Pe construction passing rate

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John123

Reaction score
Why passing rate of Pe construction is less than Pe structural while structual is more difficult !!!!!!

how comesšŸ˜£

attachment from NCEES

Attachments

• 7A7D13A6-50BF-4D28-8F34-F16E5E73CBCE.jpeg
    7A7D13A6-50BF-4D28-8F34-F16E5E73CBCE.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 29
I'm electrical, but if I had to guess it would be because as you stated structural is considered to be more difficult. Anyone preparing for the structural exam is doing so assuming the exam is more difficult, therefore will probably put more effort and time into studying. It could also be, again just speculating, there is more study and exam prep material available for the structural exam since it is more popular.

People taking structural are smarter than people taking construction.

It's a joke. But might be true. Or people who take the construction depth are more likely to be in a field setting and tend to get more anxious about the exam. Or may not have as much time available to study based on the demands of their job. Realistically it could be a million different reasons.

Here's my two cents as someone who took the Construction exam and as stated above, spends more time in a field setting with a demanding work schedule. I believe the reason that the passing rate is low is because the exam covers such a broad spectrum of topics which touch on "a little bit of everything" that is contained in the other discipline exams. You've got to be proficient enough in Geotech, WRE, Structural, & Transportation as well as the "Construction" side of the topic. Albeit, there's no reason for a Construction Examinee to delve into the depths of each of these topics like someone who is actually taking these exams, but you need at least a general understanding of the basic principles as they are present in the Depth section. Whereas, if you're taking the Structural exam, you know the questions asking will fall only under than one umbrella. Granted, if I recall correctly, the listed recommended references for Construction pales in comparison to Structural. So I'm sure that's a factor there.

Daily work schedule is definitely an obstacle. I spend 50 hours a week physically at work, and another 10-12 hours commuting per week depending on traffic. There's not much left in the tank when I get home. Then come home to a wife and a small child (at the time, now there's 2 of them) and perform family duties takes whatever is left. Once those are fulfilled, it's study time with whatever you're able to muster up. I'll admit there were a few EET course lectures that I definitely fell asleep during and had to re-watch.

The final reason I think it's so low is because the term "Construction" is so broad. I work for a heavy civil contractor that tackles project that involve just about every type of Civil discipline throughout the projects. So, in my work experience I've been exposed to geotechnical issues/topics (boring logs, pile driving, SOE requirements, etc.), Structural (SOE design, rigging (statics), stresses, concrete, lumber etc), water management, and others. Now, someone else might work for a construction company that deals only with utility installation. Both fall under the umbrella of Construction, but the exposure and experience is totally different. So, that person may say hey I don't do all those other 4 topics but I work in construction so that's the exam for me. In my exam experience, the Depth exam really required "real world" knowledge of topics. So depending on the examinees actual work field and experiences, Construction may not actually be the right test in that respect.

BUT, anyone who is willing to sign up and take this test knows how much of an undertaking it is. I'm sure it's not easy for any field, or walk of life. You have to make the sacrifices necessary to prepare yourself. If the test was easy, everyone with an engineering degree would take it.

I agree with the breadth portion being just too darn broad. I took WRE, and was frustrated with the questions on the exam. I way overstudied structural, and transportation, and then missed some of what could have been simple growth of bugs formulas...only in 15 years as a certified operator and environmental....I haven't used that once in the last 20 years. But there were multiple questions, thatni would have solved with a spread sheet, but was using a calculator doing something that I haven't had to do since college.
To me it seems construction really doesn't need to know WRE much, transportation seemed reasonable for construction but not WRE.
I like the old format where you had to answer the first 30 questions, and then choose 5 more in depth of 8 given. But I guess that doesn't work with a computer.

People taking structural are smarter than people taking construction.

It's a joke. But might be true. Or people who take the construction depth are more likely to be in a field setting and tend to get more anxious about the exam. Or may not have as much time available to study based on the demands of their job. Realistically it could be a million different reasons.
I don't think it's a smarter thing...its a testing thing. Throw someone from cube world in the middle of a dirt field, no computer, and see how they do.

I used to run a quarry and if you wanted to through the quality engineer off you brought him out to the field and put of his lab.

Construction engineers just dont spend the bulk of the day solving problems in 6 minutes.

We feel the Study material from popular vendors for Construction do not match reality. We are not perfect, but most schools here don't provide adequate updated material or support.

We invite you to try our Contruction course & books, if you get stuck in the material please let us know, we will help get unstuck and upto speed and pass contruction exams.

PassPE.com

Why passing rate of Pe construction is less than Pe structural while structual is more difficult !!!!!!

how comesšŸ˜£

attachment from NCEES
I felt construction was not that easy even though i am in the construction industry for almost 10 years

Back