PE Civil CBT 2022

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also: only 9 sections! ****, I wish I only had 9! The first 8 topics for me are general civil, not even touching the depth of structural engineering yet at that point! The n there are 6 depth sections.

Edit: Note that in both diagnostics, the total number of items scored totals 70 questions. The exam I took was 80 questions, so they threw 10 out, but we're not told which 10 are not counted.

Yep, I don't mind sharing. Here is my first CBT attempt on 12/1/2020:

View attachment 26229

Second attempt the following March:

View attachment 26230
So 70% of 70 = 49 questions we need to get them correct? Will we get credit for any of the 10 questions which we do correct? Or do we still need 70% of 80 = 56 correct? What about the multi step design questions - open book exam had them, now we will be forced to remember the formulae as well as design steps? This is ridiculous. My masters program in US had open book exams for design subjects. I think the new CBT exam will either become too easy or too difficult, my guess is too difficult and pass rates might go down. If the pass rates go down too much will they revert back to paper and pencil exam which is open book for PE Civil Structural?

Edit: Note that in both diagnostics, the total number of items scored totals 70 questions. The exam I took was 80 questions, so they threw 10 out, but we're not told which 10 are not counted.

View attachment 26229

View attachment 26230
If you take 70% of 80=56 questions to pass and 56/70=80%. Then it becomes more difficult.

So 70% of 70 = 49 questions we need to get them correct? Will we get credit for any of the 10 questions which we do correct? Or do we still need 70% of 80 = 56 correct? What about the multi step design questions - open book exam had them, now we will be forced to remember the formulae as well as design steps? This is ridiculous. My masters program in US had open book exams for design subjects. I think the new CBT exam will either become too easy or too difficult, my guess is too difficult and pass rates might go down. If the pass rates go down too much will they revert back to paper and pencil exam which is open book for PE Civil Structural?
Your final score is out of 70 questions.

There are 10 experimental questions that do not count towards your score.

You will NEVER know which questions are experimental.

Also, stop trying to guess the cut score. Nobody can possibly know what it will be. And sicne they literally don't tell you how many you got right or wrong, there will never be a way to know. But my estimate would be to shoot for a 70% (49/70, or 56/80)

What are the testing periods? Is it simply the year divided by 3 months? They mention we can only try 3 times per year and once per testing period.

I hope the CBT for civil has more concepts than problem solving.

Lol revert back to P&P. I recommend you spend a good hour or 2 going over the NCEES website. PE Civil everything is now CBT, Structural (SE) is scheduled to go to CBT in 2024. Long story short nothing is going back to P&P

The only thing that might revert to P&P would be structural. When they see the pass rates for it in 2024, they'll modify their closed-book policies pretty **** fast.

In any case, I wish they'd just name is SE again, or eliminate the PE Civil Structural. It's too confusing with the names being so similar. If I had my way, I'd just make anyone who would select civil: structural take the Vertical SE component instead. Pass it, and you're a Professional Engineer. Then if you want the SE license, just pass the lateral component within 4 years or something.

The only thing that might revert to P&P would be structural. When they see the pass rates for it in 2024, they'll modify their closed-book policies pretty **** fast.

In any case, I wish they'd just name is SE again, or eliminate the PE Civil Structural. It's too confusing with the names being so similar. If I had my way, I'd just make anyone who would select civil: structural take the Vertical SE component instead. Pass it, and you're a Professional Engineer. Then if you want the SE license, just pass the lateral component within 4 years or something.
In 2024 or 2022?

View attachment 26229

View attachment 26230
This is the most ridiculous way of doing things. I can't believe these people. What the point of displaying things this way?

I am having a difficult time with them lately. They really screwed over a lot of people this last test. It makes no sense that a for profit entity is in charge of the professional licensing of an occupation. They have no incentive to be fair in anything.

This is the most ridiculous way of doing things. I can't believe these people. What the point of displaying things this way?

I am having a difficult time with them lately. They really screwed over a lot of people this last test. It makes no sense that a for profit entity is in charge of the professional licensing of an occupation. They have no incentive to be fair in anything.
What are you referring to? How they show the diagnostic for failing results?

During P&P exams, they can tell you how many questions were right vs. wrong. But for CBT, they can't really do that because, if I recall correctly, the cut score is based on the results of the people that took the exam at the exact same time in the same room as you. It's obviously easier to control the exam sites to avoid major irregularities when an exam is only offered twice a year. But when the exams are offered year-round, you need a better way to account for those possible irregularities, to make sure an examinee in Minnesota and one in Hawaii are facing the same test of competency.

I agree about the money aspect. The testing prices are pretty abhorrent sometimes and it makes no sense why NCEES has to be a for-profit entity in the first place.

Okay, so, I found out something very interesting today. There is no partial credit for the alternative item types on the PE Civil exams.

In the practice exam, one of the questions presents four diagrams and asks the examinee to label the diagrams with one or more of four different choices (Flexible, torsionally irregular, rigid, or torsionally regular). Three of the diagrams have two fields to fill in and one has only one field.

I managed to get six of the seven fields assigned correctly. But according to NCEES rep Ashley Cheney, "Each question has to be answered entirely correct to receive credit."

Does anyone else find this a little unfair, depending on the question?

View attachment 26229

View attachment 26230
I think you are so close :(
Please keep on trying!!!! I just got my results today and failed 😭

Back