalar,

Pe sinavi hakkinda bana yardimci olabilirmisiniz hangi kitaplari tavsiye edersiniz hangi bolumden sinavi almaliyim gibi...

Tesekkurler

[email protected]

I regret if I seem rude, but there is a private messaging facility for person to person messages.

Merhabalar,
Pe sinavi hakkinda bana yardimci olabilirmisiniz hangi kitaplari tavsiye edersiniz hangi bolumden sinavi almaliyim gibi...

Tesekkurler

[email protected]
Translation: Turkish (automatically detected) » English

Pe exam would you recommend books about me, which help olabilirmisiniz bolumler which such examination almaliyim ...

via translator.com

Transportation/Construction are generally considered the easier modules while structural/water resources is generally considered the harder module.

Knowing this i still opted to take structural though since this is meant to be a learning experience, not a card in your wallet. And since i do structural at work it wouldn't do any good to spend 100's of hours looking over transportation problems. But if you really work in a field where you do both equally, then I see no problem going either way.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Now regarding the turkish... wow...

CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE ONES WHO PASSED THE OCT. 2009!! I PASS THE TEST FINALLY.... AFTER 6 TIMES!! :party-smiley-048:

Transportation/Construction are generally considered the easier modules while structural/water resources is generally considered the harder module.
Knowing this i still opted to take structural though since this is meant to be a learning experience, not a card in your wallet. And since i do structural at work it wouldn't do any good to spend 100's of hours looking over transportation problems. But if you really work in a field where you do both equally, then I see no problem going either way.

I disagree. Passing PE will fatten your wallet considerably. :)

If you can spend 10 hours and pass Civil Const Management or Civil Trans, would you? :)

CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE ONES WHO PASSED THE OCT. 2009!! I PASS THE TEST FINALLY.... AFTER 6 TIMES!! :party-smiley-048:
roman, congrats on passing... now please quit writing it on every thread on the board!

HEY THANKS FOR YOUR MESSAGE, BUT, I JUST HAD 2 POSTS.. I NEED 25 TO BE ON THE LIST.. JAJA SORRY GUYS...
That's alright. I'm on pace to do 25posts/day, which will give me 750posts the first month, and 9125 posts the first year!

I have a friend who works in transportation and went into the exam with intentions of taking that depth, but when he got the test and glanced at water resources decided to go that route. He passed and even though he works in a different field, his educational institute was geared more toward water resources. The university I attended was strong in structures, but I would be scared to death to try the Structural unless I worked in that field. My field is also in transportation so that is the depth in which I tested. I took me three times and the first two I did not study very much.

I guess my idea is that you take it in the area that you feel the strongest in unless your employer requires otherwise.

Good thoughts. And congrats to all that passed the Oct. 2009!!! That includes me! DON'T GIVE UP for those who did not pass this time.

Now that I passed, I want to talk about the exam. I took the exam twice, Civil / Transportation each time. The first time, I studied the CERM and what my friends that took it previously said to study. My exam was vastly different from theirs and I failed. The second time I studied everything the CERM, HCM and ASHTO manuals. I brought into three more texts including a dictionary and I was glad I did. Do not base your studying on what other people tell you.

Yep...still trying to bring up my post count! ;) :)

The exam was interesting. I was worried but all I used to study for this was my MERM, and that was pretty much my only reference. I took the Mechanical Thermal/fluids. Does anyone have any comments on this specific test this past time? Which references did you use?

i thought the morning exam was pretty straight forward.. the afternoon water resources and environmental was a little difficult just because of how much material you had to know for two sections... but i guess i knew enough to pass!! B)

Back