PE Exam and Qualifying Experience in NJ

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new_injuneer

Reaction score
I am considering taking the PE exam in NJ for environmental but this is more of a general question.

It says 4 years of engineering experience, and 2 years of design under a PE. I do believe I have this but I'm unsure how the board will view the experience as qualifying.

So basically, it seems like I cannot submit the application without passing the PE exam.

But it will be a difficult exam and a lot of studying for me , so I would like to know if my experience qualifies before putting in the tremendous amount of work.

Any comments? Thanks.

If you are unsure how the board will view your experience, you should probably ask the board directly. Most of them are pretty nice. Requirements vary by state, so your best bet is likely to ask the people in your state that are going to make that decision. Plus you didn't really lay out what makes your experience unique here, so no one could really give you much advice.

For NJ, you could take the PE exam without the board's permission. After you pass the PE exam, you should provide proof of your exam pass and all other requirements like work experience and professional reference.
My application is still in review, but I did everything thru the NCEES record.
Hopefully this would help

For NJ, you could take the PE exam without the board's permission. After you pass the PE exam, you should provide proof of your exam pass and all other requirements like work experience and professional reference.
Can you take the PE exam anytime before 4-year experience or do you have to wait until after 4 years to sit for the exam?

Can you take the PE exam anytime before 4-year experience or do you have to wait until after 4 years to sit for the exam?
You can take it anytime now in NJ. Like most states, NJ has moved away from the requirement of being approved before you can take your exam. You register directly to NCEES and then once you have experience and ready to submit application, you include a copy of the test results. If I’m not mistaken, I think NJ even moved away from paper applications and is doing electronic applications.

How long did review process take?

Back