PE Construction Depth - April 2021 - Want to do a study group?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuilderGirl

Reaction score
Hi All!  I am planning to take the Civil PE exam, Construction Depth, this Spring. It will be my first time taking the test, though I have 20 years of construction management experience, but mostly office and upper level management of late. I went undergrad in civil engineering 20+ years ago and just finished my CE masters this spring, so I am fresh on test taking again, but rusty on topics from undergrad (rusty is an understatement). I purchased ASCE class and lots of practice exams and have been at this since August on watching videos and working on rusty topics. I am planning a dry run of the test in a few weeks to see where I stand and what areas need work. 

I am happy to share materials.  Looking for friends who can hold me accountable and help me when I get stuck and banter over study techniques, ideas for rapid problem solving, digesting all of these references, and anxiety.  

Any takers? 

BuilderGirl

Hi All! I am planning to take the Civil PE exam, Construction Depth, this Spring. It will be my first time taking the test, though I have 20 years of construction management experience, but mostly office and upper level management of late. I went undergrad in civil engineering 20+ years ago and just finished my CE masters this spring, so I am fresh on test taking again, but rusty on topics from undergrad (rusty is an understatement). I purchased ASCE class and lots of practice exams and have been at this since August on watching videos and working on rusty topics. I am planning a dry run of the test in a few weeks to see where I stand and what areas need work.

I am happy to share materials. Looking for friends who can hold me accountable and help me when I get stuck and banter over study techniques, ideas for rapid problem solving, digesting all of these references, and anxiety.

Any takers?

BuilderGirl
Hi - I'm in the same boat and would like to join you studying for the construction part. I had my PMP 2019. I have some materials to share as well.

Hi - I'm in the same boat and would like to join you studying for the construction part. I had my PMP 2019. I have some materials to share as well.
Hi All! I am planning to take the Civil PE exam, Construction Depth, this Spring. It will be my first time taking the test, though I have 20 years of construction management experience, but mostly office and upper level management of late. I went undergrad in civil engineering 20+ years ago and just finished my CE masters this spring, so I am fresh on test taking again, but rusty on topics from undergrad (rusty is an understatement). I purchased ASCE class and lots of practice exams and have been at this since August on watching videos and working on rusty topics. I am planning a dry run of the test in a few weeks to see where I stand and what areas need work.

I am happy to share materials. Looking for friends who can hold me accountable and help me when I get stuck and banter over study techniques, ideas for rapid problem solving, digesting all of these references, and anxiety.

Any takers?

BuilderGirl

Just from experience - make sure you have, at a minimum, the NCEES recommended references. The two ACI books, SP4 & MNL (16) (or I hear it's (20) now) are a MUST (you do not need ACI 347 separate, as it is part of SP4). There were several "gimme" lookup type questions from these standards and a couple that took a little more brain power but were very straightforward (ie, given parameters, find table/equation, plug & chug). If you do not have these, or if you have and are not familiar with, you will at a disadvantage.

Same goes for the OSHA 1926 and MUTCD Part 6. In my opinion, anything requiring these two references are "easy money", if you know where to find the info in them.

Whatever references you choose to bring, make sure you are familiar with them. You do not need to read them like a book. Simple skimming and flagging of topics is more than enough. If you do not use them in studying, I wouldn't bring them to the exam unless you have them as an insurance policy. You only have so much space on the desk. I had my references for AM & PM and that is how I unpacked my suitcase in the exam. If it was a PM reference, it stayed in the bag until the afternoon session. I had a few references that never left the bag (and I think they're still packed in there today).

Any takers?

BuilderGirl
Definitely recommend having a study group. I took the Oct. 2020 Construction Depth exam and passed. I took the SOPE course.

I have a few a practice exam books I'm wanting to sell. Once I get to my work I'll be taking photos and uploading them.

... standby for books

Definitely recommend having a study group. I took the Oct. 2020 Construction Depth exam and passed. I took the SOPE course.

I have a few a practice exam books I'm wanting to sell. Once I get to my work I'll be taking photos and uploading them.

... standby for books
Can you inbox me your books you sell?

Any takers?

BuilderGirl
When you go through the practice exams, make sure the topics are still on the exam specification. The topics change over time, so you don't want to waste time on a topic that is no longer covered on the exam. I did this when reviewing old ASCE review class. I was halfway through a module on wastewater design when I realized that topic was not even on the exam.

I will also recommend studying basic geometry and trig functions. Some problems may look extremely hard and have you scratching your head....but then once you sketch it out, you realize you can solve the problem using a simple trig function.

Any takers?

BuilderGirl
Hi builder how was your exam did you pass.

Back